Attending A Wedding In Covid Time?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Nov 25, 2020.

Would you attend the wedding?

1. No.

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Depends on how close the bride or groom's family is to me

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Maybe, after consulting doctor about my pre-existing health condition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If there was a wedding being held in Covid time, 200 guests in a medium size function hall, would you attend?

Question is about a wedding in the next few weeks, which is well before vaccines become available to the general public.

I don't know about how they got the permission to have such a gathering or whether it is legally allowed in that city as of now.

2. Rihana

To my surprise, when I asked a few close friends and family, the response was mostly along these lines:
    I would if I didn't have xyz health condition.
    I would if the bride/groom family are very close relatives or friends of us.

I expected an unequivocal No. Which happens to be my response.

3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I can't attend because I don't like to take/welcome the risk. I tell same thing to the wedding party without hesitation.

Rihana likes this.
  4. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Absolutely not.

...diverting...
    But I am in disbelief at all the decisions/risks people around me are willing to take. I visited an apartment complex recently to pick up something from outside someone's home. I was shocked to see all the kids playing together just like the old times. I fully understand the social needs that are going completely unmet for these young children - but at least masks? kid's may not be able to implement keeping 6ft distance - but it didn't seem like they were even asked by the parents to do so. :-(
    Cases are significantly increasing in our county and schools are not in-person (except for private schools). It was like parent's didn't get the memo on why schools are closed. :-(
    ...rant over...

Rihana likes this.
  5. Rihana

I was thinking of searching for your thread on people socializing in Covid time. Have so much to post there!

In the past few days I have bitten my tongue or pressed backspace in Whatsapp so many times... and saved some friendships and relationships! : ) I generally take the position that there are varying levels of precautions that people take, and there is always someone more careful and less careful than one is. But, the latest decisions by people leave me shaking my head. And these are close friends.. call up at 3 am for help kind of friends.

One who lives an hour away is hosting or attending 3 parties this weekend, each with 3-5 families. She invited us over to a just-our-2-families dinner. Patting myself on the back for managing a creative "no" response.

Another has relatives visiting our area from out of town and wants to invite them home for dinner. Her husband said no way. She asks me what-should--I-do! How to convince husband!

Yet another wants to make a trip to India. A trip that is essentially just-like-that as it's been 1.5 yrs. !! Her parent is touch-wood doing good health-wise, and the entire clan including her two siblings live almost next door.

And the wedding that had me start this thread... : ( People in their 80's are attending. : ( I believe 200 is the guests number they told me as they knew what I'd say.. actual expected number is 350. :unamused: I get why the wedding has to happen now-- the groom is visiting from abroad finally and it has already been postponed enough. The bride's side don't want to risk the groom's side changing their mind. But how about smaller gathering, like 25 people or so, and a bigger party in a year or year and half?

Done rant...: ) Back to FB viewing and marveling at people's enthusiasm to cook and celebrate. Scratch that. Cook, clean, celebrate and clean. : )

startinganew likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely not.
    it is extremely irresponsible to have such a large gathering when Covid is surging all over the country at the moment. No one is going to follow any social distancing or mask wearing at such events.
    There was a recent wedding in Maine where the guests went home and spread Covid and it ended up with 7 deaths, none of whom had attended the wedding. I don’t care how close the relationship is, I would not go.
    My better half is more concerned with social niceties and log kya kahenge, log kya sochenge stuff. I am possessed with the hide of a buffalo and have no qualms saying no in these situations.
    There have been 3 weddings among my friends children in the last 6 months. They all involved only the bride, groom and officiant with family members watching via Zoom. They will have their grand celebrations once the vaccine is widely dispensed.

startinganew and Rihana like this.
  7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

A lot of people are motivated by this speech

Rihana likes this.