Recipes That Use Pre-cooked Chicken?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Rihana, Oct 31, 2020.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If you buy the whole rotisserie chicken then the carcass makes for a fabulous broth. I put in the bones, cover up with water, add carrots and an onion, some garlic and parsley if I have on hand. Either simmer on the stove or use the Instant pot. Strain, cool and freeze.

Hopikrishnan and Rihana like this.
  2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Reminded me of the after-school tiffin-pizza I had made for children (way way back in time) using shreds of roast chicken we kept in tupperware containers in the fridge. Open pita bread into two cirlces. Coat the rough inner side with spaghetti sauce, spread shreadded rotisserie chicken breast meat on it, and microwave the thing for a minute. Then sprinkle some cheese on it, and put it in the oven (set to broil the top) for 5 minutes. Wife might wrinkle her nose at it, but children would eat it up.

Vegetarian immigrant parents with meat eating foreign born children is quite common in Costcorica, a fictional nation of Costco outlets.
    Feeling squeamish to deal with a rotisserie chicken (uncooked nonveg comes much later, and things that bleed is way way into the training) is normal. People need kitchen gloves, so that it is easy to do what the lady does on the youtube video:

Fanciful big fork, sharp knife carving is not useful for roasted chickens. Good for Turkeys, because they are tougher and drier for finger separating the meat, placing it in ziploc freezer bags and storing them (fridge for upto 3 days, freezer for longer storage) for later use: Leftover Roast Chicken Biryani

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Rihana and MalStrom like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When I’m in a pinch, I use this for tacos. I pack chicken strips, mashed up avocados with some lemon juice, salsa and salad greens and cheese. All in a divided lunch box. I add some foil wrapped tortillas or taco shells. Comes back empty. I don’t like boxed meat but he likes it better than the painstaking instapot chicken tacos that I make.

Rihana likes this.
  4. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Yes, it is a great after school snack and if we choose to use whole wheat pita or naan base and add some moderate amount of good quality aged cheese and grated vegetables on top,it is pretty healthy too.I would say far better than sugar laden store bought snacks. One of my friend use spongy dosas like Ragi dosa and Jowar dosas as pizza bases :).

Rihana likes this.
  5. Hopikrishnan

Look up any recipe for Congee, the rice-stretching-soup. Here is one.

This is especially good to make in the( influenza )winter season.
    Congee tastes much better when made from Chicken stock (step2).

1. 1/2 cup of short grain rice -- wash well, and soak in some water.
    2. Take 8 cups of water in a large vessel, place the Costco chicken remnants(after all the meat is shorn off) in the water. Add half teaspoon of salt, (and optionally add some cut onions and celery) . Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for a couple of hours. Then, use a slotted ladle to take out all the floating things (skins, bones, onions, celery etc..) No need to be very thorough. Small pieces remaining is OK.
    3. Add the drained rice into the chicken stock. It is probably about 6 cups or more. Bring to a boil, put lid on, and let simmer until rice is cooked and the mix gets thicker.
    4. Serve warm with fine cut scallions, [optional: Ginger-garlic paste, drops of hot-oil, pickle piece]

Congee does not keep well. Make and eat; may give to cat.

You may come across internet people suggesting a Congee from left over rice. This is bad, and the taste will show that. If you have left over rice, make fried rice with egg or chicken shredded from a Costco rotisserie bird.
    Fried rice recipes are plenty on the internet. Recently I saw a critical review of a fried rice making by a Malaysian standup comic. Although he speaks perfect English, he assumes a personality "Uncle Roger" in some of these vlogs, and speaks Chinglish.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

Salads, sandwiches, soups, wraps, Kaati roll, open toast, naan or pita bread pizza, chicken cheesy nachos, chicken cutlets,fried rice, tawa pulao, chicken casserole,quesadillas, noodles, pasta, chicken curry puffs/samosa, spring rolls, chicken lettuce wraps, burgers, tacos, fajitas, enchiladas and the list goes on.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you. That is a really comprehensive list!

Looking for tried and tested recipes to make the items in the list.

deepthyanoop likes this.
  8. Hopikrishnan

This wrap-meat-in-tortilla, dunk in sauce and bake procedure reminded me of Tetrazinni, where the same thing is done, except the meat is planted into cooked pasta. And naturally, it is Italian.

This is popular in American families after the Thanksgiving holidays, when there will be roast Turkey leftovers.

My recipe adaptation (similar to many recipes on the internet. The pasta type would depend on what is available in the kitchen)
    1. Sautee cut onions, red bell peppers, and sliced button mushrooms in oliveoil/butter. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. [ginger-garlic paste, and frozen peas into the sautee is optional; I add this or just garlic and peas.]

2. Add milk to the sautee. Amount of milk ~/= about the same amount as chicken pieces. Let the mix come to a simmer. Mix in a teaspoon or two of parmesan cheese. This will convert what is in the sautee into a creamy sauce.

3. Grease a casserole pan with butter on the bottom and sides)

4. Cook some thin spaghetti in salted water. Cannelloni (angel hair) is very fast to cook. Cook al dente or even slightly less, i.e., until pasta is all inside the water and flexible. Pick up the pasta with Tongs and put it in the casserole pan (Corelle!)

5. Spread the cooked pasta at the bottom of the casserole, then put in the chicken/turkey pieces on top of the spaghetti. If you have any other cooked vegetable left overs, add them here, and spread evenly on top. Then pour in the creamy sauce evenly on top of the scheme. Sprinkle mozzerella cheese on top, like a pizza, or enchilada -- "enough, but not too much".

6. Cover, and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. The cheese on top would brown slightly, and the kitchen would take on that roast-cheese smell. Serve hot.

Here is a link to Tetrazinni
    She is using chicken-stock instead of milk. People can also use just water. Milk is good to make cheese sauces.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Rihana likes this.
  9. Hopikrishnan

@Thyagarajan ...tagging to a nonveg thread for a reason. I used puliodarai mix (MTR) to make a mixed rice that used rotisserie chicken from a delicatessen.

Recipe:
    1. Prepare sesame oil tadka - mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cashew nuts.
    2. Switch off fire, and add MTR puliodarai mix to the still-hot oil. Amount you add depends on taste, rice amount to be used. Gently mix.
    3. Add washed, soaked, drained rice to the Tadka. Gently mix without braking grains. Still no heat.
    4. Transfer coated rice to a microwave vessel with a lid. Add the required amount of water.
    5 For vegetarians: Add some mixed vegetables from your freezer bag (usually carrots, corn, peas mix).
    For nonvegetarians: Also add the meat from rotisserie chicken. dark meat work much better. Vegetarians might note that they may add proteins chunks in the form of vada's made from Channa/thoor or Garbanzo. A Garbanzo (chickpeas) vada is called a falafel in the middle eastern countries.
    6. Cover the microwave pot with its lid, and heat for 15 minutes at high.
    7. Rest for about 30 minutes, before opening lid to serve.

In the picture, you may notice the chicken piece, as well as a curry leaf (from tadka):

upload_2020-11-3_22-11-28.png

Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

pita bread sandwiches:
    cut pita bread rounds in half, open, place lettuce and tomato inside, and evenly divide the Cucumber Feta Dip and cooked ground chicken between pockets.

Sandwich :
    Apply Mayo to one side of each sandwich bread and top it with coleslaw and pre cooked chicken, cover it with another Mayo coasted bread slice, let stand for 10 mins n serve.

Lettuce wraps :
    Heat oil in a pan, add in onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add the leftover chicken,Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sriracha sauce and some cashew nuts.Cover and cook 2 minutes or until mixture is hot, stirring occasionally.Stir in cilantro. Divide chickens down shredded carrots among lettuce leaves. Fold lettuce around filling.

chicken cutlets:
    Grind the cooked chicken and mix with spices and mashed potato,coat with crumbs and deep fry or shallow fry.

chicken curry puffs/samosa :
    Simply make a Masala fry with shredded chicken and use puff sheets to bake curry puffs.

cheesy chicken nachos are easy to try with leftover chicken. Attached the recipe here.

Salads, soups, wraps, Kaati roll, open toast, naan or pita bread pizza, tawa pulao , fried rice, noodles, pasta,spring rolls,burgers, tacos, fajitas, naan or pita bread pizza all are on YouTube.

Attached Files:

Rihana likes this.