How Can Women Protect Themselves When Traveling - Or Should They Just Stay Home

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Oct 27, 2020.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I had been a lifelong Lufthansa customer other than my very first flight to the US on Air India. I switched to Etihad the last few trips to India because I liked getting customs over with in transit and then just stepping off like a domestic flight back in the US. Never again. I’m reactivating my Miles and More account.

Rihana, SuiDhaaga and Laks09 like this.
  2. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

That is true.

Of course, I've seen ladies go to the bathroom with a co-worker, etc when possible. But I guess reasons are different. But who knows? Maybe it is 100,000+ years of developed human instinct against predators (mostly male)

This is sad that you won't visit cousins. Hope they can come and visit you.

I hope we continue to take wonderful things for granted in USA!

I wish there were different buttons other than "Like". This paragraph made me very sad.

Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

This.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

5. SuiDhaaga

The comments for the story are disturbing --- person is blaming the victim by saying it is a few rogue girls who should have disposed the pads properly. Horrifying!

6. DavenaRosalie

DavenaRosalie Silver IL'ite

they could have used body scanners and stuff, why strip search them?

7. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:
    thank you Sir!:blush:

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Women being strip searched for 'Whatever" reasons is not something new. It's been happening not only in the ME but also in Americas, India and everywhere. Just that, we are selectively blind or chose to live in denial.

For the cops and relevant officials, this is just a matter of performing their duty. They don't care about the women who is subjected to this kind of inhumanity.

It is no different for men either. In many airports, men were falsely strip searched on different reasons, including terrorism, drug smuggling etc... The shock and effect is same for both male and female victims.

While condemning the horrible act of strip searching at the Hamad international airport in Qatar, I would like to reiterate my point that such horrible incidents happen everywhere and ME is not exception.
    So decisions like "not travelling again, or not transiting through ME" needs to be verified, because no airport or for that matter, no place is safe for women. Period.

So, the question arises as to how best we - as women, fight against this kind of injustice.

I am a frequent air traveler and most importantly I travel alone. I don't stop myself from travelling for this kind of isolated incidents here and there.

But I am worried about the child at the airport toilet. Who could be his/her mom? Where is she now? What made her to throw the baby at an airport toilet? and how come it was possible on the first place?
    Whether she bought the baby (with a PP and ticket) to the airport or delivered the baby at the airport?
    If so, how much pain and suffering she may have endured during labor, all by herself?
    So many questions comes to my mind...

On the other hand, what about the baby? Who has taken custody of the child? What about the baby's future?

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  9. SuiDhaaga

I thought of your post some more and adding further comment

We choose to live in denial because it is so horrible. I think we say, "She must have done something" or "It will never happen to us"

This shows how much society respects people, especially women. Lot of civilizations value women, their safety, their privacy. Their genitals are internal, delicate organs, which grow the next generation. They have bosoms that are external, and used to nourish the next generation.

Many in society do not care, or value this. Nor do other women value each other sentiments. Is there any wonder birthrates are declining in places where women get to choose whether they marry or not. Perhaps I am digressing, but this is food for thought.

There is more to being a woman than her private parts. Ayurveda teaches there is female energy and male energy. In Kali Yuga, female energy, female warmth and love are not valued.

Your words have given me lot of thought.

Men have their own dignity too. Only difference is, Men are expected to toughen us. But if strip search becomes more and more the norm, who will venture out of their house. Who will research, who will innovate.

Imagine having the cure for cancer and AIDS, but it is too dangerous to venture outside for fear of getting strip searched ---- strip searched by the same people whom your talents would help.

I am scared of going to airports. Unless you are 1st class passenger (because you likely have $$$ for lawyers and enjoy high influence), a woman (or man) is Easy Meat.

What happens if a woman refuses to be stripped search in USA?
    What happens if a woman refuses to be stripped search in ME?

Do women have the strength to refuse or were their raised since childhood to know they are powerless to say NO? Is this called gaslighting?

How do you protect yourself? How do you say NO?

From your previous posts it seems you are a Mother, so these questions come to your mind. Unfortunately this is a predator's world. Not a man's world, predator. It is likely she was raped (because in ME it is illegal for women to have sex outside of marriage). Even rapes carry severe punishment, and death.

-----------------------

Thank you for these chilling videos. You are right, these incidents happen everywhere, but I question

(1) What are the Chances
    (2) What recourse does the victim have

I feel more safe in Florida than ME because (1) Chances are higher for human rights violation (2) There is less recourse for victim, i.e. more red tape to get justice.

Some people don't feel safe in airports anymore, regardless of location.

Sadly, the ME authorities don't care about the baby's future. They are offended that a woman had sex (whether it was consensual or rape) outside of marriage.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Folks - There is a difference between security personnel doing a full strip search(has happened to men and women in US port of entries) and a conducting Vaginal exam on a tarmac inside a vehicle with open windows and men standing guard, after pulling women off of planes they have already boards. It’s an apples to oranges comparison. Nobody should be able to conduct a full blown vaginal exam inside a vehicle, without informing the women, without proper reasoning in the name of “saving” the mother.
    Everywhere where men and women are strip searched, they are triggered by an x-Ray. It’s not “all” women or “all” men just because they happened to be of thqt gender.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    deepthyanoop, SuiDhaaga and Rihana like this.