Will The Central Government Ever Stop Pushing Hindi On Tamil Nadu ?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Minion, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Sreevidyaa

Sreevidyaa Silver IL'ite

There will not be an end to this central government English imposition. There will be some protests if the TN government had been powerful and not spineless. This doesn’t happen. Whenever we have highly centralised power without any opposition then it becomes very hard to change the decisions.

stayblessed likes this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

100% agree.
    This is what i tried to convey in my other thread, but failed.
    Here you go...
    And by being a Dumbo here, I made you/others realize what i wanted to convey in my other thread about Sri Lanka. (A little selfish me)
    Thanks a million for echoing what i wanted to say!!!

But a lot others still find it hard to converse too. Again my observation with exploring a little over 40 countries where Indians live.

I really enjoy reading this wonderful conversion. Keep going....
    I would rather chose to sit here as an observer ONLY

Swetha52003 likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Kudos to you OP. I have been closely watching this thread already running to twelve pages of responses from veterans within forty eight hours of posting.

I think I am flummoxed with my own statement. The hint or suggestion made in a lighter vein!

IT REMINDS OF A TIME 1964-65 WHEN THE DMK sponsored Hindi AGITATION RESULTED IN IMMOLATION OF OUR DISTANT RELATIVE a serving superintendent of police at Salem. She was mother of two young ones.

If according to psychologist, child is capable of learning numerous languages at a time it seems easier course to avoid the trouble of being blamed for thrusting Hindi on Tamilians, GOI Should make all twenty three languages compulsorily taught in all states so that pressure & burden of learning a new language is equally shared in a democratic way by all citizens of the country.

(This suggestion is akin to 1971 - Tamil drama - In Which Muhamad-Bin-Thuglak as PM - to avoid horse trading of his MPs would offer all of them cabinet rank ministership)

Certain banks in TN provide forms and challans text printed in bilingual - Tamil and English while PSU banks - it is only in Hindi & English.

sokanasanah likes this.
  4. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Not all kids can handle multiple languages without getting confused. And personally I feel hindi is something learnt easily by hearing other people speak and watching movies instead of learning to read and write. My husband can talk and understand hindi but he doesn't know to read and write. It has many complexities without proper reasoning or logic or at least thats what I could decipher with my limited knowledge. Its far more important to concentrate on other subjects like science and maths instead of a language which we won't know whether we would use it in the future or not. If a situation occurs and we have to move to a north indian state then we can learn to speak by listening to people. Why take the struggle of reading and writing with an extensive grammar and getting demotivated. Its better to learn the regional language exhaustively along with other subjects. That way the literature of every state will thrive. Thats what we all are trying to say through this thread. I have seen many workers migrating to other states pick the basics of the other states language and speak for their survival. Same holds good for everyone who migrates. The people who migrate need to learn the regional language of that state instead of imposing hindi on every state in a multilingual country. That way over the years who knows all of us may be able to speak 5 to 6 languages. Forcing always leads to aversion jmo. Not to mention the way the CBSE hindi is structured. Poor poor kids

Laks09 likes this.
  5. stayblessed

Deleted

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    chanchitra likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Let's not divert this very interesting thread with our arguments, please!
    As @SunPa rightly said, "The depth and complexities can only be told by those who experience / or are impacted by it. The rest is just an opinion". Period!!!
    Youtube videos, politician's statements, and few other diaspora's interest are all remain as opinions. That's all.
    I, and few other Sri Lankans have commented our experiences and what we have witnessed in the country FYI. To understand the reality or to remain in ignorance is your choice. But let's stop it here.
    The other thread was closed for a reason.
    I am available to discuss this in detail via PM if you are interested. Else, let's do our business as usual. Thanks!!!

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes. That’s what I meant. But I prefer the current Indian system. Too much power to the states and here we are fighting a state with top to bottom reps who don’t seem to represent anyone currently.

Agreed about English. My earlier post was only about the constitution question by someone. I feel like English should be the medium of instruction in all schools. Even politicians who fight for regional language instruction in government schools send their kids to international schools. Swahili? Didn’t get the reference.

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I wasn’t talking about the CBSE Hindi. Is that the new rule? I was mentioning it because third language Hindi was very simple to learn, didn’t have the CBSE kind of rigor and we did learn the local language extensively. So much so that all my prayer books, written lists are all in the local language(which isn’t my mother tongue).
    I didn’t realize the new rule was enforcing CBSE level Hindi in TN state schools. English would be a much better choice to enforce, given the need of the hour.

stayblessed likes this.
  9. stayblessed

The videos I posted weren't diaspora. But yeah I realised my mistake of talking about that thread here and thats why deleted my reply. Then again your reply talked about us and thats why replied in the first place but later felt why to go back and forth in proving points and deleted. Good bye.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  10. stayblessed

Sorry there is a miscommunication. I was talking about my daughters school book which is cbse hindi. They introduced fearing any moment hindi would be compulsory. I thought you were talking about that because in my reply to peartree I quoted that as an example to tell its not easy for all kids to pick a new language.. I am not sure about tamilandu state syllabus third language hindi books. But I guess it would be a lot easier compared to cbse hindi.

Laks09 likes this.