Muralitharan Bio Pic And The Storm In Tamil Nadu

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SGBV, Oct 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

How is the book? I have been wanting to read this. 2007-2009, when the war was at its peak, I used to obsessively follow it. Sadly, the war and struggles doesn't seem as well-documented as other ethnic conflicts in the world have been!!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

To clarify your questions.
    I am Sri Lankan Tamil. I have my own resentment & anger for what happened during the civil war in Sri Lanka. No one can deny that. As a Tamil originated from Sri Lanka & a UN staff, worked in the front line for the war victims that time, I know how terrible it was.

A person who went through this directly or indirectly would never want this to happen again even in their wildest dream. All we want is to move on, live peacefully in Srilanka as a SRILANKAN like how peacefully you all are living in India as Indians despite differences. Period.
    So we kindly request you "don't politicise our problems" for your own selfish agenda.

You have Kashmir, Assam and many other issues where killing, discrimination, rape and all happen for your info.
    Your own umbilical cord relations live in the hill countries of Srilanka with so much issues too. For a change raise your voice for them.

As an educated and exposed individual i recognise the fact that, it takes 2 parties to fight in a war.
    War crimes including rapes, forced recruitment, killing disappearance and child abuses have been conducted by both parties, and they have been well documented in many international reports including UN reports. Both have been equally criminalized for war crimes. Just because one party is no longer present, doesn't mean they have no responsibility towards the crimes they conducted. Period.

Srilankan Government's ruthless killing & war crimes are very popular. I don't deny that. They must face the consequences too. And they are taking conscious efforts to build the trust among Tamils towards reconciliation.

On the other hand, Many Tamils fled the country fearing forced recruitments by LTTE. Many were used as human shields during the last stage of war by their own leaders. You may not hear them enough if you chose to follow only one sided media.

Don't depend on Tamil sources that glorify one side as if they were saints. If possible reach out to 'neutral' party/person to know the facts.

But that's not the topic here.

The topic is about Muralitharan's bio pic.
    It is about his successful cricketing career & the struggles he faced in his path.
    His language skills and political orientation doesn't matter if the bio pic is about cricket.

If his political orientation is the problem, then why it is not a problem for Mr. Ankajan Ramanathan who claimed highest votes in Northern Srilanka (Tamil) representing Rajapaksha's party during last election.

What does it say? The Sri Lankan Tamils who 'actually' know the history of the civil war know the story from 2 sides & they chose to reconcile with the main land to live in peace forever.

While Srilankan Tamils think like this, the Indians Tamils from Tamil nadu still struggle even to digest the name Rajapaksha.
    I leave this to their own judgement.

Why i call this 'muralitharan bio pic' issue as stupid is... These fighters apparently were in coma as they cheered Murali when he played IPL for CSK & SRH and still coaching.

There was a similar uproar when Super star Rajinikanth was supposed to open a housing scheme in Srilanka in 2017.
    They criticized him as a traitor for the same reason.

But on the same year, when one of his movies released everyone celebrated. In fact Tamils in Jaffna too poured milk in his cut-out in the theatres.

Honestly it is the diaspora Tamils & some Tamil nadu Politician who want to keep this 'Srilankan Genocide matter' alive for their own selfish agenda.
    They will find one or the other issue like this as always.
    But sadly our #- hash tag generation take this to another level with their ignorance, emotions
    & selective blindness.

For sometimes #Nesamani & #Kannamma were our sensation for no apparent reason.

But unlike Nesamani & Kannamma we Sri Lankan Tamils have emotions. We can no longer tolerate your ignorance on our issues.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I enjoyed reading the book as a story. There has been a lot of skepticism about the author’s exact role in the events of the time, but it is a rare glimpse into the society at the time. Particularly because she was one of the very few upper-class Tamils who joined the ranks of the LTTE, and a female at that. She has expertly woven it together but also neatly absolves herself of any guilt by association.
    I was also avidly following the last years of the war. Two books I found interesting were
    1) The Cage by Gordon Weiss, which details the very last push of the Sri Lankan army against the LTTE and civilians
    2) The Seasons of Trouble by Rohini Mohan, which also follows the final days of the war and the lives of 4 people in particular as they attempt to rebuild
    DBS Jeyaraj’s blog and articles also make for very interesting reading.

4. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

I dont understand why we should not speak about srilankan issues. Isnt this double standards? When you can post an exclusive thread saying that tamil actor VJS can act in muralidharan biopic and that we tamils are ignorant of your issues and trying to educate us we can in the same vein protest vjs acting in the bio pic no? The thing is people all over the world speak of Syria issues, israel- Palestine issues, Latin american issues and many such issues. So I think everyone has rights to speak about srilanka too. Rajapakshe has to be called out. So is every other political party who turned blind eye to the sufferings of the ezham and so is muralidharans distasteful remarks. Yes I do agree that if a war is waged losses are on both sides but that argument won't hold water if you take the numbers. Just because we are not srilankan citizens doesn't mean we don't know the facts or we don't have the right. Muralidharans bio pic cannot be woven just around his cricket career. The srilankan govt support which was lent when his bowling strategy was questioned and muralidharans loyalty to his govt and his distasteful remarks will be portrayed which will also mean its an indirect dig on the thamizh ezham. Hypothetically even if its not shown then again its a betrayal to the thamizhs. Showing the full facts without taking sides and rightfully blaming him and the srilankan govt wherever required is something which is not possible in a biopic. And hence the agitation. Expecting peace without nipping the basic killer blood in the srilankan govt and not raising the voice for the basic rights is just as good as staying as slaves till the last breath. You are talking about the political agenda of the Indian parties. What about the political agenda of the srilankan parties which has satisfied the srilankans with the ezham blood? If things are not rightfully called it would only lead to the thamizhs citizenship removal in the long run. I dont support the biopic. Glad vjs accepted the sentiments and removed himself from.the movie. Yes as you said cheering him for his cricket and making him the coach is stupidity. I dont agree to it either.

chanchitra, Agathinai and Swetha52003 like this.
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV I can see why some people might think your post has a tone of condescension, though you probably did not mean to be condescending. I think we are combining several, unrelated issues here.

Your post seems to suggest that the Srilankan Tamizhs
    Thank you for the recommendations!! Will check them out.

Yes, DBS' blog is something I used to follow quite a lot. I especially used to enjoy reading it right around the time of the war when he was still allowing reader comments on his blogposts. It was fascinating to read the various POVs.

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@stayblessed is there a rule that every Tamilian should support for Tamil Ezham?
    What if he or she has a different political orientation?
    Does she or he loses their place as a Tamilian by that?

You can talk about any problems. It is your right. But i beg you to talk the facts or at least read them before commenting here as if you know everything.
    Following one sided media can lead you nowhere even if that matter is anything be it Palestine issue or Syrian crisis. Just try to see the other side & combine it together.

There will be no hero's in a war. Those who prevent a war is the real hero.
    I hate war, and hate any kind of crime in the name of rights or freedom.
    I believe in humanity and that's why i love Gandhi ji for that matter.
    So anyone who ultimately killed the life of his community and that of others can never be my hero. Jmo.

But, people like certain Tamil nadu politician like Seeman wants such a hero behind the scenes to run emotional politics.
    I've watched his obsessive talks & videos about the one sided Srilanka stories which no Srilankan Tamils support. We actually make fun of them here.
    But we've learnt how deep he and people like him has influenced emotional Tamils in Tamilnadu with his talks about us Srilankans.

It is like selling our problems to your political business. How cheap....

We too have read and learnt about India through certain media. To be frank, the media portrays India as a country of rapes and a place that is not suitable for women to live.
    But that's not the fact. Since I've lived in India a lot, I know this.
    But for a complete stranger these medias could be misleading.

Learn to take them with a pinch of salt.

7. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

I agree with SGBV. Media shows only one side of the story.During the wartime I lived in Jaffna from 1990 to 2000 and 5 years under LTTE controlled area and 5 years under SL Army. Both the parties didn’t do any good to the public.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    chanchitra, SGBV and KashmirFlower like this.
  8. kumudh31

kumudh31 Gold IL'ite

I agree with SGBV about Indian origin Tamils in Sri Lanka. My roommate during my college days was an Indian origin tamil, she used share how they were treated, if she wrote about it, it will be exactly like SGBV's post.

SGBV likes this.
  9. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

The Indian tamils were brought there by British in 1840. At that time all the regions were British colonies. After British left, india, srilanka etc were formed.
    Why didn't the srilanka government give the Indian tamils citizenship?.All problems started from there.

SGBV likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for pitching in. We, Sri Lankans should speak about our problems than letting this become a puppet in others hands.

We Sri Lankan Tamils living in Sri Lanka have acknowledged it lately, especially after seeing all the fake stories from Tamil nadu based Indian Politicians like Seeman.
    They are making a good business out of our problems and using those empathetic Tamil brothers & sisters' ignorance to their own selfish benefits.

No one would actually read a report from a neutral international source, but chose local medias which are obviously one sided.

Genocide happened. Both parties were equally responsible for their act against humanity. Both committed war crimes and are answerable for that.
    We hate both equally and we welcome reconciliation from any corner towards a peaceful future.
    This is the public opinion and this is what reflects in our election results in Sri Lanka (especially among Tamils)
    But how many of you are aware of this?
    Because you are blindfolded. Period.

Thanks a lot for voicing your first hand experience here. If any of you have association with a 'normal' Sri Lankan citizen (not associated with LTTE or Rajapaksha gang) he/she would give your the right insight of what it is.
    Sadly all you hear is from ex LTTE or their associations.

A few years back i was in Trichy with one of my Friend (who happened to be an Indian origin Srilanka Tamil).
    She spoke Tamil like Indian Tamil slang; hence no one in Trichy (educated & uneducated) believed that she was from Srilanka. They were unaware of this minority group at all.

Strangely, everyone passionately inquired about Sri Lankan Tamils well being and questioned whether Sinhalese still abuses us?
    It sounded like we (non Indians) question indian women whether they have been raped or abused daily?

That very incident made me realize how ignorant these common people were, and how badly they were brainwashed using their pure love & empathy for their fellow Tamilians.

This is the height of ignorance. If all problems (i mean the SL war) started from there, then it sgould have been started for the rights of Indian origin Tamils, right?
    But these Indian origin Tamils were excluded in Tamil Eazham?
    And LTTE neither fought for hill country Tamils nor did they recognize these people as fellow Tamil citizens.

From the beginning Mr Thondaman & his CWC party is the only representation those people ever had. Mr Thondaman has never sided with LTTE.

Just get some facts please

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.