1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Cope Up With Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by shravs3, Dec 3, 2020.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I have been reading about this for long time. I have it at home but haven’t used it regularly. So need to try. What dosage do you recommend? Atleast in India we have Ayurvedic doctors but in US there are not many Ayurvedic physicians.

This is exactly how I am :smash2:

I was actually doing yoga religiously and it was good but now due to some complications I’m not doing it continuously. Hope I get back to this routine as soon as possible.

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@Metamorphic
    You have given some good points.
    I dint know that basil seeds help with anxiety. Will definitely try it out.
    I need to very much work on No.4

3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you all for the help :blush:

4. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

But very less. Like 1/4 of a tea spoon.. and the teaspoon needs to be small too.:grinning:

shravs3 likes this.
  5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

If you really need any professional help then consult a psychologist. Psychologists focus on providing psychotherapy (talk therapy/counseling) to help patients. Psychiatrists prescribe medication, psychologists can't.

6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

I got from Wegmens.

GNC also has .

shravs3 likes this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I suffer from overthinking and anxiety too..but I am keeping it in control through the following...

1) exercise
    2) yoga - this is awesome!
    3) anulom vilom pranayama
    4) satvik diet
    5) Avoid or Limit caffeine! Huge difference
    6) stopped watch negative movies,Facebook and other social media.
    7) started to write down my emotions in a journal
    8) prayers
    9) practicing acceptance.I do not resist and accept my flaws and surrender to god..helps me better
    10) decluttering and organization..very big stress reliever
    11) music melodies

The above calms me a lot..
    Hope it helps dear

Hosanna, SCA, Laks09 and 3 others like this.
  8. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

There are naturopaths that you may try.just like the ayurvedic doctors

shravs3 likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @shravs3 ,

You have received some excellent suggestions. Like you might have realized, almost all of them are long term for them to be effective on a continuous basis - work in progress is how I see it. So for starters, I think the goal has to be not overcoming anxiety as much as how to bring a pause to the thought that is running a mile a minute. If you realize you are anxious because of your thoughts, you will learn to pause. That I belive is not possible by just sitting down in meditation though in the longer run meditation helps a lot. So you need to see what works best for now. Personally for me, mantra meditation helps a lot. Anytime I catch my mind running off (in your case anxiety rising), I recite a shloka deliberately, savoring the words. It is like some people asking you to count. I like shlokas only because somehow it reassures me that I am sending a request out to the universe and it will be answered.

I also have developed quite a few quirks, if I can call them so over the years which help me be mindful. For me, being mindful is being aware when my mind wanders and bringing it back to the task on hand or many a time, simply not allowing the mind to wander at all. For example, while driving adding up the numbers of car plates to single digit helps mind not to wander. Of course, nature now keeps me enthralled! At work, I take stairs as much as I can and going up and down the stairs I always count the steps. I have often been teased that stairs do not go missing :) I count because it helps mind not to race and when I count wrong, I know I have slipped, in counting I mean hence a hint that mind has slipped too! Sometimes instead of the regular 22 stairs, I end up with 16 or 24 making me smile and do this upload_2020-12-3_19-45-53.jpeg

So, having a few habits like that and switching to them as soon as you see you are sipping will help in being mindful - taking you away from your thoughts and bringing it to a task. You are simply aware of your stress and you are making an attempt to move away from it, deliberately. Eventually you will learn to be present. It may take years but for now, drawing your mind consciously to something like a shloka will be a good start.

Having a regular yoga/meditation/exercise goes a long way though. I usually keep goals 2 or 3 at a time like say half hour yoga, 10 min mediattion and 20 min reading. The reason I suggest 3 is - you will learn to complete 1 of the three all the time, or 2 of the three sometimes or all the three every now and then. That completion of one will give you a boost you need to bring discipline and when you can do all the three, if you drop one, it will also teach you how to be easy on yourself and forgive your self also. But you will have mastered a habit of one discipline certainly and it will help you feel like you are in control of something at least.

Just be aware that this learning, learning to cope with all the challenges we are faced with and to become self reliant is life and it is a life long process. I wish we can say I am done, learnt it but you and I know it doesn't work that way. Life is indeed work in progress. You have identified what bothers you -self awareness is a huge step. I am learning now that adding some discipline (for self care) and still being gentle on ourselves and those around us will help.

PS: Sorry about the ramble but I just felt a need to share what works for me and I am afraid I may even sound cuckoo but all that I have written certainly helps me! Go figure!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Hosanna, Nuzhath, SCA and 7 others like this.
  10. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Golden words! Thanks Srama! Thanks Shravs for starting this thread :)

shravs3 and Srama like this.