Will The Central Government Ever Stop Pushing Hindi On Tamil Nadu ?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Minion, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

With diverse opinions on the political front, two fierce competitors in the political field Congress and BJP, agree on one thing and that is to enforce Hindi as a national language in the states who have been resisting Hindi for more than half a century. The dream is to make India into a two-language country one for national integration and another for international interaction. Anything that is enforced on people will never work. It has to be an emotional attachment to a language and the pride about the nation is not the same as pride about the language. Within the national pride, there exists pride in their state and its respective languages. Even though India is one country but it has diversity in terms of languages and cultures which is why their unity makes the world look at them with wonder. Europeans try to replicate this model in commerce, national security, tourism, etc. but they faced significant difficulties in working together and countries are still pulling out of the EU. They never explored common language as a link among the countries.

Hindi can't be made a national language by writing the city's name in Hindi or details of passport in Hindi or making Hindi compulsory in the schools or making the Judges to translate their orders into Hindi. It has to be spontaneous acceptance by everyone as a national language. There has to be a willingness to learn the language voluntarily. In general, the government is expected to listen to the will of the citizens and make all their communications convenient for the citizens to read and understand instead of telling them what language will make the citizens integrate with the nation.

If the government understands that the national integration is not in enforcing anything on its citizens but in understanding, accepting, and promoting the multi-cultural and multi-lingual nature of mother India, the nation will continue to thrive and will continue to command respect outside India.

deepthyanoop likes this.
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I am late to this discussion but I never minded learning Hindi in school. It stood me in good stead when we moved up north for my dad’s work. It was much easier to fit in at school and with neighbors once they saw I could converse in their language, even though we generally spoke English at school.
    I also realized how much easier it is to pick up new languages as a child. My parents had a much harder time learning the language when we moved, just as I haven’t had the easiest time learning Spanish as an adult.

shravs3 and deepthyanoop like this.
  3. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Hindi can't be made a national language by writing the city's name in Hindi or details of passport in Hindi or making Hindi compulsory in the schools or making the Judges to translate their orders into Hindi.

But that’s exactly what the central government is trying to do directly or covertly.

4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

That’s exactly what normal people do learn things that benefit them.

Rihana and deepthyanoop like this.
  5. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

A quick question, Is Spanish a mandatory language in middle or high school in US?

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Not mandatory.

deepthyanoop likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In middle and high schools, a subject can be an elective or a required course. Foreign language is usually an elective in middle school. In high school, typically three years of foreign language study is required for graduation, four is recommended to be competitive in college admissions.

Usually, the student can choose from 3-6 foreign language that the school offers. Other than English, no one language is ever mandatory. At least not in public schools.

deepthyanoop likes this.
  8. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Thanks Rihana, for the detailed reply.
    Minion, nice thread with so many interesting replies and perspectives :)

Minion likes this.
  9. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

After seeing Rihana’s reply, I quickly searched for the list of foreign languages offered in US Schools. Wow, that’s a great and fair list, considering all the different ethnicity in US.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

How to draw attention to irrelevant information, make a post and then add a note saying it’s irrelevant. :)