How Can Women Protect Themselves When Traveling - Or Should They Just Stay Home

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

About avoiding travel via middle east: when I or my child are returning after a late dinner with a friend, we often have couple of routes we can take home. We avoid the one where the freeway goes through cities known for high crime rate. The reason is that if worst case we have to stop for gas or car breaks down, we would rather avoid those cities. Obviously, crime happens in the other "safer" cities too, but we are simply taking the route through cities known to be safer. So, if I have a choice, I will avoid travel through the middle east.

Enhanced security check at airports and body scanners are inconveniences we are prepared for. There is often the option to refuse the body scanner and ask for a same-gender security person to do a pat-down. There are rules the security person has to follow for the pat-down.

Travelers being pulled out for more checks based on skin color, country of origin, religion etc are discriminatory and known to happen. These should not happen. Ideally, the traveler raises awareness of the incident. Often, the airline or airport is forced to respond when the incident goes public.

A vaginal exam of women in their reproductive years and a pressing of the tummy area for older women, performed in an airport, with no existing guidelines for the procedure, with the women not being aware of the reason for what is happening, is not comparable to body-scanners or pat-down search.

Abandoned babies are one of humanity's saddest cruelties. That it can happen in an airport also must be a surprise for all. There are steps that officials take when babies are found in public places. After this incident, hopefully there will be steps identified for cases where babies are found in airports. Steps like more security cameras, more check on babies traveling without passport, etc. An invasive physical exam of all women who passed through that area around the time the baby was left there is not acceptable under any circumstances.

deepthyanoop and SuiDhaaga like this.
  2. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I am searching for latest TSA guidance on how to opt out. When I first heard of rapescan machine I was thinking who will ever fly. Greyhound, car, and even ship, perhaps, but plane?

If person triggers can they opt out? Worst case scenario, they miss their flight, but keep their dignity. All I see is social distancing info, What should I expect at airport security checkpoints? | Coronavirus FAQ

I'm looking for latest official guidance on this. All these 3rd party websites say if person doesn't go for full body scan, they get invasive pat-down. Now I am really curious to know TSA's policy.

I heard this happened with a Baywatch star and I don't find update, Donna D'Errico, Former "Baywatch" Babe, Still Fuming Over TSA Body Scan

I would think she could ask for same-gender TSA agent.

This is well-said.

Really sad when weakest members of society are treated like they are disposable. Perhaps there are steps if abandoned baby is found in USA, but I am unsure about these other countries.

3. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I really havent heard of such a blanket invasive check on women passengers ? Have you?
    Only in a place that treat women as sub humans can think up such check matter-of-factly.

Agree with @Laks09 , except that the comparison is that of eating apples to durian with the peels.
    Abandoning a new born is a crime, but comparing that to a terrorist or a drug smuggler ?

Personal decisions. I for one am looking for travel early next year. And this has made me decide not to take a flight thru ME. In these fluid times, the any kind of rules that can be imposed by any country but the last thing I want is for that to happen in ME and be stuck there.

Yes genuine concerns. But invasively examining dozens of women secures the baby's future ? How?
    And surprise,surprise, that despite the checks they couldnt find out the "mother". Perhaps she was one of the staff? Wonder why she would do that? Perhaps she is afraid of their archaic law, and that made her abandon her baby - because she didnt want to be jailed and her baby to grow up in that environment.

Traveling with family/friends wouldnt make a difference in these these incidents.

This!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Rihana and SuiDhaaga like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I have heard of such checks in many places, including India, Sri Lanka and in the US but unfortunately most of these incidents were not reported unlike what these brave Australian women did. Thanks to their Government for taking this matter seriously and acting upon it. That's why we are discussing these matters here. But it doesn't mean those unreported and isolated incidents have any less impact for those who went through the pain.

This time it happened for abandoning a new born. Earlier due to the suspicion of smuggling and terrorism. The point is, in most of the times these women (and men in some cases) turned out to be innocents.
    Technically, you could be subjected to this kind of violence at any given time for any given reason just because of the difference in your race, religion and color of your skin.

I wonder whether these airport authorities would have done similar check up on Arab Muslim women who wear a burqa that day?

But I personally know of a Muslim woman who went through almost similar experience at one of the airports in the US due to the suspicion of terrorism.
    Similar incident happened to an Indian guy (a medical student) in Belarus on the suspicion of Drug smuggling. In both cases, these friends of mine were able to prove them innocents. But who will pay for their embarrassment, discomfort and pain?
    And just because these incident happened due to terrorism and smuggling, doesn't mean they are acceptable and the impact is any less of what these Australians faced.
    They could be oranges and lemons in varieties, but they are sour fruits in taste.

I remember reading somewhere that Bollywood actors Sharukkhan and Amir khan were strip searched in the US too. Not sure though!

I wholeheartedly condemn the act that happened at Hamad international airport. It shouldn't have happened to any passenger. Period.
    But my point is such incidents happen at many places, not only at airports, and not only in the ME. So, if we are to worry, then we must worry about it collectively rather than acting upon a single incident.
    Eg: Rape happen everywhere, but what shook us more was the rape that happened in a bus in Delhi back in 2012. There were many riots and discussions about it. Just because that particular rape incident became popular in the media, one shouldn't think such incidents happen only in Delhi. It happens everywhere, and it can happen to anyone!.

Point is, we must find a way to combat such violence performed under different circumstances, but mainly due to human differences.
    As of now, I feel a bit protected with my UN identity and the UN diplomat passport. But

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Durian with peels :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: