1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aware & Beware Websites Fraud

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: CONTROL YOUR DEBIT CARD :hello:

With the increase in debit card usage, the frauds relating to this medium have also increased. Banks from time to time, has released many advisories, & cautions.

However, the same fraud not stopped completely. Keeping this in view, some banks are offering a unique service through which you can control your debit card by sending only one SMS.

The services offered include: -

· Debit Card PIN generation

· Blocking Debit card

· ATM Card Switch On/Off

Debit Card PIN generation

Now customers can generate their ATM Card PIN through an SMS. Send SMS from registered mobile number in new format like

PIN CCCCAAAA to xxxxx (SMS number)

Where CCCC is the last 4 digits of the debit card number and AAAA is the last 4 digits of the Account Number.

OTP will be sent on your registered mobile phone number. OTP must be used to change Debit Card PIN at any ATM within 2 days as OTP will be valid for 2 days only. Recommended to be done within 24 hours.

Blocking Debit card

Customers can block the debit card linked to the registered account in case of loss/theft. To block the debit card, one needs to send an SMS from the registered mobile number as ‘BLOCK<space>XXXX’ to SMS number (XXXX represents the last 4 digits of the card number).

On acceptance of the request for blocking, you will get a confirmatory SMS alert that contains the ticket number, date, and time of blocking. Please note that debit cards can also be blocked through the following means:

· By calling Bank Contact Centre.

· By visiting any nearby Bank Branch

· Through bank’s internet banking portal (only for personal segment customers).

ATM Card Switch On/Off

Customers can now control their debit card channels of usage by sending an SMS from their registered mobile number. One can choose to activate/deactivate usage at ATM, POS, E-Commerce, International and Domestic sites.

This means you can carry your debit card without any tension. The moment you feel to use it, you may send an SMS to Switch on the debit card. Once the transaction completes, one may Switch it off immediately.

For example -

· SWON POS XXXX to activate POS usage

· SWOFF ATM XXXX to switch off ATM usage

· SWON ATM XXXX to switch on the ATM usage

· SWOFF INTL XXXX to deactivate International usage

· SWON INTL XXXX to activate international usage

· SWON ECOM XXXX to activate debit cards on the eCommerce website.

· SWOFF ECOM XXXX to deactivate debit cards on the eCommerce website.

On acceptance of the request for activation/deactivation, the customer will get a confirmatory SMS alert that contains the reference number, date, and time of the request.

ATM Card usage can also be controlled.

These are new socially important developments in digital banking.

·

2. Thyagarajan

WhatsApp
    To have directory of your group in WhatsApp just type B+@
    In the field and don't repeat don't click the send arrow.
    You can see name -phone number.

3. Thyagarajan

:hello: My friend was discussing as to how he was duped by someone to scan the QR code sent to receive money credited to his account.
    Ok some smart nukes found newer ways of making faster bucks. But then how it was not occurred to my friend that it is out of character that some one approach in e mail and he had fallen into the trap. His moneys siphoned out of his account he says. He could not get any help from bank.
    I checked up on net & bank website.
    Quote(.)
    Customers are being warned of a QR code scanner fraud. The State Bank of India (SBI) tweeted that scanning a QR code is for making a payment, not collecting money. The largest Indian commercial bank shared a tweet to its customers informing them of the situation. The bank has stated that "You don't receive money when you scan a QR code. All you get is a message that your bank account is debited for an 'X' amount. Do not scan #QRCodes shared by anyone unless the objective is to pay. Stay alert."
    (Unquote)

For more info at: SBI, PNB & ICICI Bank Warned Customers To Never Share Confidential Information

KashmirFlower likes this.
  4. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Ethical hackers are not the one who creates phishing or fraudulent sites or exploit people. In simple terms, ethical hackers are the good guys and go by the law when hacking into any system and they are also called white hat hackers.

Black hat hackers or malicious hackers are considered as cyber-criminals they are the ones who exploit people/systems/security for personal gain.

I don't think it happened while making cashless payment to vegetable vendors, or other vendors when you are physically present there and making payment.

As of I remember based on what I have seen from news channels, newspapers, and crime patrol is I think it happened this way. This scammer calls people as a buyer and they want to buy their item which listed on Olx or other similar apps. They convince in such a way that they are really a very legit honest person and initially will send 5-10 rupees to gain trust and they send QRcode saying ok I am sending you full payment scan this you will get money click to proceed to pay. A lot of people got confused they thought that they are getting money and clicked pay and lost their money. Similar things happened with OTP sharing, they list something on then you call to buy that they will ask for some advance when you send they will say you sent me wrong/more money I don't want to cheat you and take your money I will send you back and I will send you my code to your number tell me that number. Similar few other scams they operated were text message phishing, something like mobile KBC game, sim card fraud, and many more.
    It's a big racket. A large group of scammers operating from Jamtara district in Jharkhand for few years. Every time when they get arrested and scams relived to the public they are coming up with new scams. They are taking advantage of innocent people's lack the awareness of technology. There is a web series also on this and it came in sony channel crime patrol too.

32 lakh ATM cards hacked: Is your debit card safe, should you change PIN? Everything you need to know

Large number of Phishers/scammers also use SSL certificate or HTTPS, and most top-level domains like .com, .net, .org, .info. Please don't think that if a site URL has HTTPS or .com, .net is safe site. Having HTTPS is no longer considered a safe site.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thanks for your detailed response and enlightenment. About hackers, I did mention only ethical hackers can UNRAVEL.

Regards.

Flyhigher likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

PHONE BLOCKED AND HACKED

upload_2021-5-20_14-12-3.jpeg

7. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

9. Thyagarajan

:hello: your Mobile 24x7
    watched :hello:

10. Thyagarajan

The scamsters do not use any real phone numbers and they are all computer generated and it could be from anywhere and with any country code, even it could be from another state within India, but cannot be traced at all!