1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Had Pap Smear This Year? Can We Do Pap Now Irrespective Of Pandemic Situation?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gknew, Oct 22, 2020.

1. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

After having done my annual in April I had my biopsy for breast cancer detection done during the peak of pandemic.

2. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks @Rihana for the information about the mammogram.
    Is pap test painful?

3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hope it went well. Is that additional test with mammogram?

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Pap is not painful but it can be slightly uncomfortable for a few seconds.

gknew likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pain is hard to quantify.

This is the instrument used: Graves Vaginal Speculum
    This briefly describes the procedure: Vaginal Speculum: What You Need to Know

A line there says "... gently opens it (speculum) during the exam." The "gently" depends on the skill of the doctor performing the procedure. Mine has been my doctor for many years. Her eyesight is not as good now and I think she has become a bit clumsy and is always late for my appointment and so for the next one too. Not to get too graphic but earlier she used to start the process after making sure I am where she needs me to be (think "all crew in position" before take-off). Of late, she says "can you scoot down a little" while the process is well in progress. Yikes.

Anyway, considering the benefit of the test, it is a small inconvenience to go through.

gknew likes this.
  6. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I have not had one so far and my PCP hasn't recommended one yet. I am getting the Pap smear tests, but not this. I don't know the reason for them not recommending. And someone told me it is very annoying and painful. I am even wondering if it's worth going and asking for it. And considering this year's situation, I might not even be able to take one at the moment, even if it was prescribed for me upon asking.

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I think it depends on the doctor and the person’s pain threshold. For me, both PAP and mammogram were uncomfortable but not painful.

sarvantaryamini, gknew and Rihana like this.
  8. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

I go for a mammogram and breast MRI on the same day every year. For me, even though I get tensed with the mammogram, it gets over fairly quickly and if you relax your muscles and breathe as instructed, it goes fine.

But the breast MRI is another story altogether, they have to insert a needle into your arm and keep it ready so that they can inject the dye during the process. The needle is painful for me and having to stay upside down without moving or breathing too heavily for around 25 to 30 minutes is the worst of the lot.

I need to endure this every year for check ups. So in short the inconvenience of both PAP and Mamo is bearable considering all is well in the end. The pain threshold also is different for each person so go relaxed and even for PAP concentrate on your breathing and don't think of the procedure.

gknew and Rihana like this.