1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To work or not to work!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by justanothergirl, Nov 2, 2012.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

No worries TC...I do hope that we truly move away from stereo-typed roles at least some point in the near future.

2. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Ideally, this is the best solution, but practically we go by the norms and diktats of the society.

1 person likes this.
  3. kuttettan

kuttettan Silver IL'ite

I would love to love your thoughts here, justanothergirl. Change is a thing that I would vote for, all the time.

Men do HAVE the damn rights to stay at home. Where is this right denied? Who is gonna stop him? The thing here is... Is it worth fighting for? Fight for a damn right for a male to not work? What good is it gonna lead to? Better care for the kids? When it comes to being a home maker, we males claim that we can be the better ones at it. Might be true too (there are such cases). The point is, we are not as half as good as home makers than you graceful ladies. (Take a bowBow)

Speaking in logical sense, is there anything wrong in being a SAHD? Hell No! As far as there is an income, there isn't a problem. But then again how much compatible a SAHD/or his kids would be in this male dominated place? That friction always would be there. Ask me, I know "that" friction!

2 people like this.
  4. BharatS

BharatS Gold IL'ite

I agree with this, and ofcourse as long as circumstances support. It is not about earning money or getting into well paid job. It is about being useful...to ourselves and others(could be anyone from family to others)

2 people like this.
  5. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

i am fine with dh taking a break for studying purpose, but i would definitely expect him to work after he has finished his course. i have taken the liberty of resigning from job to take care of family and be with him and i feel he has the full liberty to do so when i am in the job. i would be happy when i am working and he wishes to study etc. there needs to be atleast one person who is able to earn for the family for the other to take a break. however if he is the sole breadwinner then definitely a no for him to take a break. so everything depends on the circumstances of the family and necessities.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pamela15

Pamela15 Silver IL'ite

justanothergirl,

I saw this thread today, and interestingly, at a time when my DH is considering starting something of his own. I am with him, though I know it is going to be tough moving out from a regular salaried job to something new. This new venture will give him a lot of flexibility to do things that he always wanted to do, but could not due to various reasons. Initially the thought did freak me out, but I do not want to 'clip' his wings now, hoping that I too can fly with him in future.

7. Pamela15

Pamela15 Silver IL'ite

My thoughts too!
    We've heard so many parents say, 'Oh, I brought up my daughter like a son....' BUT NEVER EVER heard 'I brought up my son like a daughter' !!!
    Its because we NEVER want sons to do what daughters are brought up to do. I would appreciate if our generation brings up sons with the same humility that we teach our daughters. Nothing wrong in washing your soiled plate, or ironing your dress, or cooking a meal! Sons too need to learn this early. Glad to hear that there are parents who are working on it... one worry less for me - a mom of two gals! :)

3 people like this.
  8. Dreamer

Dreamer Silver IL'ite

You made some good points but I don't think any women would be interested in a man who chooses to be a homemaker. One of the reasons guys never choose such paths is because women despise them for it.

9. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

deleted. it is 9 years old thread, moderators should close .

i do understand, the view and points are good. even i wrote my views. but i do not think it is smart to reopen old threads.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020