1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Indian Garment With Fabric From Stores In Us

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by sanjuruby3, Nov 20, 2020.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I have seen fabric sold in US stores is so expensive and not close to indian garment fabrics.
    Not talking about silk etc but simple cottons are also either heavier or too stiff hence not suitable for indian garments. Did anyone try sewing Indian garment from fabric sold in US stores?
    My mother loved the fabrics and prints but because of weight, we did not buy to make her dress.

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

I bought few printed cotton pieces for kurtas which I wear with churidars. I find them very comfortable. They are machine washable, don’t bleed color. Being pure cotton they are very reasonably priced. If I remember right I bought from Joan Fabrics.

3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I have made skirts from cotton fabric from Jo Ann. It’s quality fabric, color doesn’t bleed and very comfortable.

startinganew likes this.
  4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

The only way to buy fabric in the US is by using coupons liberally. All of my sewing friends do this- use the 40% off coupon to purchase fabric to make it actually affordable.

The fabrics are different from what is available in India, but the cotton fabric especially, is very sturdy and comfortable. I have had cotton dresses stitched and they have lasted many many years. It has a lot of pattern, and I had not dye bleeding issues.

startinganew likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I like Fabric.com and they always have sales going on. Liberty of London and Kaffe Fassett have some gorgeous prints.

startinganew likes this.
  6. sanjuruby3

yes liberty of london is great .. i have seen online but never owned yet. but i have seen we have to buy more fabric than 2 yards and pay shipping. Moreover, i buy on whim and like the touch and feel. I normally do not have project in mind when i buy.
    but now i will try.
    Btw, will someone tell me, what cotton exactly you guys bought for kurti's. I had made one kurti from fabric i bought.
    Was my favourite color but it was stiff and sticking out. Same with few more cotton tops i made. So I deconstructed it all :-( So i learnt, need to look for lighter cotton.

O btw, on another note, my kiddo had yellow dress made from fabric here. She wore it in India almost everyday for 3 months. It was new so never wore here, only in india and neve after coming back. I got all the dirt while she played and got cleaned with other clothes in machine and all mixed up colors in just 3 months of use but still sturdy. I was thinking in US, its pretty yellow color would have ever stayed yellow. In just 4mo, it because yellow + blue + green and what not.

7. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

8. sanjuruby3

lovely print. It looks like regular cotton to me. I have so many pieces and i so want to make indian garments for myself when i watch some pics or videos. Then I dread necklines and fit and drape and leave the idea. Now i am going to try for next summer.

9. Nuzhath

Nuzhath Silver IL'ite

Iam from Bangalore, But I am an avid follower of JoAnn fabrics. I simply love the fabrics on their website. I am sure there are all varieties out there. If ever I travel to US, I will spend 2 full days at a JoAnn store!!
    pls do check it our - and post pics!!
    Regards,
    Nuzhath

10. Nuzhath

Nuzhath Silver IL'ite

Also there are many Indian websites which ship to US. u can try fabriclore.com.