1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions On Sharaab...is That A Problem Or A Boon For Desi Couples In The West ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Hopikrishnan, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

In movies Sharaab is always a problem. Sharaab in India is not your Pinot Noir or Beaujolais in a large glass that you swirl, and sniff with a nose held high, like a true cognoscenti. For Resident-Indians it is always presumed to be something 40-proof or higher, and drunk to get a buzz. With or without a masala-vada chaser. They also depict scenes in b/k/t-ollywood movies where a person drinks, and immediately misbehaves. The directors don't even bother to depict how long it takes for alcohol to influence the drinker. And then, instead of telling the audience that the alcohol does nothing to create new thoughts and values, but rather works to lessen the inhibitions to expose thoughts and values that are there already, but stay suppressed.

The question should be whether the friends/family want to know the truth or happy with the pretenses, and suppressed true feelings?

In movies about espionage, we will see scenes where the hero would get caught, and be injected with a truth serum (scopolamine is often mentioned in James Bond, or war movies) and would start to spill the beans.

Is a drinking spouse a problem or a good-thing when it is done within budget, and much is learned from the drunk while under the influence ? Never mind the truth-telling, a happy buzz can do wonders in other manners.

Do you drink as a couple and what are the benefits of that ? [We did this, and it is quite nice]

In my recent wellness-check, I was advised to give it up cold-turkey, until my BP (alcohol shrinks the tubes and increases b-pressure) gets back to reasonable.
    Does Drinking Every Day Make You An Alcoholic? - San Diego | API.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why think so much. Can't life be kept simpler.

I would suggest not being so hung up on truth-telling by self or by others.

I prefer if the pouring happens out of a bottle, preferably an expensive one that was slipped into the Costco cart and discovered only at the exit as the friendly receipt-checker tallies the items in the cart. The process of making fancy cocktails, and all that mint, lemon, spilled cranberry juice and whatnot to clean up is a hassle.

Thing1 joining us one time was an attainment of prominence that the said Thing didn't care much for. Much to our relief. : )

Hopikrishnan likes this.
  3. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite