Flying With Kids During Pandemic

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SGBV, Sep 21, 2020.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Finally, I am flying to Bangladesh with family to resume work on 2nd Oct 2020.
    The office has booked my tickets, but the decision to take or leave the family was left on me. After consulting all everything, we have finally decided to take the family (me, H and Kids) along. Thus, booked their tickets (which was supper expensive as there is no direct flight, but we have to travel through Dubai with a 11 hr transit at DXB).

As we are working on kid's school leaving formalities, covid19 tests, vaccination procedures and shopping before the flight, I am bit concerned and feel uneasy about taking kids this time due to covid19 pandemic.

So, I would like to hear from your first hand experience about flying during this season, specially with children? and if possible any experiences from your near/dear ones to enlighten me. So that, I could prepare myself, make up my mind and educate my kids accordingly.

I did check with my colleagues, the office and others in Bangladesh and hear all positive notes from all.
    The covid19 is prettymuch there, but its all in our hands and if we maintain good hygienic practices, we are safe.

Besides that kids won't be going outside for now, at least until Dec.
    I too will be mostly working from home there, and the office/surrounding would be very safe too.
    We will get the supplies and other facilities at the door steps too.

My worry is the flight.
    From SL to DXB it takes 4 hrs. At the airport the wait is nearly 11 hrs, and then from DXB to Dhaka it takes another 4.5 hrs. Which means, we will be roaming outside and mostly on flight for the whole day.

1) At the cabin, whether to eat the food or not?
    2) Whether to wipe everything, including the seats, accessories, food trays and screen using alcohol wipes? or is it not necessary if the plane is sanitized already before we are boarded?
    3) Whether to use the pillow, the headphones, blankets from the flight or bring ours instead?
    4) How about water bottles? whether they allow us to bring our own?

At the long wait at the DXB airport.... the question comes about using washrooms?
    We will have no option, but to use them. How safe they are? What needs to be noted while using them?
    At the food court, play area, duty free shopping etc..etc.... what precautions to be taken? any suggestions?

While landing.... We will be quarantined in a star hotel for 15 days, which our office will sponsor. Hopefully the hotel would be a safe place, but still if you have any suggestions, please pour in....

Thanks & best regards

Similar Threads
    1. user100
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Thyagarajan
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. sneha1985
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Even during non-Covid times while traveling in planes I always:
    1) wipe down my seat
    2) carry my own blanket and headphones
    3) carry a water bottle as per rules after the security check
    I wouldn’t worry about eating food served on board. Wear masks at all times except eating and carry plenty of hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes.
    To use the restroom you can wipe down the seat, try to be as efficient as possible and of course wash hands thoroughly.
    Bring as many toys and games as you can so you can avoid public areas in the airport.

Archanaanchan, SGBV and blindpup10 like this.
  3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,
    Are you flying from India via VBM or If i read correctly, you said SL/Sri Lanka?
    Reason I asked, I flew through VBM and could give you experience about food etc.
    Other than that,
    -yes always sanitize where you sit. Get some spray sanitizers and keep it everywhere, purse, pocket, diaper bag etc so you do not have fiddle around.
    -Yes, we had food outside everywhere( departure airport, in flight, arrival airport). No option. Infact, we had 1 time food but we still had outside food
    -Yes we used airport bathrooms, again no option. Just sanitize the toilet seats, door handles etc. Spray flight toilets before going in. Avoid movement in flights.

I flew with my kids in peak times when people were not much aware or then back via VBM when still in shock/panic mode. Our flights did not provide anything ( VBM flights - for covid reasons) so we did not have blankets /pillow/ entertainment system etc.

They provide masks, sanitizers but carry your own also. Also faceshields, they are much hard to walk with. Carry your some food atleast for kids. For us, flight did not provide any regular meals but packaged horrible food. We did eat it, no option as we had long flight, and long wait before at airport.
    Do not move much in flights so for that move a lot in 11 hrs layover. If possible, get room in transit lounge.
    We were trying but that time everything was closed.

Mostly, every person flying in this time is careful and following sanitizing procedures. No one wants to be sick.
    We had same worries before travelling and were confused. Travelling felt like mountain to us.
    Good luck. You and your family will be fine.

Archanaanchan and SGBV like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks both of you!

We are flying from Sri Lanka to Dubai & then Dubai to Dhaka.
    It is Emirates commercial flight.
    Heard there will be limited number of passengers in the flight as the tickets are very very expensive & only a very few unavoidable flights are taking off these days.
    So, not worried much about regular crowd in the flight though.

But food.... As you said, we will not be having much option,but to adjust with what is available.
    We are taking covid19 test 48 hrs before the flight & that certificate is a must.
    So hope others too would have taken the same.

Getting a launch/room inside the airport is a good option for the 11 hrs waiting. Thanks.

As you said we should bath in sanitizer for the day ;)

Archanaanchan likes this.
  5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

You seem to have the travel bit covered.
    Dont forget to plan for your hotel quarantine- this will not be like a normal hotel stay . You may not be able to use any facilities or even step out of your rooms . Ideal if you can get a big balcony.
    15 days in closed quarters with young kids- keep with you stuff that will not only keep them occupied but burn energy. Check with the hotel about the food arrangements if kids have any restrictions, cleaning , external food delivery service etc. I have had friends/acquaintances who were so bored despite being in the best hotel

Safe journey, @SGBV

Archanaanchan likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @SunPa

Its a 5 star hotel, that has been currently taken over by the UN for staff quarantine. So there will not be any outsiders, but the incoming UN staff & their families staying. Since most of the staffs have already returned back to the duty station, a very few like me would be coming to that hotel these days. So probably less crowded.
    But I didn't think of "staying closed doors" part. I thought we could go out to the restaurent & gym facilities as well as to the garden/beech areas within the hotel premises. but not sure though. You have a valid point, it is not a holiday stay, but a quarantine time.

As for food, they will give us choices and the options are not much different from what we eat here at home. So, not an issue.
    Wifi and TV would be our saviors I hope.
    I would still be working from the hotel on-line, while my H and kids need to figure out a way though

7. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

Hi ma'am since you mentioned that the flight is not filled a lot I think you are good to go.
    Just as a precaution carry everything blankets and so. And once you reach the hotel sanitize everything that has been outside including your bags which you would move around with, the clothes you were wearing before you touch anything in the room. Keep few plastic covers handy to dispose your masks gloves n stuff before entering your room.
    Keep jewelry on you to the minimum. Anything that has to be used during travel keep it in small travel cases so if needed you can dispose or sanitize easily.
    Get good covers or screen gaurd on your phone so you can clean them up.
    Try to use gloves when using restrooms.
    Remember 20seconds hand wash.

Hope you have a safe travel.

Just be as cautious as possible.

8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

You should travel alone and settle down and analyze the real situation and then ask your DH and kids to join you, friends there might say everything is good but only you know what will work for your family.

9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Well, I think it is good to stay together as a family. If god forbid something happens, she will never be able to be at peace there and vice versa.
    It is hard to travel with them, but can not live without them.
    when i was in india stranded, at one point, I thought of tavelling to my parents alone, leaving kids at ILs ( we were stranded for few months in covid at peak and everything was banned), but decided against it, if i get stuck alone at parents house with kids far. Sitation was changing every day and has not gotten better.

SGBV likes this.
  10. livingitup

livingitup Bronze IL'ite

SBGV, Since Dubai is a very large airport, see if you can purchase lounge passes for you and the famil, that way you limit your exposure with touch and food. restrooms are used by fewer people and food is prepared fresh in the lounges. Entertainment is accounted for in the lounge especially when its a 11 hour layover. Bonus is the showers in the lounges.

SGBV likes this.