1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Tired Of Washing Dirty Chai Pots Every Night

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by KitchSwitch, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

i use these pans for tea/boiling milk from ikea mostly , they are a little better to clean . or steel ones . and use the copper scrubber .rinse and soak the morning pan in hot water/dishwashing liquid/vinegar/baking soda etc and scrub off in the evening and again leave the evening pan soaked overnight and scrub next day morning.

also if you can check the dum tea in opos that will help a lot ...since its pot in pot it will help so much in terms of cleaning and also the tea tastes very good.

Attached Files:

KitchSwitch and Laks09 like this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For those who have dishwashers, the heated dry cycle helps with stubborn chai pots. We also have two that are used for AM/PM. Soak after making chai and scrub slightly with steel wool before putting it in the DW bottom rack. Comes out clean each time.

3. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

not sure what to say. are you asking , if you want your wife to stop drinking T or looking for buying the appropriate vessel. you already got good responses.

what you said, cannot be avoided. except soaking and using steel scrub.

i am tamil, i make curd at home . for that need to boil milk. lot of times, it over boils a little and has that dark brown black thick coating.

even cooker gets that when you over cook it. other indian dishes also stick like anything . if you make poori, vada. Vada mix will stick in the mixie like anything. :)

i do not see much easy ways. it is how indian cooking is.

4. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Milk when boiled on high heat tends to burn and stick to the pot. This tip I got here on IL.
    So to avoid it, milk need to be boiled on low-medium flame. Yes it will take slightly longer time, but milk pot will clean quickly.

5. Caughtinbetween

so true ... i almost cook everything on low or sometimes medium to avoid tough stains

Thyagarajan and Hopikrishnan like this.
  6. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Continuous gentle ladling (stirring in) to disturb the meniscus contact with the hot steel is a technique to reduce the milk-scum formation. We have seen this at home, as well as in late night dhaaba shops serving pista'-milk, and chai. Unstirred milk when heated would form a circle of scum at the meniscus, whether the heating is low or not. This happens to all liquids sitting in a bowl-heated or unheated. Slow evaporation will lead to the formation of a ring. How fast the ring sticks to the bowl would vary, depending on heat and surface of bowl.
    Is the OP getting advice for making Tea for his dW so as to make DW easier :grimacing:?

Thyagarajan and Caughtinbetween like this.
  7. KitchSwitch

KitchSwitch New IL'ite

She was ok with it as she just wanted tea no matter.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. KitchSwitch

KitchSwitch New IL'ite

Thanks ! I made chai today myself and kept low proportion of milk and that made things easier. I didn't get any feedback from DW so not sure if she liked it or not.

Thyagarajan and Hopikrishnan like this.
  9. Caughtinbetween

it actually gets easier to do it yourself instead of asking others to make changes :sweatsmile:, to avoid this hard scrubbing.
    i have long oscillated between letting H prepare his coffee on high flame or I take that extra work to avoid the hard work that comes later. sometimes i would follow him like a detective and lower the flame as soon as he steps out of the kitchen.

swarnamary, Thyagarajan, radv and 2 others like this.
  10. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Sneaky!! The same (sneaky!) may be said of Mrs.OP also. She may have left the caked-in pots in the sink with no soap-water soak to make it harder for the dish washer.... just to get him to make the tea for her in the mornings. And now, she is not about to look the gift horse in the mouth, and critique the Tea he makes. There are mysterious goings on between couples that nobody outside can fully understand.

Caughtinbetween likes this.