1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Nandshyam, Mar 28, 2008.

1. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

1. light fantastic : by terry pratchett, i am a fan of terry pratchett, that about sums it ! fantastic !
    2. A man called ove: frederick blakman : wow! a heart warming story really, i think we all know a man like Ove and can actually relate to him
    3. The martian : andy weir : hmm... liked his DIY attitude, never say die approach but i think he was unbelievably optimistic...i mean come on...you cannot be stranded on mars alone with next spacecraft from earth due only after 4 years and bleak chances of survival , food and water can only last so many days, and u have to wear a space suit to go out or be inside the controlled environment of hab, and there is no anger, worry, desperation or despondency for the impending gloom.
    instead he cheerfully goes about overcoming one obstacle after the other with science ( okay i confess i didnt understand much of it) and with zero reference to the emotions. !

Ramyarc, Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: I am glad to note that you could read such wonderful authors some pragmatic and few incredible.
    2. In the past, you might have had your valuable feedbacks posted in my thread or threads. This impelled me to look for your threads but there is no way to reach into the list via the profile.
    3. Those who read voraciously must be posting unforgettable posts and so how do I reach your threads now?
    Thanks and Regards.

gorgeous23 likes this.
  3. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

1. the subtle art of not giving a **** : by mark manson - cudnt finish it, too shallow and the word " **** " used atleast a thousand times or more i think. read it or not - i wont give a ****.
    2. a court of mist and fury - by sarah j maas- i dont know what came over me that i decided to read this book , i think her glass of throne, court of thrones and roses etc. have been a huge hit and she had 5 star reviews on goodreads, maybe that did that.
    but it is ridiculously written, and has graphic sexual descriptions , it was more like a trashy erotica, cudnt complete this either, as i read on i got more and more annoyed and just skimmed over the pages before finally putting it down.
    and they market it as young adult - i woudnt want my daughter to read it unless she is too old to decide for herself, not teenage anyway. nowhere do they mention it has explicit content. american marketing !!!
    and i seriously cant believe these series have been a bestseller. i mean really !! just check out social media and she is everywhere with fanfiction etc - she has an entire marketing department i think.

Rihana likes this.
  4. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

@ Thyagarajan sir
    thank you, but i dont know either !

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

6. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

1. Leading Change: How Successful Leaders Approach Change Management : all right this was compulsory reading under an official course and i had to read it and answer questions, but it was actually good reading, given the fact that i dont read such academic books.
    the gist: a good leader should be able to take most of the people along, be able to identify the causes of resistance as well as those who resist and should know when to negotiate or pacify or help out those resisting as well as be able to use his positional power and network to correct those same people or systems and push changes through.
    So you take all along even if it means kicking some in their ass to keep them in the line :) aint sure that was what the book said, but that is what i have found to be true all along.
    2. and now coming to my favorite part: wyrd sisters by Terry Practhett: i had been wanting to read it for a long time and here it was, and it did not disappoint. so we have a king who has been murdered, the duke and his murderous wife, the fool, the heir, and of course the three witches trying to set things right, all happening in the delightful discworld.
    3. Leave it to Psmith : PG Wodehouse: i read wodehouse after a long time, it was really agood and light read.

Both terry pratchett and PG wodehouse have a way with words, it is as much the way in which they use English language as well as the actual story that is really fun.
    Really good :)

7. Thyagarajan

:hello:Gorgeous23
    Lee Iacocca master mind behind ford Mastani and resurrection of Chrysler for rom bankruptcy- a read of his biography will tell how the leader could take along ......
    chrysler iacocca legacy - Google Search
    Jack welch of General Electric too an example of good leadership. A Read of his book about six sigma is worth it.

Any book any day TP IS EXCELLENT with riveting quotes.

My favourite during college days in 1960s. Many of his humour copied into movies in Hollywood in one form or another. Jeeves the inimitable creation....
    Our Senior Moderator @Cheeniya a lover of PGW works, had posted a thread
    P. G. Wodehouse A Tribute
    a read of which would give idea as to how unhappy time he had when he was young.

Happy voracious reading. You had given me nostalgia.
    Thanks and Regards.

gorgeous23 likes this.
  8. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

Back to reading our lovely childhood treasure R.K Narayan's - Swami and Friends.
    I have to say it is such a simple and enjoyable story.
    On that note does anyone know if it is in public domain? I found the book in Internet archive.org. Want to clarify if someone else also knows about it.

9. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

oh yes madhat, i am a member of archive.org and have read quite a large number of books there, they have a good collection, you can borrow a book for an hour of for 14 days or even download if it is
    in public domain and the bets part is it is free !

10. Thyagarajan

:hello::hello:
    upload_2020-9-8_19-31-52.jpeg

A super read in lucid style - a must read from point of view blacks vs whites