1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You “explain” To A 7 Year Old?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Sep 26, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My 7 year old today asked me about my upper body and asked why I look different than her? She bluntly said she is flat and I look “different “..am not exactly comfortable jotting the words she said..but she keeps asking.
    How do I explain about body parts of a woman to a child? If she is atleast around 10 or 11..it is fine but to a 7 year old? How?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

This is perfectly normal .You can tell her as girls and boys grow their body parts all grow.Like growing tall,hand and legs getting longer ,having body hair etc

Madhurima21, BhumiBabe and anika987 like this.
  3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

To be honest, answering as honestly As you can about kids questions, is the best you can do. They do store the information away, and will not continue to ask embarrassing details.

I am assuming she is asking about breasts. You can say it in various ways, but I would say that breasts are to feed babies. Tell her that it’s all part of growing up, just as getting taller and stronger. I’ve also had the ‘how are babies born’ question from my 5 year old son. He knows he came out of my belly, but still doesn’t understand how- I say that the doctor was able to take him out and distract him with baby pictures. My son likes to tell me that he likes my breasts (not in those words), and that they are very comfy. I accept the compliment and not make it shameful- I don’t want him to grow up with a negative connection to female bodies.

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

A 7 year old is old enough to understand. I talk to my 5 and 7 years old in simple language and explain most everything.
    My daughter calls breasts”milk” so I finally corrected her and we use proper names for organs. She knows that when she grows up she will have breasts.
    We have talked about differences in male and female anatomy since we have a boy and a girl and they are curious about why their privates look different.

These are very common questions and kids want to know about their body.

5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

anika987 likes this.
  6. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

kids these days are much more knowledgeable than you were at that age, thanks to the information explosion thru all channels..at 7 she is more aware the bodily differences, but subject to the input they get. First dont discourage, since its safer the info comes thru parents esp. the mother.. you can explain how nature, if you & family are comfy with relgion, god etc., takes care of life in the universe by providing safety, sustenance thru nourishment etc., for growth of all living beings. Everything is organised and in order so that life goes on, the development of our body being one such feature. This way kids also can be made to appreciate and respect nature too.

anika987 and Madhurima21 like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Similarly at a loss, way back in the last century where there was no internet and no parenting books, my friend's mother explained it to her as they were a convenient storage spot for powder dabba and puff.
    talcum.jpg

Like most young kids, my friend took the explanation at face value and did not seek further details and thankfully, no verification.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Minion, anika987 and kaluputti like this.
  8. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Like most young kids, my friend took the explanation at face value and did not seek further details and thankfully, no verification.[/QUOTE]
    :roflmao::number_one:

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Think of how your mom explained it to you and you get the cue.....

anika987 likes this.