1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Calorie Counting And Losing Weight With Desi Food

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Misha33, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Misha33

Misha33 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies
    Last year was a tough year in many ways , and I know a lot of ladies here will relate to the fact that sometimes when we r facing any difficult or stressful situation we turn to food for comfort, and that's exactly what I did as well and as a result I am up close to 20 pounds, I cant believe I gained 20 pounds in one year, so the beginning of this year I made a resolution like many of us do to lose the pandemic weight , but I think its difficult to lose weight with desi food, so I was thinking of starting a youtube channel and create veg and non veg recipes with full calorie count and macros so we can calorie count while eating desi food and lose weight. I know it's going to be a lot of hard work but if I can have support from you all I will be motivated to do so , so please let me know how many of u will be interested thanks

Indeevara, Saahasi and Angela123 like this.

2. Misha33

Misha33 New IL'ite

Bump, not a single reply, just let me know with a yes or no if this is a good idea or not .thanks

3. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

This involves a lot of time and work! I have seen people eating such foods for every meal and then switching back to unhealthy eating after reaching their goal weight as they eventually give in to what their body craves. It is definitely not sustainable in the long run.
    But I like your idea of combining desi meals with a few low calorie meals. I am following Rujuta Diwekars simple 6 small desi home cooked meals a day.It works! I have also included a few low calories tasty meals for 2-3 times week in my diet by choosing healthier options whenever we order from outside. Everyday is not a perfect day and I also have a cheat meal/snack once a week.

Indeevara likes this.
  4. Misha33

Misha33 New IL'ite

I made chicken and vegetables chowmein today for lunch ,its around 550 calories, I like to count calories for my meals cuz it keeps me on track on how many calories I am consuming in a day, I agree its not the easiest thing to do but I think once you start doing it, it kind a becomes a habit. I will look in to Rujeta Diwakar's plan but I think if I eat 6 times a day, I would easily exceed my calories for the day , right now I am trying to stay between 1200 to 1400 calories a day except on the weekends.

5. Indeevara

Indeevara Platinum IL'ite

Looking forward to it ! I ve been following Intermittent fasting from last couple of months, saw good results especially inch loss more than weight loss.
    In between lost track due to some reasons and couldn't get back to track in full swing. Started again from January and would love to do calorie counting too. IF with calorie counting gives good results I ve heard, but never knew how to start doing calorie counting. Appreciate any leads..

6. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Appreciate your idea. Please do share your channel link once you have it.
    Consuming less than the required calories in order to lose weight is a bit difficult but which is am planning to consider whenever I gain weight.
    Usually, every India visit I will again 6-7 pounds but this time due to COVID we got stuck there for 8 months(of course it was our own choice to stay back) so gained almost 15 pounds. Once after back here, It was hard to come back to my original weight this time.
    I really don't know how many calories consumed each day but this is what I did 3 months to lose weight.
    Breakfast - ragi malt and bowl of salad( sprouted green gram, carrot, celery, broccoli, walnut, almond, avocado, cherry tomato, baby spinach, baby beet, cucumber, flaxseed)
    lunch & dinner - of oil-free 2 8 inch Rotis and one bowl of oil-free curry and one bowl of curd
    evening tea with no sugar. whenever hungry apple/banana/berries. Daily 2 miles jogging and 30 minutes yoga.
    Consider creating recipes based on age group, activity level, or health considerations. Looking forward to your recipes. Good luck with your project.

7. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

Obviously if you have 500+ calories for every meal 6 times a day you will surely put on. The 6 meals should be small ( like you divide a meal into 2 portions ) and can stay within your calorie budget.You can look at Anikas power of fitness posts on IL to get an insight of Rujuta Diwekars approach. Good luck with your channel and do update us with your meal ideas.

8. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

I have started on intermittent fasting with Keto diet. Is this a good idea? Can u all suggest some good plan for balance diet with no added carbs?