1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life After A Baby

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Angela123, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations, Angela. I had been waiting for an update post. Happy to know that the delivery in these unprecedented times went off well (not to discount the challenges including the NICU stay..) and you are back to routine. : )

Lots of useful suggestions already in the thread.
    I am recalling some similar events from the past .. these get engraved in the mind so deeply that we remember the minutest details. This "attending meeting while on PTO" is a pet peeve my friends and I used to have when the kids were younger. It was like he doesn't really take the PTO, it is just that he is a tiny bit more available should he be needed. That having to text or call him to help with something, while he should be off work and already doing that something can increase the BP so much that one doesn't need to measure it. : )

I have learned that even though they mean well, men can be clueless. They need detailed instructions, reminders, pat on the back, and all that. For a long time, it was a standard joke among my friends, "How is your oldest child doing?"

I have a feeling your posts are more a vent and you are capable of managing this. You will reach out for professional help, and get through this busy, hectic phase of life wiser and a smarter mom.

Laks09, Angela123 and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

@Angela123 ,

Can you switch to pumping or adopt hybrid mode of feeding (direct + pump)?

When your husband is available in the evening or during weekends, he can feed the baby and you can take some time off. It works fine in the night for you as well.

I gave my DD only pumped milk as I wanted to return to work in 30 days and also found a place in the office to pump during office hours.That saved a lot of stress and dependency on me. It also gives your husband time to bond with the baby.

Keep it simple and take it easy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I missed the part about cinnamon buns and curries. Unless you really love cooking and this is an outlet for you there is no need to do this. If you eat non-veg it should be reasonably easy to find a service that will deliver pre-cooked meals to your house. I would also look for an Indian lady who does this. I always see these ads at the local Indian store.
    Don’t do anything more than the minimum. I agree with Laks about taking rest when the baby naps. My mom would always shoo me off to at least lie down when the baby went to sleep. I formula-fed exclusively so it was easy to share night feeds. You can try to pump and have your husband do one feed so you can get a decent uninterrupted block of sleep. That alone will make you feel 1000% percent better.
    It is normal to have thoughts like this about your spouse at this time. Just take it one day at a time and remember things will gradually get much better.

Angela123 likes this.
  4. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Talk to your H about your needs and difficulties.most men are clueless about what women go thr after delivery.hire help,buy food,get your H to look after your elder one,dont spend too much time in cooking,cleaning etc ..instead use that time to take rest.

Angela123 likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Hi Angela- Congratulations! What a wonderful news!

If I recall correctly, your husband is a TT faculty and you too are in academia. The pandemic has been really hard for junior faculty with children. Your husband might be feeling torn between home and work and when you do extra things he might think you can handle it all. He might be feeling that he has to keep the social interactions (golf etc.) so he won’t miss out on faculty socials.

Just giving you an example. My husband and I are both TT. Our kids are in kindergarten and 2nd grade. School is at staggered schedule and they go to school on MW from 8-2. In the beginning of the fall semester, I was dropping off and picking up the kids on both days, staying home with them on T Th and my husband was staying home with them on Friday. He thought it was absolutely fine and actually complained about not able to work on Friday (he was working 7-7 on the other 4 days). I had enough after 3 weeks and had to ask him how he thinks it is equal division while we have exactly same jobs? His answer: I thought you were managing well . So, I had to sat him down and draw a schedule. I still stay with the kids on T Th but he picks them up one of the days, giving me 2.5 days at work without interruption.

We women tend to do everything we can (cinnamon rolls for example) without thinking about our health. I understand that not everyone can nap when baby naps but do get rest when you can. Try cosleeping (if you are okay with it) with the baby so you don’t have to walk to feed her. Order meals or buy healthy frozen alternatives and stock up your freezer. The travel system is great for walks. Attach the car seat to the stroller and take the baby for the walk or tell your husband that you need time and he can wear the baby while in meetings. If you can find a cleaner, please hire them.
    Start asking for what you want. I start telling my kids and husband what I would and would not like for my birthday. Don’t assume he knows. Same thing with chores and other stuff, tell him in advance, ask him to put on his calendar so he won’t forget. Make some time for yourself.

Strong women suffer the most because they can do everything well by themselves but they don’t have to. My husband went back to work 4 days after our first child was born leaving me all alone with the baby and when he was supposed to be on the paternity leave. He learned his lesson and stayed home for full 3 weeks of PL when our daughter was born (although mostly in virtual meetings like your husband). I was so frustrated and mad and almost thought about leaving him too . So relax, you are exhausted and proper rest will help a lot.

Angela123 likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:CONGRADULATIONS .

My heart is bleeding yet I congratulate for begetting another angel.
    You have proved yourself you are capable of overcoming any hardship by your sincere love and compassion for fellow beings.

These are my words of comfort to heal while your other bosom friends have come up with pragmatic perspectives for you to brood over in these seemingly moments of crisis.

But then your situation is not something that has not been encountered by other mothers. They had showed you the methods to survive and overcome. East or west home is best! Always!

With seasons greetings

Angela123 likes this.
  7. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Congratulations Angela ...was thinking about you lately :)

Angela123 likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Which is ok right? We are in the middle of a pandemic and you just had a baby and from what I understand from other posters you may have also dealt with a NICU stay. I’d say focus on the good part - baby is with you and both of you are happy.

Having gone through it myself I can tell you that this phase shall pass. It is a lot more stress for the mom when a baby is in the NICU. It did take a lot out of me. I had all the help and still felt like DH wasn’t “there” for me. I just couldn’t explain how. Basically, I put my life on hold to take care of my NICU returnee and my older kid and DH was still going on runs and going to work. He didn’t even take his paternity leave in full. It was frustrating, depressing and downright annoying that everyone went ahead with their lives while I was tending to a tiny baby who couldn’t step out.

From experience, I think it was my postpartum hormones and the stress of being a NICU parent. In a few more months the baby will be big enough to go in a baby carrier. A month or so after that the baby can go in a stroller. Each of those milestones will give you some flexibility to get out a little. Until then, take it one day at a time. Don’t worry about the clutter and cooking etc. Just do the bare minimum and get plenty of rest.
    Btw, I struggled to nurse my son. Don’t lose heart. We were successful, we co-slept after he was 6 months old and he nursed exclusively for 8 months. He was weaned only at 28 months with great difficulty. If nursing is causing you a lot of sleep deprivation, the odd formula at night won’t hurt. I know I didn’t want to do that but now looking back I realize it wouldn’t have mattered at all.

They grow up too fast. You won’t remember the clutter or the enormous amount of work. You will remember the cute baby phases. Take a lot of pictures and videos. Cherish the moments. Time flies!

Angela123 likes this.
  9. DavenaRosalie

DavenaRosalie Silver IL'ite

Congratulations Angela. Life after a baby is very challenging. We may have different experiences but the lessons we will learn from it are what really matters. Time flies so fast and you will not notice the hardships it brought when you see your baby grow cutely and healthy.

Angela123 likes this.
  10. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

i was not able to breast feed my older one, so I am determined to feed this one and also I find it really easier than pumping or formula feeding as it involves less cleaning up sanitizing and less hassle when going out etc. and I don’t have to worry about anything else except for baby gaining weight. I got more sleep by breast feeding than doing formula or pumped bm bottle feeding. But we will be bottle feeding her when I return to work and DH will be the one working from home.

hridhaya likes this.