1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ahhh..onsite

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Aug 26, 2020.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

‘I board a flight atleast once in month.. I can tell you the place to get the best Quiche in Paris’ my senior was bragging in alumni meet. He then asked a tough question ‘So how often you travel?’

‘Hmmm.. depends ‘I evaded. He need not know about my last onsite to Vietnam and my onsite prayers.

My husband smirked when I said I’m going for passport renewal. ‘Do they need passport for travel from home to office or they need someone travel again to Vietnam?’ he asked.

It just happened few days after my passport renewal my boss asked ‘ Will you be okay with travel abroad?’

‘Tell me it’s not Vietnam’ I prayingly asked. When the reply was positive I agreed.

There are many added advantages of leaving an ever travelling husband and naughty four year old at home. There is no one to wake you up and 2am to tell what they want for snack box, there is no one to asking for help to find the shoe which is in shoe rack, there is no call from school summoning you for emergency meeting as ‘Your son entered girl’s toilet’

‘Seems that region has a pull for you..’ my husband teased as he dropped me to airport.

They say be careful what you wish for..So god answered my onsite prayers..it was not Vietnam..just Vietnam’s border – Cambodia.

I had a nail biting moment as the luggage cleared weight check.As I as travelling along with a foodie friend at work we made list of groceries to carry abroad. While making that list at office a colleague of us thought we were entering ‘Master Chef’ competition together.

I could say truly a richer onsite awaited me …yes 1 USD was roughly equal to 4000 in Cambodian currency.

I went there for product training and they mistook my feel free to ask anything by asking ‘Do all Indian woman have Curly hair’ and ‘Why are you a vegetarian?’. What Am I to answer my boss who asked me to keep track of all questions posted and publish it to wider forum.

I hope it won’t be counted as lie when I said papad was prepared all by myself afterall I purchased from store and fried it. Me & my friend used the strategy of offering home cooked Indian food when client came to us with tough questions..which sent them back with the comment ‘Indian food..too spicy..will come back…’ to take a gulp of water.

In an attempt to engage with my stakeholders I asked about the tourist attraction ‘Angkor Wat’ only to receive two hours passionate speech about the place. When I visited Angkor Wat despite I realized why they are so passionate about the place.

Despite the horrific past the country has gone through (read on Cambodian Genocide) I found the people of the country are warm and friendly and it was a great place to be in.

My onsite prayer still continues..Please god onsite to USA, UK, Australia…

iyerviji, SunPa, VinuthaS and 2 others like this.
  2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@blackbeauty84.

Nice one. Enjoyed reading your experiences in your Onsite visit to Vietnam.

So funny! I had good laugh after reading last sentence in above paragraph :tearsofjoy:. Thanks!
    Heard about Angkor wat temple. Hope God listens your prayers and you will travel your favorite onsite countries soon.

3. blackbeauty84

Many many thanks for your feedback Mistt. Glad u liked it.

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@blackbeauty84
    Dear Sister
    I am amazed reading your jotting that you somewhat loathe Vietnam - a place plundered in war fought by two outside nations erstwhile Russia & USA.

BTW did you get your favourite IDLI sambar in Vietnam?

While I envy and liked your narration of plight and flight that include offering Indian cuisine to counterparts when they put ticklish questions to you, I find no mention of rat and rodent dishes for which that nation is famous for.

Some of the best brands of quinoa rice (திணை அரிசி) known for its richness imported to India from there.

Any traveller can enjoy tasty and luxurious meals to get a true taste of authentic Vietnamese culture and fine dining. The best part of travelling in Vietnam is its wide selection of street foods and delicacies offered fresh from panthat includes rodents & rats.

My college friend - owner of an electronic enterprise - did great business with Vietnam and reaped huge rewards in 1970-80. That was the time he mentioned delicacies of Vietnam made out of rats and rodents and there fur removed and rest fried and offered in wayside restaurants.

He humorously told that offers huge opportunity for Indian company Food corporation of India to export meaning rats and rodents population in their godowns & Warehouses all over India.

upload_2020-9-2_11-48-1.jpeg

Yes with Cambodia - you had struck a positive note - and you did enjoy visit to the huge largest Vishnu temple tuned Buddhist later - situated within a compound of size 3.5 x 3.5 kms in Angor Wat.
    upload_2020-9-2_12-1-52.jpeg

While my plans are afoot to visit these two places, let me wish your dream for on-site USA, UK & other top Nations.

Thanks and Regards.

God bless.

5. blackbeauty84

Many thanks for your feedback.
    I did enjoy both the places mostly managed with home cooking in both the places. I once went to market where such meat were solved. Unforgettable experience it was!

Angkor wat was an awesome experience. You must visit those places.

Thanks once again for your nomination.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Nice writeup @blackbeauty84 , had a smile while reading it!

Actually Cambodia is one of my to see places , twice my plans fell thru. The flights are not many and pricy. One day I will though, while my knees are still strong to go to Ankor Wat.

7. blackbeauty84

:) Thanks Sunpa.

Angkor wat is a must see place. They say third time lucky..plan now

sarvantaryamini and SunPa like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@blackbeauty84
    Ref #5 your response to my FB.
    I asked about availability of idli sambar - one of your favourites that won you accolades here - in those places you had visited!

Thanks and Regards.

9. blackbeauty84

Sorry missed reading about your idli sambar query..

we did get there..we discovered one dosa shop which served this idli sambar. I will gladly refer that place if anyone is visiting Phnom Penh city :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Awesome post. Congrats for being nominated. All the best for getting the award