Will The Central Government Ever Stop Pushing Hindi On Tamil Nadu ?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Minion, Oct 18, 2020.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Ahem ... helpful tip - it's not the best idea to lump all SIs under "Madrasis". :wink1:
    Not all!
    Actually, there was a strong separatist movement, especially in TN, that wanted a "Dravida Nadu" - a federation of independent SI states, separate from "India". This idea was not given up until the sixties. Look it up!:eek:
    :beer-toast1:

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Minion - What you are saying and what some of the contributors are saying are mismatched. You as an NRI visiting Chennai finding changes is inevitable. That doesn’t mean Tamil is doomed. Even as late as past December, Mylapore was still Mylapore. Panagal Park was still operational at 100% Tamil. So were all the usual haunts.

Is there an influx of out of staters? Absolutely. Will they integrate. They will. Just because one cannot survive in Chennai without knowing basic Tamil.

And this dislike of Hindi is not just towards the language. It is also towards the people. Just like North Indians don’t like Madrasis, Chennaites do have a problem with all outsiders. Ask a woman who has driven a Karnataka registration car in Chennai and dissed an auto driver. He will berate you because you are from Karnataka. And it’s not a one time occurrence. The same treatment is given to Telugu people. These are also experiences. You can’t just claim one experience is more important than the other. It goes beyond a language.

I love Chennai, I love everything about the city but some people take it to the next level. So no, please don’t club all South Indians in your post. This is a uniquely TN issue.

Poster after poster has come and said we don’t need a third language(taught from the 4th to 8th btw and in a much lower capacity than the CBSE second language). Every state in India other than Chennai has had it for over two generation of school goers now and it hasn’t eroded their language. That’s just not true.

Coming to use of teaching a third language in school, what percent of things taught in school in India are actually put to practice outside? I can pick other subjects that have similar intent but is never used outside of the context of school. Has it hurt anyone? I don’t think it had made any long standing harm. Just like multiple things are exposed to kids at a young age, this is one thing. The entire Indian education system is based on teaching various subjects in school which may or may not be used later. It doesn’t mean there are no benefits of any of those subjects.

Coming to Tamil outside of TN. Most auto drivers, street vendors, ayahs, maids in Bangalore talk Tamil. That’s how I leaned the language. From the maids and ayahs. I’ve never been to TN until I got married and I could have decent conversations in Tamil. The reverse isn’t true. You yourself mentioned that it is used outside of India as well. Then where is the language dying because of Hindi being used on sign boards in addition to Tamil?

Kerala is the biggest contributor to India’s GDP but receives the lowest funds from the center. It is annoying. But then associating that with Hindi isn’t being done. Yes the GDP conversations have to happen but boycotting Hindi isn’t the solution. You are angry with a group of people who don’t have your GDP solution. Those are very different unique issues.

Tamil is going to thrive. You don’t have to put down other languages and people of other states to achieve that. Calling out lower GDP North Indian states and feeling superior isn’t necessary. Nobody is arguing that some
    of the North Indian states are poorer. That doesn’t have any bearing with your current discussion.

As someone who is living outside of India, you probably appreciate your culture and language much more. The distance makes the heart grow fonder. I hope you understand that the city you left couple of decades ago will evolve. Each time you go back, there will he changes that you can’t comprehend. But the essence of the city is the same. And as my husband always says, you can take a man out of Chennai but you can’t take Chennai out of the man. Those of you who are outside are also doing your bit in propagating the essence of TN to your kids. I think this fear of a takeover is unnecessary. Nobody can come to TN and survive without Tamil. Take it from a non Tamilian who goes to Chennai often enough. There is no Chennai without Tamil.

3. Laks09

Of course. It’s annoying when North Indians claim Hindi as the National
    Language that everyone should know. But when a group of people are conversing and someone approaches you in Hindi, calling that an insult to South Indiansness is also a bit much. And it happens quite a lot.
    As long as English isn’t made the language of instruction in all schools for every strata of the society and hence propagated into official use, this will continue. Both central and state governments are very stubborn when it comes to giving up Hindi and local language. Only when English is made the medium of instruction in a majority of the Indian schools, will it propagate over. This new education policy specifies the states can instruct elementary grade students in their mother tongue. That’s not progress according to me. But then, politicians will fight about giving up on the mother tongue for English instructions in Govt schools.

4. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Oh yes. Malayalis don't like tamilians. They berate them ,call them pandis.
    Malayalam movies have mostly depicted tamils as people with low class, doing low jobs, maids etc...
    I have not seen keralites insulting Indians from other states that much.
    Its just reserved for tamil nadu

stayblessed, Swetha52003 and Laks09 like this.
  5. Laks09

Yup. Actor Jayaram got in serious trouble for saying something about his Tamilian maid. I can’t remember exactly what it was.

6. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Its popular culture there..
    It was for an interview in kerala.
    He said his maid is a dark Buffalo like tamil woman. He did apologize later .
    Jayaram is living in Chennai, made money through tamil movies. What to say.
    BTW, Keratitis watch tamil movies.
    Most dances in college functions are from tamil songs.

stayblessed and Laks09 like this.
  7. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Yes, there are some ignorant foolish people. They think it is funny. There are so many movies in Malayalam making fun of dark skin. The ignorants think a shade brighter skin make them superior.But slowly things are changing for good.

stayblessed and chanchitra like this.
  8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

@Laks09

Its the theory of death by 1000 cuts, look at the budget allocation of for Hindi and Sanskrit

'Official language' gets budgetary fillip; govt says 'no plan to impose Hindi'

The allocation for the official language department of the Union home ministry has gone up from Rs 64.90 crore to Rs 75.45 crore. It may be recalled that the NDA government faced flak last year from certain quarters in states like Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, accusing it of trying to impose Hindi on non-Hindi speaking states.

Centre Spent 22 Times More on Promoting Sanskrit Than Other 5 Classical Languages Combined

'Official language' gets budgetary fillip; govt says 'no plan to impose Hindi'

You are telling me that a language like Sanskrit needs Rs 643.84 crore to be promoted and Rs 29 crore spent on the other five classical Indian languages – Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Odia. How is this fair ???

Tamil Nadu had great leaders to protect and flourish unfortunately the current leadership has become a puppet and corrupt so it cannot voice its concerns against the center.

The reference to GDP was regarding how can the center divert its wealth from one sate to another without being accountable to the states that it takes its resource from look at what's happening in UP it gets a flush cash from the center and its building cow shelters don't the sate that is providing the resources have a say on how the tax money is used?

UP cow shelters get Rs 647 crore in Yogi government’s budget

Uttar Pradesh is the most populous state in India and is home to 200 million people, 60 million of who are poor. ... The central and eastern districts in particular have very high levels of poverty. The state is also experiencing widening consumption inequality in urban areas

http://documents.worldbank.org/cura...state-briefs-PUBLIC-UttarPradesh-Proverty.pdf

9. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Chinese (the "Han" variety) were given incentives to move to the cold, and hilly place called Tibet, work, earn a living and set up a homestead, multiply and so forth. In a few decades, a whole lot of young people, speaking Chinese, working in local enterprises are Tibetans. There are other examples of displacing people/cultures with new populations of a different culture.

Is the OP imagining a scenario when all the low-wage earning tongue-tied working immigrants from Bihar and farther east, will put roots in Tamil Nation, beget children, who'd go to local Two-Language scheme free schools, while learning their mother tongue at home, and eventually compete with the "natives" for opportunities ? This happens a lot in the world: Oriental looking Californians, Brown Texans, and African looking Minnesotans tend to disturb the idyll.

I do not know if there is a fix for evolution. Just too big for small discussion groups to handle. We have but one option: fret a little, safeguard one's own arse for the time as a being, get some popcorn and watch what happens.

10. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

That’s not my issue anyone in India can move and live where they want it’s a free country my issue is the centers constant efforts on pushing Hindi on the TN here is a few example that happened in last few weeks

DMK, PMK ask why Southern Railway ticket message in Hindi | Chennai News - Times of India

Kanimozhi alleges Hindi imposition at Chennai Airport

Stop Hindi Imposition

The center created a panel to study the Indian culture and guess what no one from TN was included in the panel

'How can Tamil Nadu be ignored in study of Indian culture': EPS dashes off letter to Modi

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020