1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mean Kid At The Park

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by englishtutorjul, Oct 8, 2020.

1. englishtutorjul

englishtutorjul Silver IL'ite

Sorry about the long post, but I need to rant. I have a 9 year old son who loves to socialize, so we were regularly hanging out at the park pre covid days. With the current situation, we have taken a break from the park.We now have a bunch of his friends visiting us to play with him in our backyard. We have another kid in the neighborhood (older by two years), who used to be good friends with my son. But because of some differences with the kid's family that involved having the kids grand father hit my son, we completely stopped mingling with them. The kid's parents apologized to us, mentioning that the man had some health problem because of which he lost his temper, when trying to resolve some issue between my son and his grand kid, when they were playing in his house. On probing further, I found that my son was playing pillow fight with the other kid, and the old man tried snatching the pillow from my son's hand, which my son resisted. I must add that my son would visit the other kid only once or twice a month while that kid would hang out at our's with complete freedom to do whatever he wanted. The kid's parents have never minded my son being as free in their house, but apparently the visiting grandparents were not on the same page, so they felt the need to discipline my son by hitting him. The parents profusely apologized for this and mentioned that they spoke to the grandfather as well, and promised that the incident wont happen again.

We still decided to wait for the man to leave before agreeing to have our kids play together again. Fast forward a couple months later, when my son went to this kids house, apparently the subject was being discussed between the kids casually, and my son commented that he was hurt because his grandpa hit him. At which point, the kids' parents were quick to jump in and tell my son that it was his mistake for resisting the old man when he tried snatching the pillow, making it seem like it was my son's mistake to begin with. When my son narrated this story, I was shocked at how mean it was of the parents to have coerced us into getting the kids to play again, but very conveniently guilt tripping my son, that too in my absence. Apparently, they claimed that they have a video footage of the happening. That same evening, their boy dropped in to our house and told us about how he was wondering why his parents accused my son of doing something wrong, when he already got punished more than needed for that little mistake (the old man hit my son on the back, the nerve!).

The description of the incident matched what my son told me earlier, so I knew it was not being made up. At that point, I texted the mother of the son, asking her if she could share the footage she talked about with the kids. The mother however conveniently dismissed it off saying how kids could say random things and how the footage got erased.

In my opinion, this was in poor taste, as not only did the husband and wife accuse my son and made him believe he was wrong, but they also claimed the existence of a footage which they were not even willing to back up!

It took a long time for us to recover from the fact that the old man had the nerve to hit our son. This latest incident was the last straw on the back, and we decided that the kids will not play together again.

Fast forward a few months, my kid moved on, as he had another set of friends who became good friends over time, but the other boy apparently has no friends still, and his parents have been asking us again to reconsider our decision. I politely turned down their request as I am still not comfortable with all that happened. However the kid found himself another kid at the park (11 years) who is a bully and has a bad reputation in the neighborhood. The two kids are now ganging up against mine, by constantly ringing our doorbell, and asking my son to drop by at the park, when he has clearly told them multiple times that he is not interested in going to the park. The bully still wont stop. He keeps sending the neighbor kid over to our house to check if my son can come, to test if we have been avoiding the park because of the bully.

When I asked the kid if the other kid set him up to do this, the kid lied that it was just him interested in playing with my son. In minutes of turning down that request, we saw the neighbor kid teaming up with the bully who was stealthily watching the interaction between the other kid and us. When I called out to confront the neighbor kid about the lie, the two kids just ran off.

I am now concerned about sending my kid to the park occasionally, because as soon as the two kids see him him at the park, they keep inviting him to a fight (verbal so far) and it gets frustrating. I dont want to have my son avoid going to the park altogether, as there are other kids in the park who are friends with my son. Even when my son tries mingling with those kids, ignoring the two troublemaker kids, they find ways to pull my son's friends from his circle and start spewing venom saying things like my son is mean etc.

How do I address this? Talking to the bully'a parents is useless as they are not approachable. The bully has confessed to having some anger management issues which I don't think the neighbor knows. Also, the bully acts up only when he has the neighbor kid for support. Should I let the neighbor know of the bully's anger issues, so she stops her son from mingling with the other kid? I would not have cared if my son was not in picture, but given he is, it changes things.

Will talking to my neighbor help? Would they want to risk their son having to forego relations with the one friend he has (referring to the bully) if they figure out about the anger issues? I must add that it is not just the anger issues.I have also caught the bully using foul words such as the F* word, and also mention things like stripping, pole dancing etc with another kid in the past, so I am not exactly looking to have my son gel with that kid to solve this problem. Would appreciate any inputs on this. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020

2. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

I would say do not involve the parents.It will be a mess.If possible accompany your son whenever he goes to park .We cant do much about how other kids/parents react ,but definitely help our kids to tackle these issues.Talk to your child about how he feels about this.If he is confident enough to manage these bullying,he will figure out ways.Do not worry.

englishtutorjul, Rihana and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am sorry you are going through this and it is absolutely not right of that grandparent to hit the child.

One thing can be done is..you can talk to the neighbor kid’s parents and say your son can play with theirs but not along with the bully.That way you guys can become friends again and also help the neighbor kid move about from that bully(which is good for him) plus your son will feel better but this is only if you are comfortable.

If not,you can go to the park for sometime till your son feels comfortable.
    Else,ask your son if he can just be with the other kids and move away from the bullies.

Hopefully things work Soon.

englishtutorjul likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That 11 yr old confessed to whom about having some anger management issues?

5. englishtutorjul

To another kid in the presence of me and my son. The other kid is a common friend of my son and the 11 year old. In general the bully has been vocal about his anger management issues, and uses that frequently, as an excuse with his victims. The neighbor family may not be aware as their kid has been a friend, so probably has never been at the receiving end of the bully's anger.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Waiting for the grandpa to leave for India and only then resuming playdates was the right step. After that, the issue is better to be considered as closed.

Dissecting your son's version of what happened when the subject came up again, comparing it with what the boy said when he came over serve no purpose. You won't know how the subject came up and what exactly those parents said. Asking the parents for the video footage is pointless. No one will casually give such footage that can be used as evidence should things turn ugly.

Stay out of such conversations between the kids. If they actively seek you out, tell them that matter is resolved and you are not interested in further discussion.
    Understandable anger on your part. But you have taken care of the matter. Don't brood on what kids narrate to you or you overhear them talking. Ending their friendship over this was not a good move. Like I said above, kids will have their version of events which are not always reliable even if you compare one kid's version with another's. Maybe, just maybe, your kid did not hand over the pillow when asked to. Maybe he was jumping on a bed that had been declared off-limits. Those parents recognized the grandpa's wrong and apologized profusely. Ideally, after that, both sets of parents should have stayed out of it if the kids discussed it again.

The "bully" kid - unless he directly bothers your kid, anything you know about him is hearsay. The f-word, pole dancing etc... kids talk all kinds of stuff and then they move on.

An 11 year old "talking about his anger management issues and using that as an excuse with his victims" -- something doesn't add up. Anyway with Covid around and winter coming up, it is better to not play too much in the park. Keep those outings minimal.

As far as possible, let the kid handle his friendship and playground issues by himself while being there to guide and support him if needed. Don't be so involved in the nitty-gritty of his interactions with his friends. That will cause him to slowly stop sharing such stuff in a year or so as he will learn that you will react strongly to it and follow-up with inquiry and action.

englishtutorjul likes this.
  7. englishtutorjul

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond in such a detailed manner, I appreciate it.

8. adismom

adismom Bronze IL'ite

I agree with everything Rihana said. The initial step you took to stop the play dates when the grandparents were there was totally justified, and the fact that the parents apologized is also a good thing. My son when he was around 4 was hit on the chest hard by another kid when both me and the other kids mom was present, I was shell shocked and my son was just startled. But even more astonishing was that let alone the kids mom asking her son to apologize, she sat down next to him pampering him. Looking back at it, now I think maybe the kid had some social issues and she was doing that to control her child , but I always felt she could have at least texted at a later date to give some sort of an apology, but there was nothing.

Since you are all in the same neighborhood, it might be a good thing to patch things up with the other kid since they will come across each other frequently.