1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Irritating Me So Much

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Needtobestrong, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

It's such a big pain to live with inlaws during this Cocid time...
    I’m working with less rest as there are no maids and chores need to be done...
    But directly or indirectly she keeps saying that I m not doing work and I should work harder and do more work..she keeps telling what hardships she faced, how work she did when she was my age....BORING...
    She has even turned my husband against me and he is getting irritated with me for small things...I mean even a small thing like an item kept in different place or warm water got over in flask etc makes her throw sarcastic criticism at me...
    Even small things she has a problem...
    Always making some sarcastic remark or the other indirectly meant for me...
    She loves to travel and is Pissed off coz travel is not possible..she shows her irritation in different ways...
    As if I am responsible for her not being able to travel.
    Keeps complaining of health problems and lack of rest though she is getting so much rest and relaxed here ..keeps lamenting that she is feeling unwell and weak...before Covid we told her to go health check she refused....if she and FIL were living alone they would have had to do all the work themselves , here she has happily delegated all her work and sitting comfortably and playing politics.
    I have some health problems ,had to be on heavy medications unfortunately.. she keeps arguing as to how I got this , why I’m taking medicine and how others my age are so much healthier and fitter than me...
    After all the slogging some of my old clothes started fitting and I felt my weight may be stable or reduced...I always wear loose fitting nightwear at home which don’t compliment my figure and she made a remark that my *** looks bigger and I’ve gained weight there and she started telling me to do such and such exercise to reduce it!!!!
    I’ve always had a pear shaped body and nothing can change it!
    She spends hours together on video chats and calls with all her friends, acquaintances and relatives...all gossips exchanged ...she has nice fun, along with that they also may have incited her and poisoned her mind to "control" me and maybe to sit and sleep and play politics...
    Heard some of the aunties telling her that "just say no, dont do any work or help , just you sleep let them do everything " etc..those aunties have full time 24 hours live in maids so they are comfortably sitting! Unlike us...
    She is really getting on my nerves....
    I'm really starting to envy ladies who dont have to live with in laws permanently...
    My FIL is too scared to say anything against her and indirectly encourages her to misbehave.
    Such a PAIN..
    Any suggestions for me to stay calm and cool so this crazy lady doesn't make me also crazy???
    My irritation levels are high! Help me ladies.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:It is clear indeed that you were not watching soaps - I mean tv Channels in Hindi, tamil, Malayalam and Telugu serials where throughout the day till vee hours throwing numerous novel ideas to do away with or face challenges thrown by “Hitler woman” - the unreasonable gossiping fault finding MIL.

2. Second is instead of responding try in those situations asking counter questions to her. If she starts saying “during those days at your age we were....” just tell her help you verify her statement with some evidence.

• You can say whatever she says “of those days” can never be verified for its veracity.
    • You can even dumbfound her, if you like, by telling/ bluffing that “her Mil” was appearing and disturbing you in your early morning dreams and revealed some nasty “truths”.
    • It has got to be good a concoction involving kuladeivam coming in dreams with her Mil etc.

3. There was a tamil book authored by late actress Bhanumathi about how she dealt with her MIL. A SERIOUS War mongering ever complaining MIL dealt with by a DIL in humorous ways.. A search in google would help to get the title name and the book. It was previously serialised in magazine Kumudam a weekly.

4. You have to be little imaginative in your sentence to counter her statements, so that she is in a predicament to formulate her next sentence or statement.

5. If DH are meek subordinates to their unreasonable pugnacious moms, DILs should take up the cudgel! You have to take the bull by it’s horns. Confront upfront. குனியக்குனிய குட்டத்தான் செய்வாக ம்மா.

GOD Bless.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  3. Needtobestrong

Sir, your reply was indeed entertaining...In a lighter vein..haha..

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Needtobestrong

@anika987 , you had posted a thread on similar lines recently right...your MIL seems like the Akka/ elder sis of mine!the endless complaining never stops !cant imagine how she will become when she reaches her 70s too..

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

This is a universal problem unfortunately. No matter how much you do, it is not enough for them. Someone can do better. ALWAYS.

Needtobestrong and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

I am sorry for your plight and I had been in the same boat few years ago, the same irritating MIL and passive FIL, you cannot do anything to change her, she is made that way in fact I don't if you have noticed she can't take it if she see's you happy, inwardly she is enjoying criticizing and body shaming you, they get an ultimate pleasure in this.

So it is you who have to change, totally ignore her words and do things the way you want to do , when she talks about your health and diet tell her you know the best and you love your body, your reply to her must be stern yet polite, don't just give a hear to her non stop health problems, its her Sons duty to take of her not you, she dint give birth to you nor raised you, concentrate on your kids more, spend more time in pampering yourself.

This is my sincere opinion out of my own experience , no matter what ever you do you will be for ever criticized and judged, no one is going to crown you for being a best DIL.

Needtobestrong and dars like this.
  7. Needtobestrong

@sarvantaryamini @blessed
    Thank you for sympathetic replies..
    Really all MILs have this in built of criticizing their own DILs and comparing with others..
    Many times I've taunted for being unwell even when I did my share of work without taking any rest...Ireally dont feel like putting in extra efforts into any task these days...Really I'm waiting for them for to go their native place for some days so I'll get some relaxation...dont know when that's going to happen...

8. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

If your MIL taunts you about your health or body shape, be stern and tell this is me and my husband is okay with it. If you are unwell, tell her as you say I am unhealthy so why don't you come and help. If she doesn't help, just make bare minimum and go rest. Let her give you the world's worst DIL certificate, let her call all her people and publish this news. These will not matter 1 bit. Just go on with your life. And pls show that you have self respect, don't allow her to belittle you.

These people no matter what you do will try to find faults with you. So dont even attempt satisfying them, you will only end up regretting for wasting your emotional & physical wellbeing.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  9. Mandir

Mandir Silver IL'ite

Don't worry so much. Things will change in coming days. Have faith, have hope in God.
    Cool. Don't argue with anyone, it will spoil the relationship itself.

10. Pinkrose80

Pinkrose80 New IL'ite

You need to tell her different people have different tolerance levels. There are women working in the fields all day. Can she do that? There are men carrying rice bags on their backs ALL DAY. Can your FIL/husband do that? They really need to shut up as long as you are doing your fair share. Does she do her fair share of work? I can never understand the sense of entitlement some people have! They are NOT entitled to showing their frustration on the DIL.

Needtobestrong likes this.