Switch To Signal From Whatsapp?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just when I have finally mastered how to pay using my phone at any drive-thru without annoying the folks behind me, along comes another technology question, decision and a Sisyphean learning curve to scale.

Should we be switching to Signal? Are you?

Will the Whatsapp chat history and contacts be transferred to Signal? :confused: Has some teenager somewhere built an app or utility for this already?

Induslady, Agathinai and Hopikrishnan like this.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

I heard about it from this OP. Then read some comparisons whatsapp-signal-telegram and I see this about Signal <source>
    Signal also collects much less user data compared to WhatsApp. When WhatsApp collects a huge pile of data including device ID, user ID, phone number, email address, contacts, advertising data and payment information, Signal only collects users' phone numbers.

Is Signal App fully secure?

The app that has become the most downloaded app on Apple App Store. It uses the open-source Signal Protocol to implement end-to-end encryption. The end-to-end encryption on Signal covers all forms of communication just like WhatsApp. Going one step further, this app goes ahead and encrypts the users' metadata as well.

In a bid to protect user data, Signal has the "Sealed Sender" feature under which no one will be able to figure out who is sending and receiving messages. This app encrypts all files with a four-digit passphrase and users can also get a local backup. This app also encrypts group calls.​
    Looks like I have to switch. And deal with porting archives later.

Rihana and Agathinai like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I’m not planning to switch. I can’t stand Elon Musk and am most certainly not taking advice from him.

Rihana and Agathinai like this.
  4. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

I am planning to switch to signal for more privacy though I have some difficulty with deleting Whatsapp totally as many I know still haven’t fully decided to switch over and I want to still remain in contact with them. I might have to prevent the access for contacts with Whatsapp after February. Privacy wise Signal is a better choice. You can just make your contacts to be allowed in signal and then you will get notifications when they also join. You can invite them but that means the other person should be willing to switch over.
    CBDE9520-EA0B-4824-8B6B-2E105B706620.jpeg

Induslady, Rihana and Madhurima21 like this.
  5. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

I am trying to tell most of my friends to switch over. Some have already done. Only waiting for remaining to switch over. If all does it would be easy to delete Whatsapp before the deadline.

More information about the differences.
    66544930-1A17-44A3-A0EF-FDF94EC82FE1.jpeg

Rihana and Madhurima21 like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2021
    Madhurima21, Induslady and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

WhatsApp issuing an updated privacy policy and requiring users to explicitly accept it is what seems to have caused the panic and exodus. Had they just sent it as a notification you see somewhere in the WhatsApp screen, not many would have cared.

I get that my WA data will not be used in any way that it was not already being used, but I might switch or at least try Signal anyway. Something about WA being part of FB makes it harder to trust WA.

Induslady and Laks09 like this.
  8. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Recalling the phrase..."if any service is free, then you are the product!"

Got this forwarded by a friend. Feels like this is much better :biggrin:

Data_Selling.jpeg

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

I installed Signal as one friend started using it. Within hours, I get notifications that xyz and abc from my contacts are using Signal. : ) So much so for privacy. Some of these people I couldn't recall when I last contacted them. : )

Got this as a forward. It is so funny.. can't resist posting in this thread:

WA.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Anisu and shravs3 like this.