1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rajni Readies For Politics

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 3, 2020.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Forget articulating anything on Arnab's show (2 reasons for that: Like Balajee says, he never lets anyone get a word in sideways and the second being that he can't beat an ant - with due apologies to said ant - at a logical argument.)
    At least that is the impression I got reading the statements he made about teaching / learning languages.

Balajee likes this.
  2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Chanchitra mo. I honestly say I didn't watch the video. I never watch anything with Arnab in it. It is all high decibels and no sense I don't even subscribe to Republic TV. It gives me a bad headache. I am surprised why a man of Kamal's intelligence agreed to participate in a show on a channel like that.

3. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Yes, he is best at anchoring BIG BOSS

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I don't know whether you are being sarcastic but Tamil Big Boss shows a bigger IQ level than the Salman no-brainer. Particularly the book reviews and recommendations Kamal does during the weekend editions of the show.

5. satchitananda

I have to agree to disagree on Kamal Hassan's intellectual capabilities - I don't believe that someone who says that a dead language should not be revived and another being an 'infant' compared to Tamil should not be promoted and so in effect Tamil should be the only language other than English that should be spoken in the South is extremely intellectual.

As for Arnab, (even if I am going to get brickbats) I may not be very much in favour of his 'debating' or 'moderating' abilities, but I have absolutely no reservations about his sincerety, honesty or his intellect. Having said which, I have seen some programmes where he does seem to be capable to listening to the pov of others - even if he does not agree with.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Swati no language is "dead" as long as it has got a live literary canon even if it is not spoen. But let us face it, Tamil and English are the only languages in Usage in TNB. As for Arnab, his sincerity is precisely what is in doubt. An anchor has to be objective, encourage others to speak, instead of becoming a participant in a debate.But the way he expresses his views he is clearly biased and he allows those who back the ruling dispensation more chan ces of expressing their views than its opponents and steers the debates in such a way that the dissidents are clearly at a disadvantage.

satchitananda likes this.
  7. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

He has been telling he will be getting into politics from when I was a baby:roflmao:

8. satchitananda

Totally agree with the fact that no language is 'dead'. Also agree that Tamil and English are the only languages in use in TN. But that is precisely the problem - not so much for others as for themselves. Learning languages is an advantage to anyone who does it. To oppose a language to make a political statement is crazy. Why should people learn Hindi? Let us face that the majority of the states speak Hindi or some version/dialect of it. If one learns this language, one can get on anywhere and everywhere in India. Imagine if I have to learn Gujarati to visit/live in Gujarat, Marwadi for Rajasthan, Punjabi for Punjab, Bengali for Bengal. Instead if all spoke one common language wouldn't all benefit? Why can't they learn Tamil if they want to come to TN? Well, if they are smart, they would. If they don't, too bad. They have not done anything for their own mental agility or neuronal well-being.

As for Arnab, of course his views are biased - he has his own perspective. But I agree, as an anchor he should know better than to participate in the debate. But that does not put in doubt his sincerity or his intelligence. Just his debate conducting skills are highly suspect. To be honest, what I do is listen to the first introductory bit of the debate to get an idea of what it is about and the moment he says 'let's debate' I switch channels!!! :-D

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

No one is questioning Arnab's in telligence. He is intelligent enough to recognize which side of his bread is buttered. As for integrity, his channel is neck deep in the TRP rigging scam. Latest evidence gathered from the rating agency by Mumbai police shows that Republic and some other channels (regionsal ones) not only fudged their own TRP ratings, but greased enough palms in the rating agency to play down the TRP of rival channels.

10. satchitananda

Beg to disagree on that. The channel mentioned in the TRP scam was different (and for the record, they seem to be going scot free. No one mentions them or their role in the scam). Republic was not featured anywhere in the complaint. The MP are no longer to be trusted after their recent track record (ever since the current dysfunctional three wheeler is running the govt). They have been exposed and resort to strong hand tactics to silence anyone who tries to do so or to question them and we all know who their favourite whipping boy (flavour of the day) is. I believe it is the other channels who are toeing the line in return for a shut MP eye and attestation from them, while Arnab continues to shout himself hoarse (quite literally) no matter the consequences. So as for his bread being buttered, well, I don't think being jailed and hounded continuously are signs of that. He was made to run the rounds of the courts to get his bail. Even after that case after case is being slapped on him. Does not seem that the powers that be are doing a lot to save his skin. Feel particularly sad for the employees who are also being hounded for the crime of working for the channel.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020