1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage For Us Citizenship?

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by EagerForInfo, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

These are the steps in marriage related GC-sponsorship:
    • USC marries Alien (resident in USA on a non-immigrant visa, like H1b or L-1 OR an alien living in India or some other non-US country)
    • USC sponsors Alien for adjustment or status within USA or immigration from India or some non-US country.
    • After a long wait, the spouse of USCitizen gains a "conditional" immigrant status. The "conditional" aspect is like a "probationary" job; adequate execution on the job results in tenure.
    • Tenure on that job requires the USCitizen to apply to remove those "conditions", after the probationary period (2 years) is over. "Honeymoon photos" as evidence of the bona fides of the marriage has been mentioned in one of the posts here.
    • Only after living with the USC for 3 years after acquiring the Green Card, the new immigrant spouse may apply for US citizenship. This would take a year or more to achieve. And after that the new US citizen can sponsor his relatives to come to the USA, which might take a few years. Nothing in this scheme is quick and easy. Years of wait involved in each step.
    Thus, we already have sufficient safeguards to protect "the friend" from fraud marriage. Naturally the USCitizen has to exercise caution during the probationary period of the GC-marriage. The US citizen has to engage in "safe" behavior so that his/her offer of tenure to the marriage is not under duress when the probation ends. Early children in a marriage cause duress for further negotiations of tenure irrespective of whether or not a GC is involved in the case.

blindpup10, Laks09, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

What will happen if even the spouse is very cautious and hide all the true colours with an hidden motive? :blush:

Laks09 and Hopikrishnan like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is not about cutting off relationship with parents, or human trafficking, or one party having the remote control.

Again taking some examples:
    - A man and his family prefer that the potential bride be a working-woman and one who is prepared to work after the kids come along. There is nothing wrong in some frank discussion around this. More so since it is considered socially OK for women to stop working.
    - A woman and her family prefer that the man's parents not live with the couple for extended durations till his parents are physically able to live by themselves. There is nothing wrong in taking steps to increase the chances of the man's parents following this. More so since it is usually considered OK for the man's parents to invite themselves to live with him well before their old age whether or not the woman is in favor of it.

There are crass ways of airing and discussing such preferences and there are more polished ways. A marriage ideally starts off with both parties understanding each other's preferences, respecting those while allowing for the fact that life happens and promises made are not set in stone.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Laks09 likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I recently watched a movie ”To here or To Go” on Netflix.

It’s a life of an Indian H1B visa holder and his life in US. I’m sure every Indian will get connected to this movie.

5. Rihana

If the spouse can hide true colors for so long, he/she deserves the GC/USC or an Oscar. :smile:

6. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

What will happen? They will go on live happily ever after.
    That's what will happen.

People are known to adjust, and reconcile with people and situations in jobs and relationships.

shravs3 likes this.
  7. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

You are missing my point. Maybe the couple will adjust or they won't, we don't know, but either parents shouldn't be telling the other what to do. Rather they shouldn't interfere. And how can parents start living by themselves? As they get older they can't be independent as much as they want. Is it not the children's job to provide emotional support? Ok let's assume that does happen, even then dictating unfair terms and conditions using citizenship as a lure is bad. Today it is about parents, tomorrow something else, who knows? This is just my opinion. Not everyone may agree. But in my view, one set of parents cannot say about the other set without providing a working solution. Things like the other parents should figure out themselves is selfishness.

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Typo: It’s “For here or To Go”

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Another thing to worry about with grown kids. Do people discuss all this with young adults?

10. Rihana

: ) The same thing struck me a short time ago after I got in touch with childhood neighborhood friends and they are already grandmothers. My hope is that if we parents are around, we will stand a small chance of talking sense into our child if it looks like their love-interest has ulterior motives. I honestly worry more about what if we pass away earlier than expected. Added some wording around that in our wills but it is vague.

Such concern would apply to any young adults whose parents pass away when the children are in their early 20's or so and single. If the 20-something is vulnerable and easily taken advantage of..