1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Real Worship Of Ganpati Bappa

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by muggs, Sep 1, 2020.

1. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

The day of Bappa's farewell has arrived. We have to wait for a whole year to welcome our dear Ganpatiji again.

We all love our dear Ganesha a lot and whenever Bappa comes, he brings a smile on the face of all his devotees.

Being a true devotee, it's our duty to make Bappa also smile and feel him proud. He definitely gets happy to see all the devotion and celebration but he will be truly elated if we could follow his teachings, comprehend their real meaning and try to become like our ideal Ganesha instead of just worshipping his idol.

There are many stories we have heard about Lord Ganesha and every story teaches us salient lessons of life.

Today, I would like to share some of them and pray that Lord Ganesha bestows us with wisdom to understand the true essence of these stories and his attributes.

We all must have heard the story about Lord Ganesha's birth. Mata Parvati asked her son Ganesha to guard and not allow anyone to enter. But Shivji, unaware of the fact that Ganesha had been created by Parvatiji, in wrath of his anger and fury, beheaded him when Ganesha tried to stop him. But after realizing his mistake, he brought back his life and accepted him as his own son.

This story taught us three important things - to be loyal to your loved ones, anger will cause only harm to you and your family, and lastly accept your mistakes and try to rectify it.

Another story which is very famous and always be told for Bappa's intelligence is when Ganeshji and his younger brother Karthikeyaji had been asked to circumvent their world 3 times by Shivji to settle down a dispute between them, then Ganeshji decided to take 3 rounds around his parents and said that they are his universe.

What we learnt from this story is that sometimes a difficult task can be handled smartly with wisdom and presence of mind so we should not give up. Another important lesson is to always love and respect your parents. They make you their world so why not to make them yours.

We all are aware that Shivji announced that before starting any new endeavor, it would be auspicious to worship Ganpatiji and take his blessings. And we follow it along, be it a personal, social or any kind of function or beginning of any new work. It is believed that Ganpatiji makes sure that our work gets completed without any obstacles.

This gives us another important learning that when someone gives us any responsibility keeping trust on us, consider it as your own and try to complete it by giving your 100%.

We call Lord Ganesha as "Vighnaharta" and pray to him to take away all our worries and problems. Similarly, we should also try to be other's Vighnharta by not creating problems for anyone and try to help someone in difficulty and free them from their worries.

Lord Ganesha's long ears signifies that we should listen more, small mouth denotes to speak less, and big belly symbolizes to digest anything, be it good or bad.

There is so much to learn from Bappa and just by following his teachings and attributes can certainly make our lives happy and peaceful. If we could try to absorb even a little bit out of it, that would be the real worship of Ganpati Bappa.

SunPa, Thyagarajan, Giri12 and 4 others like this.

2. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

Very nicely depicted the real meaning of worship.

Thyagarajan and muggs like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: upload_2020-9-2_15-17-11.jpeg @muggs
    I am agog to know what has impelled you to jot about adopting the legacies of Elephant God - largely known for His power to eliminate obstacles especially in come September supposed to be beginning of autumn in your part of the world - is it Toranto?

2. Yes sister - you are 100% right in telling fellow members here to imbibe and follow those legacies outlined in your post that sure would usher in better welfare to all.

3. The festival month - August just gone and with it the Vinayak Chathurthi on 22nd ultimo. But then I remembered my days in erstwhile Bombay at the hour or day of immersion - teneth day from start of Pooja - a vast sea of humanity gathering around arteries of Bombay almost for the entire day late into the evening till the procession of huge idols of colourful Lord Ganapathi reaches the beaches at Dadar or Chowpathy.

4. That day - Visarjan Anand Chaturthi - is probably today or yesterday when you began to think of posting on Lord Ganapathi. Yes your post it is apt timely. But due to COVID pandemic one can’t expect such gala and mela today over there.

5. On the day of Ganesh Visarjan, the family gathers in front of the idol and performs the final puja with flowers, lighting diyas, incense sticks, modaks, ladoos and other eatables prepared for the day. The puja concludes with the waving of camphor flame in front of the idol. The whole family chants prayers

6. It is nice that You had given gist of stories related to Lord Ganapathi aka Vinayak. I wish to add one more here: an excerpt from link*

• According to some, once during late evening, When Vinayakar had sumptuous modakh was ambling toward His shelter, He tumbled and his devotees’ offerings that He was carrying fell on the way side.

• Seeing His plight in getting up from the ground & running helter-skelter to gather fallen sweets, the moon laughed at Him in instalments. An enraged Vinayakar, cursed him instantly that henceforth moon would not be visible in full to others.

• Moon cried and apologised and requested to waive the curse. But The Lord said an emphatic no. Moon beseeched for at least some reduction in the curse. Lord then told that he could only revise the curse so that henceforth moon every month would be visible partially for some days and not visible at all for a day and fully visible once in a month.

• This could be the reason for some sighting the moon during the SANGHATA HARA CHADURTHI vrat is to be avoided.My mother belong to the other school and she said sighting crescent as it raises at the concluding stage of vradh would be auspicious.

*Moon Boon Lord & Kozhukattai

Thanks & Regards.
    God Bless.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    ratan and muggs like this.
  4. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @ratan... :blush: glad that you liked it:cheer:

5. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

First of all Thank you so much :relaxed:@Thyagarajan sir for taking out time and reading this post and sharing your memories of the festival. Yes it is one of a kind festival and specially in Mumbai, it's charm is something that can not be missed. As I stayed in Mumbai for 5 years, I got to experience this festival very closely and I would recommend every one should see the Mumbai's festivity of Ganeshotsav atleast once.

Now coming to the reason that made me write this is also an interesting one which I would like to share. As always my little one wants to hear new stories at her bedtime and as she saw the grand celebration of Ganeshotsav on TV in one of the old episodes of a famous Hindi sit-com, she wanted to hear stories of Lord Ganesha that night. I told her these stories which I heard earlier on different occasions. But according to her habit to ask "what we learnt from this story" at the end made me think what exactly we learned from the stories and moreover from the life of our dear Bappa. So that's when I did some research and thought to share my learnings and understanding to my fellow ILs and with my little one as well.

Thank you for sharing one more story. It definitely solved my today's quest of finding a new one for her.:blush:

Thyagarajan and ratan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Am delighted with this quick response to mine.
    2. Now the link is established in the form of bed time story telling to your babe, am glad that you are making her or him to imbibe the best of our Bhakthi which is now universal in pandemic time.
    With best wishes to baby - the author of best narration in the story
    Ok Google! When Coronavirus Will Go?
    Regards

muggs likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

First of all, Happy Ganesh Chathurti and may Lord Ganesha fulfill your wishes.
    Most of these stories about our Gods and Goddesses have a message for our good.

"We all must have heard the story about Lord Ganesha's birth. Mata Parvati asked her son Ganesha to guard and not allow anyone to enter. But Shivji, unaware of the fact that Ganesha had been created by Parvatiji, in wrath of his anger and fury, beheaded him when Ganesha tried to stop him. But after realizing his mistake, he brought back his life and accepted him as his own son."

This story tempted some politician to claim that surgery was invented in India.

8. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your blessings and wishes:blush:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

A Happy Ganeshotsav to you as well. May Lord Ganesha keep showering his blessings on all of us.
    I agree with you that all these stories actually give us very meaningful messages.

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Dear @muggs
    Interesting story about Ganpati Bappa Morya.
    I have always been fascinated with ganesh and so are my children. I read somewhere that in olden days every house used to make their own ganpati with mud and clay and later immerse that in the river.
    This was good for the river cleansing too.

People in those days celebrated keeping environment in mind, unfortunately these days in the name of celebrations what we see is, traffic jam, loud music and ganeshji made from harmful materials and immersing that in the water bodies.

All our stories and culture has loads of things to teach us, unfortunately we havent learnt them properly or fully i feel.

Sorry, for deviating away from the post muggs.
    Regards
    Nandu