How Often You Replace Your Bra And How You Maintain Them?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gknew, Oct 22, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I am looking for some inputs about inners.
    How do you wash your bra? In the machine or hand wash/line dry?
    How often you wash them? Do you wear the same bra for more than a day?
    When you discard them and get a new one ?
    How long you use a bra? You stick to those days or months and discard it or depends on it's quality?
    Do you have many varieties for every type of use. Like tshirt bra, salwar bra , sports bra etc.

How about undies? How often you discard them?

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I wash in machine bad line dry.

I wash after every use.

When they start to show wear. Usually a year for me. Depends on the quality. Most bras last me a year or more.

Yes, convertible, strapless, t shirt bra, sports bra...all sorts.

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you @nuss .
    How do you line dry? Do you have any cloth liner for that? Do you use a separate room for that? Will that be odd if we hang our inners and suddenly friends pop in.
    I am in 2bhk apartment. I have a cloth dry rack and I am not using it at all. Couldnt find a proper place to keep it and hang clothes.

You discard them every year? I do it whenever I see a wear or if it doesn't fit. I have a couple of bras which I got it from India 4+ years back. I am still using it and it's look like brand new. I want to discard them as I am using it for long time. But looking at the quality, I am just using it again.

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

No, I don’t discard after a year but my regular use bras don’t usually last for more than a year. Some like strapless that I occasionally wear are still good after 4-5 years. My size changed after the kids so everything I have now is from past 5 years.
    I line dry in the laundry room. When we lived in the apartment, I had a small rack in the closet (it was a wall mug holder but I used it for bras). My friends never come to bedroom so I won’t worry about having a rack in the bedroom either.

gknew likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I always hand wash and line dry. I wash in the laundry sink and have a folding rack set up in the basement for drying. If you want to machine wash then the lingerie bags will help protect the elastic and prevent the cups from becoming distorted. Laundry Science makes nice ones and they are available on Amazon.
    My bras usually last for several years. I wear them at least twice before washing except if it’s a particularly hot day. I buy Wacoal and Natori which are expensive upfront but last very well.
    I have sports bras for working out and then just my regular ones. I did get a bra fitting done at Nordstrom before investing in my current bras.
    As for everyday underwear I prefer 100% cotton so I just buy the cheap ones from the department store and replace as needed.

gknew likes this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you.
    Thank you @nuss.
    Which brand do you recommend for daily/ regular use bras? And also other variety bras?

7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you @MalStrom.
    I haven't tried bra fitting before. Have to try that soon. Hope that gives a nice fitting measurement and coverage. Does all the shop have that fitting option?

If you wash it in the laundry sink, do you just soap or detergent to wash or just water?
    I always feel sweaty and i wash it in the machine along with other clothes.

Thanks for the new brand names. Haven't heard before. I got few bras from lane bryant and cacique 3+ years back and still using it.
    What are the brands which you suggest for regular or daily usage bras?

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Soma is good for everyday wear. It will depend on your body type too. Some bras are better for full figures and others better for petites. I like Playtex too as it is good quality and very affordable. The ones without underwire are easy to wash in the machine, in the mesh bags .
    I use a little bit of detergent, soak in a bucket for some time and then rinse. Plain water will not get them clean.
    Some of the department stores have the fitting option. Make sure what they suggest is good for you though. Sometimes the lady will insist on a smaller band size than you can wear comfortably all day. They don’t charge for this but it is nice to buy one bra based on their suggestion.

gknew likes this.
  9. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

I put it in mesh bags in washer and dryer both. I don’t have patience to line dry. In mesh bags they are fine so far. Go for years. Only when hook becomes crooked I replace.

chanchitra, gknew and shravs3 like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

+1

gknew likes this.