Can I Get A Job Around 44...45 Years?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by anika987, Dec 6, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Please don't hate me guys for asking this question again but I have noone else to share my feelings..think of me as your annoying sister and answer with some patience:) zillion sorry in advance..

Can I get a job around 44 or 45 ?

I still apply for some remote jobs and even in person.However,due to the second wave of corona..I had to stop.Husband and me have arguments about this a lot..

Today funny thing..hubby did not get angry.

He just sat me down and told me "I understand your dilemma.However,please understand one thing.It is best if our kid is in middle school which is just another 3 years.After that,it is easier even with the expenses as no before /after care plus easier as she is at an age to understand.Hence,even if you just earn $10 per hour,it will not be a waste.You will also find things easier.It has been so long since I have seen you truly happy.Can you just quit your job search for next 3 years and concentrate on your health and family?you can get some job at any age"

He said that with folded hands.

I said okay but my ever racing mind went into all permutations and combinations.

Will I get a job around 44 or 45 years even as a data entry?Plus my expectations of salary is too low and it is not like am searching for an IT job..

I am also tired of job search and it gives me a lot of headaches and stress these days and I can see husband worried about my health.I want to really quit looking but worried if I will get a job at that age..

drdiva likes this.

2. drdiva

drdiva Silver IL'ite

Following..I have the same ques..

anika987 likes this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Yes! One can get a job at any age unless it is in a specialized area of work.

Swetha52003 and anika987 like this.
  4. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Your old thread on the same topic has many wonderful replies..volunteering,building network, certifications all that matters...if you have these in your resume to fill the gap job at any age is possible..If one has a career break ,but not updated skills or not done any volunteering work to show getting job becomes tad difficult.this is an era where people are doing 2 jobs and doing studies and spend time during weekends to teach something remotely...competition is real..and freshers/interns are really smart when compared to our generation..
    So what is your plan to fill this gap till you reach the age mentioned above ?? Have a concrete plan and travel that route ..I might sound blunt but yeah we all should be realistic

Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  5. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Yes, you will Anika!

anika987 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have done some certifications and updated myself.I am still updating.

Also..am willing for even a $8 per hour job in the future..a basic data entry job.

7. mitali123

mitali123 Bronze IL'ite

Depends on your skills. I am not sure if people would be considering age so much if they find people with right skills

anika987 likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    Truly blessed . Icing on the cake perhaps!
    I TEND TO AGREE WITH YOUR DH. JOBS ARE PLENTY AT ANY AGE TO WELCOME YOU. THERE are always jobs for which age is NOT a bar excepting that person is healthy, reasonably educated and possess skills and full of common sense. Only very few jobs needs young and green ones or wet behind the ears.
    Right now look around many women in forty + are agile and active with their job even many began with nil experience.
    Converse is also true. Many women at forty more matured in managing domestic arena are capable of having their own startup’s and employ a score of women. Many women thrown to work at forty + due to abrupt change in family circumstances.
    You must also consider the impact to family personal, health, relationship, change in mental makeup etc - when bread maker or homemaker decides to stay away for few or long hours from home.
    This again depends on numerous factors and assuming no change in geography, world peace, no new VIRUS threat to world economy, and you & other members of family in robust health and so on and so forth...
    but with advancements in AI & Analytics, would there be any requirement of data entry functionaries?

Another possibility is that you will be employed as a partner - not employee- by your DH who might turn an entrepreneur.

Thanks and Regards.

God bless.

Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  9. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I don’t know situation in US a single im in India..but pls keep a positive attitude, something or then other will work out...
    Have you ruled out teaching or librarian jobs?
    You don’t have a choice right now due to pandemic and family constraints do freelancing work remotely till the time u get a proper opportunity.

anika987 likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have no idea why this random thought came to the mind -- what is Tamil for annoying sister? : ) Google thaata suggests: Ericcalūṭṭum cakōtari. Would that be accurate? : )

Really, you don't have to apologize for asking anything again. People repost older posts verbatim with no note of it being a copy. You, with apologies, ask questions that you have asked earlier. IMO, any copy/paste/repeat, with note, without note, with/without apology ..whatever are fine. Readers who mind have the option to read and move on.
    Of course you can. The likelihood of getting a job and the kind of job you might get are not going to change much in 2-3 years if other than being 2-3 years older there is no change from your side.

That calls for a new term to be coined. : )
    Awwww + Aiyyo = Awwo.
    Awww at the sat you down and tolded.. and Aiyyo at the folded hands.

OK not to add to your worries.. but one thing struck me when I read about DD being in middle school. There is a small chance, very small possibility, that as our children grow older, they might sometimes be ashamed of having a parent in a low-paying job. If the parent is doing that job to feed the family, they will be fiercely proud of the parent's efforts (and write about it as a life-changing-experience in their college application essay : ) ). But, if the family is otherwise affluent, the child might find it hard to respect the parent's low-paying job. The age of 12-16 yrs or so is a time they badly want to fit in with their friends. They will respect the people who work in such jobs, they will be compassionate and polite to them, but when it comes to own parent doing such a job, they might not take well to it.

Stop it, Anika. Your husband is right. Pause the job hunt for 2-3 years. Courting avoidable stress is foolishness at best. Use the time to do what AppuMom suggested above -- develop a concrete plan towards being employed in 2-3 years, start traveling that route. Make modifications as needed along the way.