1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bathroom Slippers, Yay Or Nay?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Nuzhath, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Nuzhath

Nuzhath Silver IL'ite

As Indians, we are familiar with the 'concept' of bathroom slippers. It is a pretty confused concept - to have or not to have a bathroom slipper. And, should the bathroom slipper be outside the bathroom or inside, in a dry corner?

Over the years, I have seen the rise in status of the bathroom slipper - from the worn out Hawaii chappals to the trendy plastic slip ons with rough pads that give a good 'grip'.

Now about the ubiquitous Hawaii chappals - the poor thing. It first arrives home as a bright white comfort-wear, with typically a blue strap. Over time, it is relegated to the bathroom door - a solemn finishing line for the slipper. By now, the edges have been eaten away, the white base is a slippery brownish shade and the straps have become loose.

In some households, the bathroom slipper is always carefully placed upright, presumably to allow it to dry. But I think it is exerting control. The mom of the house does not tolerate a slipper in its natural position. Kids know better than to break that rule.

And then there are some houses that do not have a bathroom slipper concept. Now, if you are used to going in with slippers, you are kind of left bare-footed and trying to control the urge. The hosts discretely try to find a slipper for you. As you rush in with that hurriedly found mis-sized slipper, you do wonder how folks can enter bare-footed. But in many cultures, it is the norm. So that is fine.

In some households, like the best laid plans, the bathroom slippers concept also can go kaput. It happened one day, in my house. Frankly, you can say I am the variable in this complex expression of bathroom manners. Sometimes, I am all into keeping cool dry slippers neatly outside the bathroom. Never inside, mind you. Imagine the lurking bacteria. But sometimes, I am fine if the family walks in and out in their own chappals. It is theirs, after all. Bacteria and fungus inclusive.

Now, on this particular day, there were a few relatives at home. One lady wanted to use the bathroom. As she left the room, I instinctively looked for the bathroom slipper near the door. Horrors. It was missing. I got up to get her one, when I noticed that the lady blithely had already entered.. and without batting an eyelid. Does anyone really bat an eyelid? Need to look into that phrase a bit more, at idle browsing time.

Seeing me a bit non-plussed with this episode of the misplaced footwear, one friend tried to calm me down. She surmised that, if that lady went in barefooted, she must be used to it at her home. This pacified me somewhat. On the rebound, I do not give the b-slipper concept a fig now. Be that as it may.

But, let's build the case of the b-slipper further. I do think there should be a de-something device. You should be able to slide the slipper into this device after use, and it should quickly sanitize it, and pop out the slipper - dry and clean. An advanced version can pop the slipper into a vertical position, just to please that finicky customer who likes to line up her slippers along the wall. It is dry, why line it up? It defeats the purpose - the salesman maybe tempted to tell her. But he has to keep an eye on his sales target, as well. So, on he goes - demonstrating that lever which props up the slipper vertically at the touch of a button.

Hospitals could sure use the device. Have you seen those large slippers near the labs, when you go for your tests. Does anyone really dare wear those huge rubber paddles? Sure, bet it is kept there keeping the male patients in mind. Feminism, any one? But we can let it pass, am sure men would struggle to fit their feet in dainty slippers. We women can oblige, never mind.

Hmm. There you are. The entire life-story of a bathroom slipper laid bare. A humble bow, so to speak. Now, we can just cozy up in our warm footwear and sign off.. till we meet next time!

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A delightful write-up, Nuzhath! Feels good to reads posts from you again.

I could relate to every paragraph. : ) Many years ago, the hosts in a house kind enough to provide us new bathroom slippers (white with blue strap) and the matriarch had been convinced prior to our visit that it would be okay for us to use them all around the house. I don't like to ask or receive such accommodations but submitted to superior masculine wisdom that said we should don these at all times. It was beautiful karma when an innocent 6 year old interrupted his TV watching and loudly asked the bearer of the masculine wisdom, "Why are you wearing bathroom slippers in the drawing room?"

We women have this uncanny ability to mentally follow or track guests as they venture into parts of our house without our expert guidance accompanying them in person. : ) If a guest goes to my kitchen and I am not able to follow her, with speed that will put the latest graphics card to shame, my mind will recall the state of the kitchen, what she is looking for, and which cabinets she is likely to open.

When I came across a brand that most closely resembled the blue & white Bata Hawaii chappals, I almost decided to buy stock in that company. Now it is a ritual that in the summer of every odd numbered year, I buy 12-15 pairs of those -- for the front door, back door and the garage door.

3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Interesting indeed. Poor bathroom sleeper !!! And then there is some confusion about bathrooms/restroom/toilet/shower. In our household in India and in USA bathroom/ shower (with or without bath tub) include toilet/restroom and the family members are used to leave the sleepers outside next to the door mat and make sure that the sleepers are dry before he or she enters the other room.
    Guests ask for sleepers if they have not brought their own.
    Daily visitors, some leave their shoes at the entrance, some enter with them. They do not mind using the rest room with or without their shoes.
    We live in a magical world.

Thyagarajan and Nuzhath like this.
  4. Nuzhath

Nuzhath Silver IL'ite

:) You resonate with me. One of my other friends commented - she has two near the bathroom, one dry and the other 'drying'.. I love that kid already!

Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Nuzhath

Nuzhath Silver IL'ite

Yes. each house has a slipper-rule, the written and unwritten!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The paradox of bathroom slippers is that they are more comfortable elsewhere except bathroom. Where they tend to slip and one tends to fall. A barefoot bather is better than one with footwear. Bathroom singers are injurious to our eardrums and bathroom slippers to ourselves.

satchitananda, Thyagarajan and Anisu like this.
  7. Nuzhath

Nuzhath Silver IL'ite

:grinning:

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Quite a hilarious piece and good take on slipper or sleeper ( @HariLakhera ) use for bathrooms.
    2. I was wondering how monks in palatial place would use their wooden chappal in bathrooms when they go on foreign tours?
    3. This reminds me how I coped with my dad in his nineties was struggling to put his feet into slippers of Bata Hawaii chappal before entering the restroom.
    4. My mom would insist that we all wash feet well inside bathroom at the back yard and once again at out side, when we were resided in an independent house.
    5. Many times I forget to wear before entering rest room - I get in come out to wear and getting in - and out I forget to leave it near door of rest room and enter other rooms with rest room chappals on that leads to bickerings..
    6. Rubber chappals - slippers - at times cling to wet-tiles leading to fatal fall. My friend’s dad had a fall sequel to his frightening at the site of a rat when he was in locked bathroom. Friend called firefighters for help. The old man said not only he got frightened but the slipper folded a bit as he was trying to come out.

I have now done away with this slippers to rest room.
    Thanks and Regards.

God Bless.

Rihana, Nuzhath and HariLakhera like this.
  9. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

10. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

Bathroom slippers is a yay