Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Rome was not built in a day. Texas is slowly but surely trending purple enroute to blue.

Laks09 likes this.
  2. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

3. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I like Saagar and Krystal a lot. I don't watch them much these days sure to lack of time but I started supporting Andrew yang after he appeared on their show. infact yang recently invited saagar to his own podcast and it was a treat to watch their policy discussions.

My favorite guest of saagar and Krystal is funky academic. He has appeared 4 or 5 times on the show and has unique perspective on everything from racism to pandemic, Obama's flaws etc. Saagar and Krystal let him loose and sit back and enjoy the ride. Don't miss this if you haven't seen and want to understand American racism in particular. It was eye opening to me.

Funky academic has his on podcast, but I like him on this show.

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  4. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Some of my favorite quotes from the Funky academic ( his name is irami osei-frimpong ):

1. This was during the Amy Cooper/Chris Cooper incident on central park when Amy cooper called the cops says an african american man is threatening me. Funky academic asks:

Krystal, do you think Amy Cooper is an anomaly with the way she called the cops on a black man, or is she like half your friends who thinks that they can get away with this.

2. <Deleted>

3. On why South Carolina voters voted for Biden over Sanders ( which eventually gave Biden the start for the democratic primary. Funky Academic says:

Black people are not sure what to expect from Sanders. He is promising a lot and they don't think they will get it. With Biden at least, they know he is a known devil. Yes he is promising nothing, but at least they know he is being up front about it and will not give them anything.

( Neither I, nor the funky academic agree with the theory that Sanders will not deliver. Just the african americans thoughts )

4. On SCOTUS ( Amy Barret ), he says, it doesn't matter. If the black people think that they can get to court and expect justice, they are mistaken. The only thing going to court will give is publicity. You have lost much earlier than that.

------------------

The scary thing is that, now brown and black people are combined together in the racist radar.

---------------

Reach his website of just search "hill rising funky academic" on youtube

-----------------

Sorry to use the politically incorrect word black, instead of African American. I wanted to quote Irami, as closely I could.

Laks09 likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As long as the state house is purple. We want some checks and balances!

MalStrom likes this.
  6. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

You are doing the good work. Thank you.

Unfortunately our children look brown to black, and you are in a border state. And their body language says "we belong here", and many do not know how not to get into arguments. Desi parents have to fear such a combination, no matter who is President.

There is also this "shy Trump voter" phenomenon. People do not want to say that they will vote for Trump, in order not to be judged by a stranger from a phonebank or even an acquaintance from balvihar.

I saw this in Politico ‘People Are Going To Be Shocked’: Return of the ‘Shy’ Trump Voter?:
    "As an illustration, Kapteyn described what his team at USC sees in its polls. Beyond simply asking voters whether they support Biden or Trump, USC asks a “social-circle” question—“Who do you think your friends and neighbors will vote for?”—which some researchers believe makes it easier for people to share their true opinions without fear of being judged for their views.

“We actually get a 10-point lead, nationally, for Biden over Trump” when asking voters who they personally plan to support, says Kapteyn. “But if you look at the ‘social-circle’ question, Biden only gets like a 5- or 6-point lead. … In general—and certainly on the phone—people may still be a little hesitant to say to that they’re Trump voters.”

“We live in a country where people will lie to their accountant, they’ll lie to their doctor, they’ll lie to their priest,” says Cahaly. “And we’re supposed to believe they shed all of that when they get on the telephone with a stranger?”​

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Laks09 likes this.
  7. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Laks09 likes this.
  8. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Literally hating to watch the news. Swing states leads don’t sound good for democrats. Cannot even believe that people still vote for Mitch McConnell, Lindsey and Susan Collins, though I knew they would win.

10. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite