1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Love Partner?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Benadryl, Dec 3, 2020.

1. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

@Benadryl ,
    There is nothing wrong with your communication or writing skills except that you seem deflated and constantly under estimating yourself and feeling negative. Even if you don't receive any appreciation, you know your worth and how far you have come in life. Find some interests/purpose that will reward you more than you are able to give. If you are simply able to engage yourself & enjoy the process and it generated lot of positive feelings in you, job done. I hope you can understand what I mean here.

Just to tell you my father(78 yrs) never lost his blissful disposition even though he spends every minute next to my mom(72 yrs). He does not carry any anger/hatred towards my mom unlike me. Who is suffering more? Me or Him?

I have nurtured this deep desire that I should spend at least a day with my dad without my mom around. Couple of years ago, if someone told me this would never happen, I would have felt that am a big loser in life. But today, I am mentally prepared and slowly forgetting my thoughts because my happiness is not dependent on some event, touch wood. I have become numb over the years and the grief thus got sealed.

You can get there too if you allow yourself to welcome enriching & productive experiences instead of chasing one goal which is outside your control. I sincerely wish you the best!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Benadryl, SunPa, Mistt and 2 others like this.
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes of course it’s usually for guests.
    And looks like even your wife is working so expecting her to do everything is not fair in this modern era.. Unless one is sick expecting a partner to give water every time you return home is little too much.

How many times have you given water or keep the food ready when she returned home after a long tiring day?

And maybe your wife is an introvert and if she has any emotional trauma she hasn’t discussed this with you.

Also since you already spoke about getting into other relationship with her I don’t think any wife will take it casually and keeping that in mind she is not able to love you like how you want it to be.

In any relationship one will always give more compared to the other.

DDream likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was referring to the drama surrounding the post. Who could deal with that much over a glass of water? What is the simplest explanation for it? That’s the suggestion I gave. Not everyone is there to take advantage of you. Sometimes we do expect from adults that we don’t from kids. Which is to fend for yourself.

@Benadryl - A spouse is supposed to complement you, not complete you. You’ve mentioned the void multiple times. I felt it came from a place of low self esteem. All of your statements surrounding simple events are self deprecating. Something that someone else cannot fix. This feeling of inadequacy and being a doormat won’t just go away when you find someone else. Hence the suggestion to seek counseling. But if your attitude to it is she will say “blah blah blah” then how will it work? An open mind is essential.
    Nobody deserves to feel like this. You do need to help yourself out of this negative self talk. Unless you value yourself, nobody else will.

Your wife and your FOO are two different sets of people. Don’t mix up the two. You have to separate the issues with each set and address them as such. Are you the kind who goes on and on about it and then does nothing? Don’t be that person. Compartmentalize and work on fixing what you can and know to let go of what you cannot fix.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Metamorphic, I usually don't respond to suggestions posted by others to OP. But when you say "Ladies" and give us deeper insight about this symbolic glass of water, I want to respond.

OP "took the kids out so she can have her own time." Not because he was home and can take the kids out. The unsaid is the kids are her job, any relief from them is a reprieve she better be grateful for.

"She takes the kids in" after they return. Two young kids who return from an outing on a summer day during a pandemic need a lot of attention. More so, if the mom did not accompany them. Dad will have to fend for himself temporarily.

OP used the term "this woman", not once but twice, for his wife while describing the water glass incident. Partner, Wife, Spouse, Missus, Consort are acceptable terms. Calling her "this woman" in her absence due to an unoffered glass of water is jarring.

But all that is trivial. Here is the main thing:
    so I don't really mind and go searching for my usual bottle of water - which again - despite hundreds of requests is not in its usual place.
    An adult saying "my bottle of water was not in its usual place despite hundreds of requests" raises my hackles like anything. In a house with little kids, nothing will be in its usual place for years. Deal with it.

And a more basic question: don't we take water with us when we go out for two hours in the blistering sun?

All the above pales in comparison to:
    Why can't she be bothered to even have the muscle memory of offering water ?

The expectation is that she should offer water by muscle memory. There is a difference between expecting a glass of water and expecting that it can be or should be offered by muscle memory.

We are not taking the glass of water thing literally or quoting it separately, we are seeing it in the totality of feelings and thoughts that accompanied it.

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Exactly. He think its her duty to take care of home and kids. And if he do his part( ideally he should contribute 50% of daily work / kids care as she is also working, taking care of home, and managing two kids below 5 yrs), he is doing a great service that needs lot of applauds and appreciation. Good that he is contributing. But that's not enough most of the time with two kids. May be she is not getting any appreciation. So she dont feel like giving it or think its his duty to do. Its hard to remember your need all the time. Little bit of empathy and understanding won't hurt.
    Op feels he is giving not getting anything back. May be his wife also feels the same. I believe, this situation improve as kid grow up. Instead of worrying about small things, trying to spend time together that may help. In many cases, men feels neglected when small kids are there as women focus fully on their kids,its not their fault fully, because nature created them that way. But sometimes this neglect has its own effects in their marriage. Its not possible to be a super women all the time.

I think so much water has flown under the bridge. I read op' s old thread in 2017 on similar topic. But still its the same. That time also ilites suggested counseling. I hope he will take that seriously this time and try to go for it. I dont think a person alone can satisfy all our needs. Thats why we need a life our own with hobbies, friends, or other activities. Also she is supportive of you to help our family. That alone can create resentment in women's mind as I understood from the relationship with inlaws forum.

The fact that OP discussed his wish to go outside marriage to fullfill his emotional void, alone is enough to drive her away . It can make her detached emotionally. Complaining about small things ( its very important for OP) can make her feel like there is no use in trying as its difficult to satisfy her spouse who always give the impression that she is not enough. Look like she has given up on it or she has strong resentment. Thats why she is not trying. Why its so. Only she can answer. We don't know the other side of the coin. In my opinion, both partners should try their level best to fullfull the love and emotional needs that only a spouse can satisfy. Also its important to understand love languages.

We can't change others. So we should know who we are and we want ,our positives and problems. When we don't love someone, expecting them to full our emotional needs is too much. We should know how to give love to our partner only then we get it back. Most of the time this contribution is not equal. There is a belief that some people are not expressive. I disagree, when you love somebody, you should express it. But it come naturally especially if you are with the right person. One should be happy enough to spread happiness. Our love tank can drain away when there is lot of work stress, tiredness, broken trust, lack of affection etc...when its empty we can't contribute anything. So we need to figure out and fix our own problems before complaining.

OP, hope your decision to go for therapy will help you and give you an answer on why you feel this way. May be couple counseling also help your wife to reveal what's in her mind. Do your part, rest is not in your hands. Give some time and have lots of patience.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, the intent is not to dissect your post here or older threads to eternity. In fact, as suggested by Hopi, post #23 deserves an FP nomination. It is rare to read such content from a male perspective. I would have nominated it thought not agreeing with all it said. But thing is that before nominating real-life related posts from Relationship, I always check with the member by an offline message whether they are OK with their post getting more noted in that way. At the same time, unless I have interacted extensively in threads with them over time, I don't initiate offline message with openly male members. : ) And for all we know, like Hopi, OP might also have disabled the "Start Conversation" setting.

This is partly specific to OP's situation and partly generic about one partner's expectations in a marriage changing over time.

OP, you chose the arranged marriage route. Maybe parents had a major say in choosing your wife. You might have had only a few weeks or months to get to know her and say yes. You were presumably fine with the limitations and risks of this method or just didn't know better. Get married and then have two kids within five years (?). Life is by your own admission too busy for words (no time to go to the bathroom). One child needed more attention too. I gather there was no help from parents. There was/is no practice of getting a babysitter just so you both can go out though (again presumably) you make good money. After both kids are a year or more old, you get some breathing space and start to reflect on your life, marriage and your expectations. Meanwhile, your wife is going about life like most women do after an arranged marriage - have kids, work (or not), take some courses, usual arguments with husband about household chores... She says you are the only son and should take care of your parents and give money no matter what. To most people, it would appear like she is keeping up her part of the marriage bargain.

Without even having tried individual or couple's counseling, you have "discussed this with partner and am open to idea that we can find another partner who we are very much in love with." It is this convenient contrast that I don't understand. If you are savvy enough to read and understand about emotional availability, being there for spouse etc, and recognize its absence in your marriage, why don't you know how counseling can help? Even allowing for east-west culture difference, a counselor in your country will suggest basic things like "more I statements, less you statements", playing fair, communicating with respect, handling stalemates. You cannot want those fancy (IMO) qualities in a marriage but dismiss counseling outright as you have.

One thing that also stood out to me in reading your posts was that there was no mention of any redeeming qualities you find in your wife. The closest was that her parents would be your role-model on how to parent. Generally, when women post a similar problem, they include something like "he is a good provider", "good father", "doesn't object to me helping my parents", "helps in cooking" etc.

Generally speaking, not specific to OP's situation:
    People choose a partner through arranged marriage at a time that society or parents decree that they should get married. They get married, mostly with only a few months of getting to know the other person. Then, they accomplish the next to-do: have a kid or two. After that, only after that, their discontent starts to rear its head. They realize they want more or something different from the marriage and their partner. When such marriages result in a divorce, I can admire the divorce initiator for taking the bold step and respect his/her right to pursue happiness. My sympathies though lie with the divorced spouse who is fine with the marriage, who hadn't changed much since getting married, and for whom it was only bad luck that their spouse realized too late they want a different kind of spouse.

There are no guarantees of forever in a marriage. People can be madly in love, crazy about each other, get married and then the love dies. This falling out of love is unfortunate and happens. But, in an arranged marriage, to say after a few years, "I tried hard but I have not been able to love you, never really loved you..." is, sorry to say, cruel. Such self-realization or identification belongs before marriage or at least before having kids.

Go for counseling, both individual and couples. Give the marriage some effort. After that, if it still doesn't work out, leave the marriage. Do all that you can to do what is best for the kids in the separation/divorce. Accept the responsibility for ending the marriage. Leave the marriage without any "safety-net" assurance of finding love after that. Then, people will respect you for your choice, even if grudgingly. Staying in the marriage while whining about what it lacks and rejecting counseling -- not done.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  7. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana, I just tried to understand where he is coming from and with the experiences I closely witnessed in marriages in my close circles, I just gave a benefit of doubt to the OP. I thought just maybe, he has a valid version which was being defeated by the unappealing lines flashing in his original thread. I've read his earlier threads and thought through before answering. If you may observe, my thoughts in second post are different from that of my first post in the thread.

We all see and understand posts created here differently and that makes this place beautiful, vibrant and informative. I wrote what I felt.

But, may be I shouldn't have addressed "ladies" while trying to give a perspective. I was only trying to direct the participating members attention to a perspective/possibility in a very friendly way. Apologies if that was not as pleasant as I thought it to be.

OP is the best judge for his situation. I only wish OP will take a wise decision which best suits his life and his kids & wife's lives.

By the way, when you said "deeper insight" in the first lines of your post, I hope it is not sarcasm. Honestly, I do not feel I have a "deeper" insight than anybody here. It was just my understanding, which may sometimes turnout to be very superficial/baseless. Consider taking it easy please Rihana ?? :grinning:

Benadryl likes this.
  8. Benadryl

Benadryl Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your replies :innocent:

9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

That is an awesome perspective @Laks09 - thanks!

Firstly OP , my monkey mind wants to know why Benadryl ?

This is incredibly sad. Sad because as a child you were likely so deprived of the love and affection you craved that you have failed to see/feel the good around you. And that is why a well loved child hood is so important for a well adjusted stable adulthood.
    So many posters here , with a wealth of life experiences, taking their time to read thru your posts and see things from your perspective, and take time to reach out with their suggestions and ponderings -- that isnt kindness?

Amen!
    your first post barely showed your issue , each post, with examples builds a better picture. So imagine what a few sessions with a trained professional will let you do .

Errr... do you hear yourself ? What I hear is you have already decided that the counsellor will tell you that you are ok aka perfect, and that the problem is with your wife, she is the one who has to change for this marriage to get meaning full. Sigh!

I really think you really need individual counselling to understand yourself and start to heal the festering wounds of neglect before expecting anyone to meet your needs. A good counsellor will show the difference between what you say , what you imply and what you feel. And small changes to help you overcome your pain, to become self sufficient. You need to have faith in the process , in the counsellor ( the first one may not be the one you can click with). But if you cannot trust the process , I am not sure it will be that effective

There is only one person you can change and that is you, but if you have already made up your mind that you have done whatever you can and now it is up to wifey to change , and she wont, well not much you can do other than part, is there? You know you have had some emotional scars as a child, something that has in ways not allowed you to grow into a true adult.
    If you are not willing to invest in yourself to heal your emotional scars - the chances of finding a fairy who will be your soulmate and have that one body two souls - well it will be a fairy tale.

On a side note - two souls one body - aint that suffocating?

Edited to remove some not related quotes

10. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Do folks use wiki-how ? The location where all the how-to's are described with pictures.

We have already seen lots of great responses to the OP. And the OP has recognized that too with his thanks in #48.

Just for the heck of it, given the title of this thread, I went and typed in "how to love a partner". And voila... there is a how-to on that too. :astonished: I am amazed. Go on and try it: wikiHow: How-to instructions you can trust.

Thyagarajan likes this.