Will The Central Government Ever Stop Pushing Hindi On Tamil Nadu ?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Minion, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

I don’t know the origin of Idly but I have read this online sometime ago. This is from Periyava blogs. He gives reasoning about why we can it ‘Idly’.

The term iduthal (in Tamizh) refers to keeping something set and untouched. We call the cremation ground idukaadu (in Tamizh). There we keep the mrta shariram, mortal body, set on the burning pyre and then come away. The term iduthal also refers to refining gold with fire. The (Tamizh) term idi marundhu has a similar connotation: a drug given once without any repetition of dosage. In the same way, we keep the idly wet flour on the oven and do nothing to it until it is cooked by steam.

SuiDhaaga and Hopikrishnan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: This ought to be nostalgic for those who studied Sanskrit in school. The image of first page of my Sanskrit SABDHAM book was like this. We called it as hand book as it could be accommodated within palm.
    Thanks and Regards.

3. Thyagarajan

:hello: From Wikipedia
    According to K. T. Achaya, Vadai (Vada) was popular among ancient Tamils during 100 BCE – 300 CE. A type of vada is mentioned as "vataka" in Manasollasa, a 12th-century Sanskrit encyclopedia compiled by Someshvara III, who ruled from present-day Karnataka.

4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Only years later, those Sanskrit students would realize that the Sabdhamanjari was a grammar book of conjugations. A Wren&Martin for Sanskrit. And Panini is not just a sandwich, but also an ancient Sanskrit grammar guru. These Italian sounding* names :smirk: are everywhere in ancient language developments: Constanzo Beschi (Veera Maa Munivar) did that for Tamil.

Whenever I read a quote of a Tamil politico saying that Hindi is the first step to introduce Sanskrit throughout all of India, I could only LOL. Everyone who had studied Sanskrit in school for a few years would only remember Rama-Sabdham, really studious ones would also remember Hari-sabdham, and nothing beyond that. It is sort of like America-born and raised children remembering "Hola, como estás?", after studying Spanish for 2 years, and completing the language requirement for graduation.

Unless used in everyday life, it is tough to retain the language. However, it is useful to go through the exercise of learning it when young. Sort of like Calisthenics for the growing brain to learn something new, graphics, syllables, words, sounds, rules, usages. Keeps a child fit and prepared enough for using those expanded memory cells for something else in college.
    ------------------------------------------------------------​
    *Nothing certain is known about Pāṇini's personal life [4th or 5th century BCE]. According to the Mahābhāṣya of Patanjali, his mother's name was Dākṣī.[48] Patañjali calls Pāṇini Dākṣīputra (meaning son of Dākṣī) at several places in the Mahābhāṣya.[48]Rambhadracharya suggests that the name of his father was Paṇina, from which the name Pāṇini could be grammatically derived.[48]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:
    Yes. It is considered more complete language and most suitable for computer language. At one stage I heard it was being considered by NASA for developing space exploration computers.
    I remember some of subhashidhani Nearly six decades later. The language is rich and contains mine of life principles that touch all aspects from heaven to earth and hearth.

this reminds me thembavani as a part of tamil in my pre university .

Daily uttering those Sanskrit words in some form or other seems to set a kind of harmony. That is why listening uttering Sahasranamam considered the panacea for all issues and ailments that plague the society.

Thanks and Regards.

6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Lol

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

The origin is that in the late 1980s a NASA engineer on his own, and not as part of any official NASA study, wrote a paper[1] which said that because of the extremely strict grammar rules of Sanskrit, and the relative ease with which parts of speech can be identified in the language, it is a suitable language for Natural Language Processing, i.e. it is easy for computers to understand Sanskrit, because of it's strictness. All this paper finally said is that we can use Sanskrit than a formally defined language (or in other words Sanskrit is a language in human use, that is sufficiently formally defined).

This then got picked up by the "Sanskrit is the greatest language" section of the Indian population, and started being cited out of context and led to a few misconceptions including

1. Sanskrit is being taught at NASA.
    2. NASA programs in Sanskrit.
    3. Algorithms are most efficient in Sanskrit.
    4. We can get true AI if we program in Sanskrit
    The above are among the more sensible ones.

Also it is contended that even if Sanskrit somehow undergoes a revival and is more popular, many linguists believe any language being popular will reduce the strictness of the language, and hence take away that benefit from Sanskrit. In the past it was not an issue because Sanskrit was more of a formal language restricted to the higher caste and the learning of scriptures, and not the transactional language the common people spoke.

Is Sanskrit compulsory in NASA for AI (Artificial Intelligence) research? - Quora

9. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

With the same logic if tamilians can eat parathas, kulchas,butter chicken, Lassi, then they should also speak Punjabi.
    Let's not bring food into language learning.

SuiDhaaga and shravs3 like this.
  10. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Hindi has penetrated into lives of SI more than anyone can imagine . TN govt is not making Tamil compulsory in schools. If Hindi is forced in schools people will easily omit teaching Tamil to the kids. Already kids hardly speak Tamil in Chennai and it’s mostly spoken only outside of Chennai. If this situation continues Tamil will not be learnt for reading/ writing. That’s the main worry here. Center should not interfere in languages offered in schools. If Hindi migrant population want to teach hindi to their children they can find some schools who would offer them and let Tamilians learn Tamil.

BTW ittu - Avi - pour & steam is ituavi which became idly. Let’s not nitpick on origin of food names but stick with original issue here. CG should not force Hindi in SI schools, end of story.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020