1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Moved To Canada From Usa?

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by gknew, Sep 18, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Than you so much @nuss. This is new to me about layering. I will try to follow this. I just do thermal wear underneath and a sweater on top of the dress. This was ok for Atlanta weather. Haven't been to any other places in winter so far. So no clue about it.
    Is silk underwear bottoms differ from thermals?

nuss likes this.
  2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Hi @gknew- The thermal wear comes in many different fabrics. I prefer silk thermals, my husband prefers merino wool. Either way, you want something that is thin (so won't add bulk), provide warmth, natural material that can absorb moisture, and easy to clean. The reason I like silk thermals is because it fits in all the above criteria. They aren't very durable like a synthetic but I have had for 10 years and are still good. I only wear thermals when I know I will be spending a portion of my day outside. Silk thermals can be washed in sink and dry within hours (good for packing during trips).
    A down-filled jacket is also must for northern winters. I bought one in Scotland years ago and I still go for it when the weather is very cold.

gknew likes this.
  3. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

shravs3 and gknew like this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much.
    How do you wash and maintain those winter clothes? Do you only have wash them and line dry? How often you wash the winter clothes?

nuss likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I am a sucker when it comes to washing. I wash everything after one wear. Winter clothes are a bit of exception though. I wah thermals after every use. I fill the sink with lukewarm/cool water and add detergent for delicate clothes, wash and line dry. Same with my cashmere/wool sweaters, wool pants, and socks. I always layer sweaters on top of a tee so I can wear 2-3 times before washing. I wear pants 3-4 times before washing and socks of course after every wear. I would dry clean everything 2-3 times during season and rest of the time just a quick wash with cool water in the washing machine at a delicate setting. If I have more time at hand, I wash everything by hand. Coats I get drycleaned before putting them away in summer and then dry clean as needed.
    No wool clothes ever go in the dryer (I have done it and they come out as baby clothes). Line dry flat everything.

gknew likes this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@nuss How do you wash puffer jacket? I am really scared to put it into machine/dryer as it’s little expensive..

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    gknew and nuss like this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

If it is an expensive esp down jacket, I always get dry cleaned. For the regular puffer jackets (I have a few with university logos and 1-2 that I bought from Ross), machine wash is fine. You can check the label, most would say machine wash ok.

shravs3 likes this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

When I was new to western winter, I loved everything down-filled. I didn’t know the jackets/ blankets etc. were filled with real goose down feathers. I prefer down alternate now. I feel weird surrounded by feathers. I don’t know if anyone else feels that way .

gknew likes this.