Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

This is so like making children do the distasteful-but-good-for-health thing. Eat another mouthful, or a piece of totally cooked broccoli/spinach/bindi. Hilarious. Sometimes, it is nice to have that child back, albeit above voting age.

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I can understand. We have finally seen some light. Beto managed to flip a lot of red counties last time around. Some of which we thought were unflippable. Thanks to him, we finally see some changes. This time around we have been helping out as much as we can for our local Dems to atleast shift the balance of power in the TX state reps. I can see how that isn't the case with you all. Biden is an after thought for all of us. We are more enthused by the local elections.
    I went in after the first week crowds petered out. I can't stand in line regardless of how enthusiastic it is to be a first day voter.
    Mine voted too. Went with her Dad. There is a tradition here, the entire place erupts in a huge applause and fanfare when a new voter casts a first vote. I wasn't there to witness it but my DH said it was such an awesome feeling. Made her feel real good.

I donated to Jon Osoff's campaign.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Laks09

Btw, IL is showing me MAGA ads. Is it for the suburban women voters? Should I click on it and see what it says?

5. Laks09

Have you all heard of Sri's campaign in TX 22. I phone banked last time. I spoke in Tamil, broken Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Hindi. I even got a Satrsriakal(sp). If you haven't heard about it here is the guy's website. That was a first time actively participating in the political process. It was even more fun doing it in Indian languages. The acceptance was awesome. People loved the fact that callers spoke to them in a native language. I used all of my forgotten language skills here.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Rihana likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I just dropped off our 2 straight blue ballots today. I think Biden is way too old but what is the alternative? 4 more years of this current horror show is unfathomable but stranger things have happened.

shravs3, Rihana, Mistt and 1 other person like this.
  7. Laks09

I don't like straight ticket voting but that's what all of us have done this time around. Republicans in our neck of the woods vote straight ticket but Independents and Dems usually don't. Straight ticket voting isn't a great thing but this time around we all gave it a pass and went down the ballot - click, click, click. TX removed the straight ticket voting button this time around. Anyone surprised?

8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

He is just following his boss

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

Hadn't heard of straight-ticket voting. I wonder whether it applies to any state elections on the ballot, and to other issues on the ballot (props, measures).

Laks09 likes this.
  10. Rihana

That is such a nice tradition!

Maybe it is a dumb question - why didn't you simply mail the ballot?

Laks09 likes this.