1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forgiveness Leads To Freedom

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by muggs, Aug 16, 2020.

1. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

The whole auditorium was echoed with the triumphant of “Ma Smitpragya”. Everyone was chanting her name. She folded her hands and thanked all her devotees after the session.

She was praying in her room with closed eyes when someone knocked on the door.

“Two of the devotees were requesting to meet you.” One of her pupils came and handed a slip with names on it. She looked at the slip and calmly nodded her head.

10 Years Ago -

Sumedha, in her beautiful red lehnga, wearing sindoor, and mangal sutra was sitting on the bed covered with red rose petals, in the room filled with jasmine’s fragrance. She was waiting for Suhas, her life partner, whom she was just married to. She was nervous, shy, and excited all at the same time. It was already 2 A.M. when Suhas entered the room drunk. He was not even able to stand properly.

“Ohh God.. I am very tired” he didn’t care to say anything else or even look at Sumedha and went straight to sleep.

Sumedha was stunned with whatever happened. She felt extremely odd as she wasn’t expecting this at all. She spent the whole night just sitting and convincing herself that it was just a bad dream.

The next day was spent in after-marriage rituals and customs. Finally at night, after all the guests left, and her in-laws also retired to their room, Sumedha found herself alone with Suhas. She tried to start the conversation but before she could ask anything, whatever Suhas said, made her speechless and shattered.

“Look Sumedha, I love someone else. She is my distant cousin and hence marriage was impossible but I can never forget her and give anyone else that place in my life. Because of family and social pressure, I did this marriage but for me it means nothing.” He didn’t stay there for another second and left the house without looking at her.

Always peaceable Sumedha wanted to burst, scream and cry but some strange power stopped her. She left everything on time and her destiny. She kept living there like a robot, who does everything but without any emotions. There was no change in Suhas. Coming late and drunk had become part of his daily routine. They never spoke to each other after that night. But one day something happened that just broke Sumedha’s patience and she took the decision to leave that house.

That day her mother-in-law went to some Satsang and she was alone in the house. The doorbell rang and his father-in-law standing at the door. He was a drunkard and not at all in his senses. He stared at her from top to bottom. Sumedha was shocked and as she immediately sensed something was not right. She ran out of the house from the back door. She didn’t have the courage to go back to the house. His filthy stare was unforgettable. After a few hours, when she was sure that her mother-in-law must be back, she entered the house. She wanted to tell her MIL about it but she knew no one would believe her. There was no point in talking to Suhas. She somehow managed to spend that night in the house and the very next morning, she told her MIL that she was going to see her parents and left the house immediately to avoid any kind of interaction with any other family member.

As soon as she reached her parents’ house, she burst into tears. Her heart was filled with pain, sadness, and fear for months which all started flowing from her eyes. Her parents tried to console her but they knew they were not capable enough to fight against those people. If it came out, society would accuse their daughter and their life would become miserable. Sumedha didn’t want her parents to suffer this mental and social agony, so she also chose to stay quiet but she was sure that she couldn’t go back there.

She spent the next few days and nights just thinking and thinking and finally she told her parents about her decision.

“Ma Papa, I had decided to surrender myself and take Deeksha under Gurumata,” Sumedha said firmly. Sumedha and her parents were great devotees of Gurumata for many years.

This was shocking to her parents but after giving it a sincere thought, they agreed. They didn’t want to send her back to that unsafe place and also didn’t intend to hinder her spiritual journey. They convinced themselves that this is God’s wish and would be best for their daughter. When the news reached to her in-laws, Suhas and her FIL remained silent. Her MIL tried taunting and daunting but it was not of any use. Sumedha was firm. This was her first step towards her journey of freedom. She not only freed herself with worldly relations and life but also freed her parents from the responsibility and agony they would have carried lifelong.

Present Day -

Suhas and his father entered Ma Smitpragya’s room folding hands and teary-eyed. The regret and embarrassment were clearly visible on their faces.

“Whatever we had done with you, we only deserve punishment but still we sincerely seek your forgiveness. Somehow we gathered the courage to face you. We are really very sorry.” Suhas and his father spoke with a heavy heart. Suhas told her that his father accepted his foul deed in front of him and his mother. His mother couldn’t bear the pain and fell ill. After a few years, she passed away. The girl he loved, got married to someone else. They were living a suffocated life with this guilt.

Ma Smitpragya smiled and very calmly said, “Please don’t feel guilty. In fact, I should be thankful to you. Whatever happened, led me to find a way to understand the real meaning of life, soul, and God and seek spiritual enlightenment. I made myself free from all the baggage of animosity and bitterness. I already proceeded towards a journey where I can serve people and help them to enlighten themselves. I assure you that I don’t have any ill-feelings or grudge against you.”

After hearing these words, their minds filled with honor and respect for her. Suhas and his father felt peaceful and content after receiving forgiveness. It felt like someone removed tons of baggage from their heart and they can finally breathe freely.

Forgiveness leads to freedom not only for oneself but for others as well.

ratan likes this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@muggs,

I really enjoyed reading this story. "Forgiveness leads to freedom" is an apt title for this story. Forgiveness is a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or a group who has harmed us, regardless of whether they deserve our forgiveness or not. Forgiveness is not forgetting evil acts, nor condoning of offense, sin or hatred. It is understanding the emotions associated with hurt feelings and making a commitment to feel better. It is not reconciliation with the person who offended us but recognizing distress is due to our own emotions and thoughts and not the words or actions of others. Hurting for a prolonged period of time is equivalent to giving away power to someone else. It is setting oneself free from the clutches of deep emotions and hurt feelings that let us embrace a prolonged painful experience. The forgiveness is to be cultivated by oneself in times of difficulties, trials and tribulations that one is forced to meet. The quality of Kshama is the greatest power for a human being that sets one free.

Viswa

muggs and ratan like this.
  3. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

You have given the real meaning of forgiveness in a very nice and simple way. Let go of all past grudges and move forward is real freedom. Very well written.:clap2:

muggs likes this.
  4. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @Viswamitra sir for taking out time and reading this story.:blush:

I completely agree with every point you mentioned. You have given a succinct depiction of Kshama and how it leads to Freedom.

5. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Thanks so much @ratan for
    Thanks a lot @ratan for your lovely and encouraging comment:hearteyes:.. You said correctly "Letting go the past only will let us move forward" :thumbup:

ratan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@muggs,

I have also nominated this story as the finest post, if you have not noticed it already.

muggs likes this.
  7. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much sir for your kind gesture.
    Sorry about not replying there as I didn't get notification for that thread, I didn't realize. :pensive: