Will The Central Government Ever Stop Pushing Hindi On Tamil Nadu ?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Minion, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

But the Central Government thinks that it is fine because it feels that there is no issue.

Do you think this type of growth is sustainable ? Recently when a couple states including TN asked for the GST share do you know what the Central government said you can borrow money I mean doesn't this sound ridicules??

At least 10 states to reject Modi govt's borrowing options, say GST compensation their right

This type of taking one states wealth and giving it to other does not exist in USA and that's why you see a competitive growth. If TN sends so much money does it not have a right to say how its money is spent in Bihar ?

2. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

That's my whole point why is the central government meddling with the state let the state decide what is good for them and use those polices. The rural north Indian does not give a @#&*^&@^& about the rural non-Hindi speaking person.

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

That is a good discussion to have and it needs to be revisited time and again. One useful American analogy is to public schooling. Funding is local, based on property tax. This leads to extraordinary distortions in access to education. Rich neighborhoods have good schools, poor neighborhoods have weak institutions and the gulf widens. I would rather have a more equitable system, so that social mobility and general well-being increase. The exact mechanism by which this can be achieved is open to argument, negotiation, and compromise. Feeding resentment helps no one. A healthy skepticism toward the picture painted by local politicians as well as those in the centre is useful.
    :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. sokanasanah

I thnk you are missing the point - I am saying that it is a practical matter. Although there are multiple languages in North India, you can get by with Hindi alone in most places. So, for almost anyone from the north visiting southern India, a sign in Hindi would be sufficiently useful. Unfortunately, the reverse is not possible. If, for the sake of argument, we think about all those north Indians who are most definitely interested in the well-being of their fellow citizens from South India, how would they go about designing signage? In general, I am interested in satisficing solutions when perfect solutions are not achievable. Resentment does not drive my thinking. Practicality, human flourishing, preservation of living languages (both northern and southern) literatures and culture do.

5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

This is good on paper but the non-Hindi speaking people are always getting the short end of the stick.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

As someone who was raised by NRI Tamil parents, I don’t have the pressures of politics to cloud my judgement. I do wish that my parents spoke Hindi, so that I would have an opportunity to learn Hindi. I do not know enough to follow Hindi speakers, and it makes it extremely difficult to connect with NRI Indians when we are abroad. I think not knowing Hindi puts Tamilians at a disadvantage. The only comparison I have is with Telegu speakers- they managed to preserve their language while knowing Hindi, and successfully navigating the social relationships of NRI Indians that tamilians cannot.

7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

You avoided to address the core issue on distribution of tax in India and continently picked up a issue that is wring in USA.

8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

If you had the interest to learn you could have learnt Hindi don't blame your parents for you not able to speak Hindi. Lots of people in USA learn a foreign language by their own interest.

9. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

This is what you get from Bihar for all the tax money poured into the state Fodder Scam - Wikipedia

10. sokanasanah

The critical word is "analogous". I am using the example of American schools to suggest that in the best interests of the country as a whole, a certain amount of redistribution is essential. Otherwise the weakest link will break the chain. Underdeveloped states can drag the whole country down.

How we achieve that is open to debate. I do not have ready made solutions, but we can talk. We can discuss ideas like metrics of improvement upon which future investments would be contingent, we could try and find some percent of a state's contributions that must be reinvested in that state and so on.