1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Couple Separated In The Us: Passport Renewal For The Kid

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Lightsource, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Lightsource

Lightsource Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I need your suggestion regarding by friend’s unique problem.

She was living with her husband in the US. They’re married for 9 years and have a five year old kid. When the child was 9 months old, huge fight popped up between the couple and they are living separately. They aren’t legally divorced though. They are living in different cities at present.

Her husband is a chauvinist with dominating behaviour. My friend is a doctor and wasn’t allowed to work there. Unable to tolerate being treated as slave, she fought back and that led to separation. Now she’s managing with some work and is living with the kid.

The chid was born in the US and hence, a citizen by birth. Now that the child is 5 years old, it’s time to renew the passport, for which, I believe, the signatures of both the parents are required. Her husband is not accessible on phone and is not responding to any form of communication. Finally, the passport renewal has been rejected and the child can’t travel anywhere.

She’s not prepared to move legally for divorce because she’s scared about the custody issues, the finances and the mental torture involved in the process.

I need your inputs to guide her sail through this.

Is there any way by which she can get him sign the papers or get the passport renewed without his signature?

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

if she knows the address, why can not she sent documents or send someone. It is not for her but kid. if not, lawyer could advise.
    Btw, he did not see the kid at all after separation.

3. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Both parents have to be present or the missing parent has to sign a consent form, there is no other option, even if they are divorced this is the process till the child turns 16.

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

oh, btw, i think she can not also take kid of out country without other parents consent ( on paper). I mean she might manage to take out but there are chances of falling in trouble.

Ruby2019 likes this.
  5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Actually, since they aren’t divorced or even separated, she could take her kid out of the US without the dad’s permission.

I am wondering, does the kid ever see the father? If not, I would advise your friend to get legally separated or divorced and ask for full legal custody since the father has not been involved in raising the child. She should consult a lawyer- there are ways to make sure that she gets legal custody, if the other parent shows no interest in parenting.

shama146 and chanchitra like this.
  6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Your friend’s excuse about not wanting to protect herself legally is a very short-sighted decision. Dealing with court and custody seriously suck, but in the US, things are more in the child’s best interest. She would be more safe if she starts the process (in the location she’s at), so that there is no way that she would be asked to bring the child back to the city her husband lives in.

7. Lightsource

He met the kid for a few times. But, unfortunately, there was no great attachment between them and surprisingly, the kid also didn’t want to be with the dad and actually stopped talking about the dad after meeting him.

He is not willing to sign the papers. So, there’s no point in sending the documents or sending someone

8. Lightsource

O
    Ohh!!! That’s too long!! Is there no way out?

9. Lightsource

How to take the kid out of US without a valid passport?

10. Lightsource

V
    Valid point! But she has to take the decision. I think, deep down, she’s wanting to patch things up. That’s why I wanted to know if there’s any way out for this passport issue.