Idea Of Minimalism - Is It Practically Possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Vedhavalli, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

What is your idea on Minimalism?
    Is it practically possible in current consumeristic world ?

Ever since this pandemic of covid19, many of us started to online shopping almost daily basis.
    I saw many of neighbors friends shopping mindlessly, even the things they don't need.
    So, it popped up a question, why can we follow minimalism though we want to ?

Eg. Going for a Indian wedding grand Kanjeevaram sari, gold and cute hairstyles. Of course designer blouse. Matching accessories.are now part of regime, most importantly no one repeats the clothes they wear once in a family / Friends circle.

People obsessed with fb/instagram to put nice pics in different outfits for different functions or parties.
    They don't want to repeat due to social convention.
    Few days before I went to friends Pooja I wore saree, the friend asked 'hey you wore the same saree to Mrs A's last year Golu'. Honestly I don't remember. So this question popped even for small events is repeating the dress not normal?

Is it really an old thought of refusing to wear the same clothes we buy with thousands of rupees or 100s of dollars??
    Most of us don't sell our dresses to due to sentimental or lazy or don't even think about selling .
    Where is the storage space? How much money wasted?
    My idea is reduce reuse & up cycle.
    Is the idea of being minimalist real possible in current world scenario where showbiz starts are own family events?

I tried being low-key at a function entire family thought I was ill .
    What is your thoughts on being Minimalism ??

2. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

It surely is possible to practice it and its a good thing to the extent you like to do it.
    However, it is only possible if you focus on your peace and not be bothered about what others do and what others think. Immunity from "what others are doing or thinking about us" is a pre-requisite. March on with your minimalism. Also there may be rat-race of posting pics on insta/fb/social media, but it is up to us whether we need to be part of the race or not bother about it.

3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Hahaha!!!!! I laughed so much at this quip I had to log in to reply.

Minimalism is good. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. I personally feel that if you are first one in your circle to espouse it, then you need to set expectations by proclaiming it, directly or indirectly. So above situation doesnt occur. Minimalism has its advantages. Instead of wasteful and ostentatious expenditure for example in functions it focus attention on the actual meaning and significance of the ceremony which is sweet. But it takes time so be patient.

anika987 and Vedhavalli like this.
  4. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

" it is up to us whether we need to be part of the race or not bother about it"
    Precious words, and the only words that make sense in this crazy world of consumerism. Having said that I stress that minimalism is possible when we start living our own lives.

Vedhavalli, Mistt and peartree like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In my home, and in parts of my life that intersect less with those of others, I find it quite possible to practice minimalism. I've found that it becomes easier to practice if you are driven to it by something that comes from deep within you. It shows up unbidden at times when you are about to add clutter to your life, like -- you decide to rethink that Amazon rotating spice rack or phone holder item that is in the checkout cart. : )

I happened to make my room at home what I think can be called minimalist. Ruthless clearing up, giving away bags of stuff, organizing things in a simple way, and following the 3 minute clean-up rule has helped keep it like that. The 3 minute rule essentially says that unless you have a toddler or a messy partner, you can do a lot of tidying up of a room in 3 minutes.

It does get challenging to follow minimalism on occasions like when attending a wedding. I take a sort of middle path. I wear whatever is the fanciest thing I have then, but, it would have been repeated. I feel that being too different from the other guests calls attention to oneself in a way that I don't like to. I would rather reserve the minimalism for weddings or functions/events that I am organizing, not ones that I am attending.

I came to know about this a few years ago. I understood from conversations with family in India that if there is a wedding coming up, then, everyone gets new clothes stitched or buys readymade. It seems as much part of life as getting a gift to give in the wedding. At first I was a bit shocked by how people spend so much money on a dress they might wear only once. But, it brings them a lot of joy too.. So, if they can afford it, if it makes them happy... why not... My personal gain in this is that they are more than happy to give me the once-worn stuff. : )
    It's a harmless question. "Yes, I think it's the same." Or, "am so glad the blouse still fits." are about the only response one needs to give. Though I do remember one time -- my house's house-warming, I was wearing a rather simple silk saree (pochampalli or sambalpuri one), and back then, for me any "silk" meant festival/puja : ) My friend said, "Oh I thought you would wear at least a kanjeevaram." That comment poked like a pallu pin come undone. :lol:

6. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Minimalism is easier to follow when you are living abroad and don’t have much Desi crowd or Indian community get togethers...it s tough to follow minimalism if settled in Indian and have a big family circle and have to attend many traditional get togethers and big festival gatherings...
    My cousins living abroad in countries like US, Singapore etc have just a few sarees, I.e silk sarees, regular sarees and fancy sarees for any local functions and desi events in case if get togthers with Indian folks...( their outfits are always repeated in all their pics and albums )..this is because they invest in and wear more of Western wear...it works out more reasonably to spend less on clothes rarely used..
    I can’t follow minimalism even if I want to as I’m living in India, I would be misunderstood and looked down upon if not dressed appropriately in different sarees for different occasions! Same would hold good for most ladies living in slightly more traditional kind of family setup..( oh, waiting for Covid pandemic to end to wear those lovely sarees again)...

MalStrom, anika987 and Vedhavalli like this.
  7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

This is a very thought provoking thread. Idea of minimalism is not necessarily very few pieces of whatever you want to own. It is indeed owning a few/some items, but for me it is mostly using all my items to fullest while I do not have to stash too many back up items.
    - I own 10 pair of shoes, which I use extensively. this included everything for all seasons, to office, running/exercise, weddings etc. it is minimal for me. I will replace it only when one of them falls apart.
    - I own piece of clothes that I use to the fullest. No outfit sits in closet that I will not use within a year.
    - Since I live in US and attend only 2-3 indian events, I own only 6 sarees, 3 of them bought/gifted at my wedding 10 years ago and 3 of them came to my life in between. I do not mind being an outfit repeater. That is just me.
    But this won't work if i am a fashion blogger who needs a lot of outfit for the profession!

Same goes with the kitchen/house items, less I own, more easy to clean up and less clutter. It goes with my style of decor too. Whenever H and I buy something, we discuss, how long we need it and is it absolutely necessary before we actually buy anything.

This is entirely possible, you just have to come up with your needs and define minimalism by it.
    I was drawn into minimalism initially by watching some youtube videos. then came the netflix series "Tidying up with Marie Condo". It resonated with me if something brings me joy, I would keep it, if I am unsure i would donate or give it to someone who might need it. That brought quite a lot of joy actually. I even sold some on Facebook marketplace! My closet and home are much organized and I can keep track of every single thing in my home.
    When it comes to jewelry for Indian weddings or events, I own a few classic pieces, that goes with saree or salwar suits. I haven't bought any other jewelry in the recent times. I like to own a few classic sarees so that I can repeat it. When some one asks if this is what I wore in a previous event, I have no problem in admitting that I repeat my outfit!! If I lived in India, I might need to own a few more pieces, depending on how many events in a year!

MalStrom, Vedhavalli, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Vedhavalli,

You raise a very pertinent question. I will not go into details of explaining what I do and just say that I simply dress up the way I want to. I would rather be comfortable than any other way.

That said, I have been wondering about masks even as I refuse plastic where I can! I am seeing so many masks around - matching masks, masks that make a statement, use and throw away masks.....you know what I mean. Talk about minimalism, our earth and the lessons we are learning or not!

It is an interesting thread and very nice to read all the responses as well.

anika987 and Vedhavalli like this.
  9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

My idea of minimalism is to avoid unnecessary clutter. It is about simplicity, utility, and if I may say, elegance!

I don’t mind repeating the outfit and I don’t think I have bought any gold jewelry in 10 years. I do buy a saree during my India trip but I wear sarees to work whenever my mood strikes.
    Not only clothing, I try to follow the same concept throughout the house. No random decoration stuff... everything we own has a story, a connection to our travels or a special occasion, gift etc.

Kids stuff (their toys mostly) is a whole different story though!

10. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Minimalism is like how movie heroes after a mean feat tend to lay low for a while.

Vedhavalli likes this.