1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Live In Nanny/ Cooking

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by varchana, Jan 7, 2021.

1. varchana

varchana Bronze IL'ite

We are looking for a live in nanny who can also cook for us. We have a 3 month old and a 4 yr old who will be starting school shortly. We live in West Virginia and prefer a Telugu speaking person.
    Is there a classified ad or something we can place in papers in AP or any agencies for the same? Any ILites have had any success ?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You want to bring someone from India or are you looking locally? I always see these types of ads in the Indian or Asian stores bulletin boards.

varchana likes this.
  3. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

4. varchana

varchana Bronze IL'ite

Thank you! I will checkout that site!!

5. varchana

varchana Bronze IL'ite

Either is fine tbh. that’s a great idea - I will place ads in local Indian grocery store if they let me.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I don’t know how you would bring someone from India. What visa would they be on? Local might be a better option. Also try putting out the word in your place of worship, if you go there.

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I have seen people hiring nanny from Europe/ south and Central America. I don’t think (but the rules might have changed) you are allowed to hire nanny from India. They are hired in in of the J1 visa categories.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

That sounds like the au pair program where the young women come for one year at a time and stay with a host family. There are also strict rules about how many hours the au pair can work and what tasks she can do.

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

You are right @MalStrom. That is an Au pair program. One of my colleagues hired through the Au pair program but she already had the person in mind and she asked them to register with the Au pair program and then got matched. Her Au pair is from Argentina. It was a one year contract and then they extended for another year (total 2 years).

Apparently, one can hire nanny on H2b visa as a unskilled worker but it is a long process and needs to be justified why a foreign worker needs to do that job. Other than the diplomats, I don’t think others can hire a nanny from India (or elsewhere). If the person is hired from abroad rules will be very strict- salary, health benefits, return fares etc would need to be in the contact.

It would be much easier for the OP to hire locally.