Will The Central Government Ever Stop Pushing Hindi On Tamil Nadu ?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Minion, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

I am more interested about the states that claim Hindi as their mother tongue, what third language are they studying ?

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Only one reason: As a compromise. In most of north India (actually even in AP, Telengana), Hindi is sufficient to get by. Middle class and above I would expect knowledge of English. However, we need to be mindful of other citizens as well. If we were to do a thought experiment, one could imagine a digital display scrolling through all the official languages of India in (English?!) alphabetical order - even that would be time consuming!! So, not ideal. It is simply to make non-English speaking casual travelers feel welcome. Once Augmented Reality accessories arrive, you can wear your AVR goggles, set them to whatever language you want and tailor your display, local languages notwithstanding. Until then, I want to be courteous to my fellow citizens.

stayblessed, Agathinai and Mistt like this.
  3. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

My parents belong to A.P. They migrated to Bombay and then to M.P before I was born and raised us there. To my knowledge in most of the schools the third language for us was sanskrit besides english and hindi. Some schools did offer german and french options but they were few and very high end in those days. Malvi or bundelkhandi were largely treated as dialects , i am not aware of any other language than hindi or sanskrit being prevalent options.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

This is the problem how much compromise should the non-Hindi speaking states do ? They don't consider any south Indian names when they are naming any satellites, missiles etc look at the tax money distribution, Tamil Nadu gets back 30 rupees for every 100 it sends to New Delhi; the northern state of Bihar, by contrast, receives 219. Where does it stop are Hindi speaking states expecting the south to just give and don't expect anything ?

For rich South India, the rest of the country is a tax burden

5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Most of Indians in every states live in rural what about them don't you consider their feelings and needs ?

Rural population (% of total population) in India was reported at 65.53 % in 2019, according to the World Bank collection of development indicators, compiled from officially recognized sources.

More than 800 million people in India are considered poor. Most of them live in the countryside and keep afloat with odd jobs.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  6. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Do you speak or write in Sanskrit now?

7. sokanasanah

Yes, I would go for a lottery system. Have each state propose a name for a satellite, then choose by a random draw, rotate. Not just south India, but every state ought to be complicit in the missiles we fire. :lol: However, note that in TN we are rather more safe from short-range missile strikes. So, maybe the states closer to the border should get dibs.:wink1: Don't forget Sriharikota is in AP, Hindustan Aeronautics is in Bangalore, Bharat Dynamics is in Telegnana. More than half of the nuclear power stations in India are south of the Vindhyas. Wouldn't you rather have these productive enterprises in your state and leave the branding and marketing to others?:cool::lol:
    The Sikhs felt the same way about money being drained from Punjab. That was partly the basis of the Khalistan movement. Same goes for the AP-Telengana split. Yes, we need to be careful about this.
    Bihar needs help - if it can be guaranteed that the investment is not lost to corruption, I'm all for it. That state is way too backward - it is an embarrassment. The logic is roughly analogous to childless people paying school-tax - we don't want to be living beside uneducated fellow citizens do we?
    I prefer to deal with these issues individually - bundling them together leads to paralysis and inaction on even the problems that can be addressed.
    :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I am from Hindi speaking state. So, depends- Urdu, Punjabi, Sanskrit...a third language is a requirement.

9. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

No i almost forgot sanskrit now though those days i used to be my class topper. But then i think that we should not compare sanskrit as a third language with any other regional language as a third language . Any regional language , unlike sanskrit , is used for conversation , communication at least in that region by atleast a few people who still use it. Sanskrit in my observation is used by only those people out of school or college who had personal interest / love for it.

stayblessed likes this.
  10. sokanasanah

I do. I made that clear. But then there's no end to the Russian doll. What about illiterate people? What about dialects? And so on. It is a defensible compromise to say that each state has/gets one "official" regional language. That langugae ought to an instrument of citizenship and culture. English is unavoidable if you want to keep the economy viable and prevent revolution. Hindi, for me, is a way for the south Indian states, with multiple languages between them, to address even rural north Indians en masse.