1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 Vaccines - Updates And Questions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Rihana, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We have started registering to receive the vaccine in TX counties. We are probably better situated than most states.
    Btw, in TX, you can go stand in line at a vaccine distribution place and if there are left over doses after the senior citizens are done for the day, they are vaccinating whoever is around. I didn't bother to figure all that out. We will get it when our turn comes. I do have friends who got it. DD does have classmates who already received their first dose(hint: doctors can give it to their kids). Its annoying when first responders haven't actually got it in some places.

gknew likes this.
  2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

CDC had announced that people who would come to the United States should have been tested NEGATIVE to infection before they board their flights to the USA. Airlines are advised to deny boarding to US Citizen passengers who do not have the certifications of negative covid tests. This takes effect on January 26th, 2021. [ Does anyone think this is aimed at Indian-Americans because of that date? ;-) ]

This includes US Citizens !!

click this link===>> Coronavirus Disease 2019

3. Hopikrishnan

I have received the emails [if you are a frequent flier member in some airline-group, you'd have got one]from airlines advising me about the Covid-19 Negative Test Certificate as a document for boarding a flight to America.

For countries where there are no facilities to test, one has to depart before January 26th, or choose one of two options: (1) go to a third country which allow USCitizens to land, and get tested for a flight to USA (2) be marooned until the policy changes.

People with OCI-visa planning to return to USA when it is warmer (March-April~~ ish) are lucky that India has lots of authorized Testing Centers that issue certificates for US travel. The other certificate of vaccination (the yellow vaccination card) would also be useful to bring along.

4. Hopikrishnan

Occasionally post-vaccine effects may include FEVERS -- this is just the body's reaction to foreign stuff that had been injected into you. The higher temperature of the body is conducive to the production of antibodies to fight the "infection". If you take anti-pyretics (tablets that reduce fever), you will decelerate the effect of the vaccine to produce these antibodies. The usual advice for influenza vaccine takers would also apply to the Covid-19 vaccine takers: you might feel feverish, but drink some herbal tea, and avoid tablets like aspirin, ibuprofen, tylenol (acetomenophen) etc..
    The recommendation comes up at 26:30 min. on the video

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

We have been advised that we can take Advil or Tylenol if needed after the vaccine, without affecting its efficacy.

6. Laks09

I just got an email from the hospital where I see my Gyn saying I can now receive the vaccine. I don’t have a pre existing condition and am not a first responder. I’m wondering how I qualified because the old people around me are yet to be vaccinated. I heard patients in this hospital are getting the vaccine but thought it was for people with pre existing conditions. Anyway, I tried getting an appointment and filling my pre appointment checklist and it let me. It’s a 35 mile drive and I’m wondering if it’s even advisable to go because I’m clearly not in 1A/1B categories.

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Get the vaccine if you have the chance. The more people that get vaccinated the closer we move to herd immunity. The prioritization process is not always the best but don’t let perfect become the enemy of good.
    Your county has likely allocated the doses to hospitals and the hospitals are distributing it as they see fit. They would have first offered it to their own employees. If they have leftovers then they will be giving that to their patients, since all the doses need to be used up within a certain timeframe.

Mistt and Laks09 like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Here is the information we need to know about the new mRNA vaccine.

COVID-19 and Your Health

There is a general perception that mRNA vaccines modify our DNA. This article explains that mRNA never enters the nucleus of our cells which is where our DNA is kept. Functionally, mRNA Vaccine teaches our body to generate a protein that fights COV-2 as opposed to traditional vaccines that injects a secure portion of virus into our system to develop antibodies. In fact, much cancer research nowadays is based on immunotherapy.

Physicians themselves differ in their opinions. Some suggest that the mRNA vaccine will take sometime before it defends COV-2 from infecting the body. J & J Vaccine is based on older and proven technology according to a few physicians and they suggest as it is a single dose, doesn't require freezing temperature, and made out of COV-2 virus, it will prevent the patient from hospitalization and/or death. The proof is in the pudding and only when data is actually collected from those who were already vaccinated. Even though the emergency authorization process by FDA is supposed to be after checking the efficacy, it is still considered as an approved use of an unapproved drug. At least, it is heartening to know that the size of the trial in each case is a fairly large number of human subjects across the world.

After so much frustration in registering to get vaccine as Florida followed a method to distribute vaccine doses to each county and each county asked the citizens entitled to get the vaccine to visit a website when the vaccine doses are available. Invariably, this patientportalfl.com collapsed due to excessive traffic. Thanks to the House and Senate members who happened to be Republicans, who were able to bring some sense into our Governor to create a preregistration process at the State level. Now, we are getting weekly information about when we would get a vaccine dose in our arms. As of now, only frontline workers, patients in long-term care, and citizens above 65 years of age are eligible.

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Laks09

The online portal let me get the appointment. I’m going to go and try. The DH isn’t a patient there so it’s only me.

MalStrom likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Hope you get it! The only side effect I had a was a sore arm slightly worse than the flu shot. They will ask you to sit there for 15-30 min after getting it to make sure you don’t have any acute reactions.

KashmirFlower and Laks09 like this.