Why Do Women Wear Heavy Earings That End Up Damaging Their Earlobes

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Oct 8, 2020.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I see this, and other types of heavy jewelry, esp earring for sale. Statement Afghani Jewelry Boho Necklace And Earrings Set | Etsy

Why in God's name do people create heavy earrings that will damage earlobes, i.e. hole in ear gets too big, earlobe is stretched.

How to overcome this?

How to wear heavy earring that (1) stays in the earlobe and (2) does not damage earlobe

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

These earrings look big but not heavy. You would only wear them for short stretches so they will not permanently stretch out your ear lobes.

SuiDhaaga and anika987 like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Because there is a demand for those earrings?

Why do women wear such heavy earrings?
    Her body, her choice? : )

I am not sure the hole in the lobe grows long only due to heavy earrings. The aunties in my neighborhood wore light or medium weight ear rings, yet all had elongated and very visible ear lobe holes by the time they reached the second half of life. The more enterprising ones used to get a stitch to resize it well before nip-and-tuck became a fad.

As my own ear lobes inch toward the aunty-hood mark, I notice that even lighter ear rings seem to dangle. I wear earrings only sometimes and slightly heavy ones only 5-6 times a year. So, at least in my case, the cause was not heavy earrings.

Angela123 likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The stitching is very common among middle-aged ladies in my community, especially those who wear the traditional diamond earrings every day.
    I also have the same experience with my ears as I get older. I usually wear very light pearl studs or small silver hoops to work and nothing on the ears while I’m at home. Even if I put on lighter dangling earrings they appear to stretch out more than before.

blindpup10 and SuiDhaaga like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    Perhaps this young lady - a retired nurse from Tamilnadu India would help clear OP’s query.

In a pink cotton sari and hair in a bun, her skin is a beautiful contrast against the gold thandattis that gleam in the afternoon sun.

The earrings are in solid multifaceted hexagonal shape, as heavy as 15 grams each, hang easily heavily from her slender earlobes, which have stretched over the years from the weight of the accessory. But then unable to answer why she wears such heavy metals.

upload_2020-10-9_23-4-55.jpeg

Courtesy photo The Hindu.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

i think with time, ear lobes becomes loose anyways. Heavy earrings out of gold stretches it to elongate hole.
    My mother in india does not wear heavy earrings but heavier than me. Her ear lobe has elongated :-(

One of my former collegues ( american ) had big holes in her ear and there were metal washer kind of earrings in it, kind that stays along inner hole. I thought its style, till she clarified, she has very small ears and ear lobes, because of wearing earrings her ear hold had torn ( do not know how torn, it was 10 yrs back story), she had put these on.

Artificial earring these days are mostly not heavy and are only for functional purposes.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  7. SuiDhaaga

I am speechless.

8. SuiDhaaga

Oh yeah, I have seen metal washers in ears - I also thought that was style.

9. SuiDhaaga

I'm thinking not more than few hours in a 1 to 2 month period.

10. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

last time I wore heavy dangles was 5 yrs ago on brothers wedding. They were fake but heavy. In US, fake are not heavy. After 1-2 hrs wear, i had to be without earrings, as I could not take it.

SuiDhaaga likes this.