1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How Safe Is It To Visit Urgent Care During Covid?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shravs3, Sep 26, 2020.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

There are times when you cannot visit your regular doctor due to lack of appointments or due to weekends

How safe is it to visit Urgent Care during this pandemic for non Covid reasons?

Are there separate facilities for Covid and non Covid patients?
    Is there any risk of catching the virus as they also do Covid testing?

What services do urgent care offer?
    Is it better to visit Urgent care than ER if it’s not an emergency?

Heard that ER is very expensive. What about urgent care? How much more expensive it is than regular doctor visits?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It all depends on your insurance. In my case urgent care co-pay costs the same as a doctor visit. ER copay is higher. In general you would only go to the ER if you cannot go to the regular doctor or urgent care, unless of course it’s life threatening or a very complicated situation.
    I had to take my baby to the ER last month for stitches after a playground accident. They strictly only allow 1 person to enter, not the whole family. They do temperature checks for everyone and masks are mandatory. It is the same at doctors office also. In many places they stagger visitors so you are the only person in the office at the time, or you wait in the car for your turn.
    You can call the urgent cares near you to find out what their Covid policies are. Their website will also list the services they offer. I wear an N95 mask if I have to visit a medical provider’s office.

shravs3 likes this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

As safe as going to your physician. I have been to urgent care twice since March. They follow the strict protocol. You will hav ego make an online appointment, then call once in the parking lot and they will let you in once the room is ready. At least that’s how the urgent care we went to did.

shravs3 likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I have been to urgent care and many doctor office since may. The urgent care is following all cdc protocols. It's better if you make an online appointment. Even then, I had to wait for now than an hour for my appointment since they had many walk-ins before me. It depends.

shravs3 likes this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you all for the inputs :blush: Do they have anything like X ray or ultrasound facilities?

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

X-rays are usually standard at urgent cares. You will need to call your locations to see if they do ultrasounds.

shravs3 likes this.