Does The Sun Always Rise In The Same Direction? No.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Dec 23, 2020.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Agree, I too observed this while praying Sun after dawn. Nice photos!

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Lovely photos OP
    Same reason as to why we have seasons

@kkrish would love to read your take on this, if you can find the time ....

Rihana, kkrish and SuiDhaaga like this.
  4. Deepsmara

Deepsmara Bronze IL'ite

Beautiful photos. We all know that sun rises in the east and sets in the west and takes the northern path in the first half of the year.
    Rest of year it's takes the southern path.
    Perhaps one can relate to the Sankranthi festival celebrated in the month of January. The day of Sankranthi is the day when the sun makes the transition from Dakshinayana(south ) to Uttarayana (north).

kkrish and SuiDhaaga like this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

Oooooooh. You mean Surya Namaskar?

This photo was a true gem for which I was fortunate to find! Or rather, it found me.

Ohhhhhh ... This makes it simple to understand. North path in first half of year and South path in second half of year.

Deepsmara likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Kudos to OP for sharing such an exquisite cosmic magic in a cascade of raising sun at a particular place in globe at around same time in different calendar months. It helps at a glance how the so called sun path is changed. A locus of all such points connected should give a kind of helixed spiral.
    But in astronomy Sun is a star - not a planet - and all our understanding at present is on the assumption that Sun is fixed at an imaginary centre along the axis of an elliptical orbit . This centre is one of the foci of that ellipse.

When Sun is fixed this way and earth going around it , why we are calling sun rise and sun path. Sun never rises are moves on a path! Only Earth centre is moving around sun and so distance of earth varies from sun causes all the changes in season and it’s own spin causes day and night.

From a moving train near lamp posts disappears in opp direction faster whereas a distance mountain appears move in opp direction very slowly.

Thanks for the query.
    I do hope, I have not added to your doubts or apprehensions!
    Regards.

Christmas in the Air! Season's Greetings! May God bless you and IL family.

Deepsmara and SuiDhaaga like this.
  7. SuiDhaaga

This is a good point.

Sun remains fixed, it is the Earth that moves around!

Sun is Center of our Universe, not Earth!

Deepsmara likes this.
  8. Deepsmara

Deepsmara Bronze IL'ite

:hello: Sir your points are very valid

Thyagarajan and SuiDhaaga like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @SunPa for remembering me. I am honored to know that you connect me to a celestial occurrence. Glad to offer a bit more information.

@SuiDhaaga
    Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures. APOD from the NASA website is a treasure trove of information. Lovely pictures those..

The sun "appears" to move north to south and vice versa during the year. However, as we all know, the sun is stationary and it is the earth that orbits the sun. While orbiting the sun the earth also rotates on its axis which causes night and day.

If the earth was upright on its axis, then sun will be perpendicular to the mid latitude (0 degree) of the earth which is the equator. Then there would be no change or seasons throughout the year.
    However, our earth is tilted by 23.5 degrees to its perpendicular axis.
    Hence, as the earth orbits around the sun, slowly different latitudes get aligned directly perpendicular to the sun, till at the northern hemisphere it reaches 23.5 degrees latitude. (This latitude is the Tropic of Cancer). This occurs between the period between March 21 thru June 21.
    Every June 21st the sun is directly above the Tropic of Cancer and this day is known as the summer solstice. On this day the northern hemisphere experiences the longest day of the year and shortest night. The famous "midnight sun" phenomenon is experienced by folks in the northern-most lands.
    On this day, the southern hemisphere experiences shortest day and longest night.

Then, as the earth continues on its orbit, the latitudes' alignment to the sun once again begin shifting till it reaches zero degree latitude, aka the equator, on September 21. This day is known as the equinox.

The earth continues its orbit, due to its axis tilt, the southern latitudes now begin aligning with the sun till it reaches 23.5 degrees south, which is the Tropic of Capricorn. This occurs on December 21, which is known as Winter solstice.
    On this day the northern hemisphere experiences shortest day nd longest night, while the southern hemisphere experiences vice-versa.

The earth continues its orbit and the sun-earth latitude alignment keeps moving till the sun once again aligns with the equator, which falls on March 21, equinox.

The movement of the sun's position is more conspicuous to those living closer to the poles.
    In fact, during October thru November I have had difficulty driving South due to the low position of the sun.

A valid point @Deepsmara
    I had wanted to write about this but could not get to it. Thank you for bringing this up.

The day of Sankranti should actually be December 22, the day true Uttharayanam begins.
    Our ancient rishes and munis had created the correct dates. However, for some generations, the calendars were not corrected for the leap years. Slowly the dates began moving back and now we are celebrating uttarayana on Jan 14. In 1900 it was on Jan 13. In 1800 it was Jan 11th.

On deeper observation we will notice that Ugadi and Tamil New year day sould also be on March 21. Holi, the welcoming of Vasant, will also fall on March 21.
    Leap day truly plays an important role.

Some years ago, my younger son informed me that Christmas began as a harvest festival. That connected me to Pongal, which is also a harvest festival.
    There is more for research and discovery about the connection between the calendars, our festivals, and the celestial movements.
    I want to read more about this.

Here is a video that will explain better what I had written.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Viswamitra, Deepsmara, Yumna and 7 others like this.
  10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@kkrish Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed reply, apologies to the little one for taking up his lovely grandma's time . But only you could give a detailed yet easy to understand explanation !

In school, my question to the geog teacher as to why we dont have 2 summers and 2 winters in a year if the earth's orbit is elliptical ? Learnt the 23.5 degree tilt in axis but never under stood why a small tilt would affect temperatures so much. Only when I my daughter was doing a project in her middle school, I got it. Because I had a globe and a torchlight to see the impact.

Rihana, kkrish, radv and 1 other person like this.