1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sharing Spouse's Medical Reports With Family

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

This is so true. Especially for Americans who had moved back into the "eastern customs", and have the same family clinic or doctor. Doctors tend to talk about the BP, lipids, cholesterol, or "sugar"-control of the husband/wife to the wife/husband, when s/he visits the clinic for his/her own wellness checks. It could be so annoying. In many countries, there is no such thing as that HIPAA thing (such a good rhyme for a rap!!) . It is like living in a collective family; everybody's private affairs are everybody else's entertainment.

Apropos the OP's "Why not humor the old parent...", the only way it can be done is to change some of the personal identification information on the medical reports, especially the birthdate, nationality, address. I am sure that the old people may not recognize the changes, and pass it on to whomever medicos they want to consult about the reports and feel placated.

Rihana likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

: )
    That reminds me of the time a neighbor from my childhood street visited us at home. She had come to the U.S.to help her son/DIL during childbirth and after. So, we did the picking up and dropping her back. My DH was driving. As she and I were reminiscing and catching up about our mutual neighbors, teachers, everyone's health etc, out of the blue, she asks me something like, "meeki taggipoyinda?" :facepalm::facepalm: At first I didn't get it, and when I got it, I was mortified and simultaneously so grateful that DH wouldn't understand the question at all. : ) She meant to ask if nature had cleared me for freely entering holy places any time of any month. : )

Later, she had no qualms in disclosing that "Rao" and she slept separately as there was no more need to do otherwise. When I thought she was going to add a companionable, "How about you?" I hastily got up to take our tea cups away. : )

Hmm.. I don't know. If the reports are on CD or other electronic media, editing is tough. And like MalStrom said earlier, it is not like they will be quiet after getting the reports and showing them to their preferred doctor. Inevitably, they will start with the try this/ try that suggestions and that "send the latest reports" takes on a life of its own.

Hopikrishnan likes this.
  3. Venkat20

Venkat20 Gold IL'ite

It all depends on what type of disease is..

Hopikrishnan likes this.
  4. Hopikrishnan

:roflmao:
    :tongue: This happens in the west as well, more so in America than in Europe.
    When people (even relative strangers, or colleagues in drinking parties) divulge something from their private life, they would immediately try to round up a support group with "how about you?". Even if there is only one other person in the party. Sometimes people are even forced to fib in order to belong to the group, if the whatever-activity is deemed a good thing to do.
    Sorry ... I had made you hijack this thread about medical records.

5. Hopikrishnan

ha ha ha. You were thinking of :clap2:*, weren't you ?
    Incidentally, that class of diseases was the original cause for the implementation of the strict confidentiality of the medical records in the USA.

*The Clap

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  6. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

C should not share the reports with the family as yet.
    First, C should talk to B again about why s/he is hesitant about sharing the reports with the family? Talking can help C feel at ease, and maybe be convinced on sharing reports with the family.
    B should not share the reports in case C reiterates that s/he doesn't want to share reports. Trust between husband and wife is way more important than relationship with extended families.

Saahasi and Hopikrishnan like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If I were the spouse I would tell the parents that medical reports are at the dr’s office and only C can request and receive his own reports. There is no way for a spouse to get the reports without C’s involvement. That should put an end to the parental pressure.

blindpup10, SCA and KashmirFlower like this.
  8. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Had the families been completely kept out of loop, it was fine to not share. But since they know the diagnosis, no harm in getting another opinion. Who knows it might actually help. But better talk and convince C before sharing. C may be emotional, shocked overwhelmed.

9. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

depends on the gender. men are more private they do not like, ego or pride . not judging just my observations seeing my h and son.