To Buy Or Not - Contemplating Getting A Puppy

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by swiss, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

@nuss :thumbsup:Hamsters are good pets. They work during the day (can deal with a whole NY times newspaper) and sleep at night. Interesting to watch them at the wheel. No need to take out for a walk.

2. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for the inputs, we have fish already, i haven’t considered hamsters. my husband is also now onboard for a dog from a shelter . Fingers crossed. Will keep you posted on what we decide.

not sure if it’s mid life crisis or something but i feel i am craving for a puppy more than even my kid. :)

3. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Does your daughter have a look (breed) in mind.
    Small dogs are usually very active ( excluding pug) and need to be played with or get engaged.
    Large breeds are quieter (most if them) and could give you better space ...then there are Medium ones which are family friendly ( labs, golden retrievers etc).
    Family friendly breeds have an advantage that many of them would offer you baby sitting services.
    We have adopted an adult hound and although he is the most wonederful dog (no he really is!:partyhat:)not all want to keep him with other tiny breeds as they have a chase instinct whereas a lab or a birder collie would fit right in.

When you go on holidays the choice comes down to 'pet friendly'. Our car boot which used to hold loads of stuff is now our dogs space so needed to buy a trailer.

It is a responsibilty and its not like India where I used to have loads of dogs as 'pets' but not leashed and let free.

I am telling all this because a bit of research is needed. I am not scaring you, but actually getting you ready.
    Take an informed decission and its guarenteed that the joy you will get is beyoned words. Esp kids..
    All the best finding a furry soulmate!!:cheer:

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    swiss and Angela123 like this.
  4. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite