1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Need Some Inputs About Pediatric Neurologist. Anyone Have Any Experience With Any Seizure Disorders?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by gknew, May 12, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi
    My son is 6 and a half yrs old.I observed one thing which happened today and a month back. His tongue was stuck for few seconds and his mouth went sidewards a little.He couldn't talk that time.
    Happened for 30 to 40 seconds and fine afterwards.He said he couldn't talk that time and not able to move his tongue that time. He is fine afterwards.His words are not very proper for one hour.After that, he talks normally and playing well. he was playing in cold water before that happened.He didn't drink enough water or ate food. His mouth will be always dry in the morning because he will open his mouth during the sleep and snores sometimes.
    This happened in the morning. He ate his breakfast late. He was playing in water. Since lockdown, he is not going out and not in sunshine for past 2 months. Whether all these could be the reason?
    The same thing happened one month back. But that was like twitching his mouth and no tongue stuck. He was not even aware that it happened.Happened when he was sleeping. It was 20 seconds and then he was normal.

The same twitching thing happened when he was 3 yrs old once.For 10seconds during sleep and he was fine after that.
    Is this normal? Did anyone have any experience like this with your kids?
    If so, please share your inputs.
    Anyone from Atlanta reading this post? Please suggest a pediatric neurologist if you know.

P.S: I had a visit with my kid's pediatrician today. She gave a referral for a neurologist. Not pediatric neurologist. Looks like there is a long wait time for neurologist appointments.

Thank you.

2. Priyadharshini7

Priyadharshini7 New IL'ite

Hi @gknew

History suggests convulsion symptoms. During a convulsion episode, the person experiences muscle rigidity or uncontrolled muscle spasm. The tongue is also a muscle. Convulsions are usually very brief. May last up to 2-3 minutes. I don't think it is a seizure disorder. Convulsions can occur during certain kinds of epileptic seizures (its more severe form), but you can have convulsions even though you don’t have epileptic seizures.

To rule out associated conditions, I would suggest consulting a pediatric neurologist. I am from India and I do not have any professional contacts in Atlanta. Look out for authorized online consultations. Telemedicine is growing, especially during the current pandemic situation. So, it is better to get a teleconsultation online from a pediatric neuro. You can re-confirm the diagnosis once the wait time is over to get an in-person second opinion.

Take care...

gknew likes this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

See if your neurologist will be able to give an online consultation.

gknew likes this.
  4. Mawa

Mawa New IL'ite

They will do eeg for your son. Only after looking at the reports, doctor can suggest you something

gknew likes this.
  5. AVisenMD

AVisenMD New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am a medical doctor specializing in Neurology. Have you already met with a neurologist? If so, kindly share how your experience was. What I have to add here is yes, children do have seizures, but its more subtle than adults and often goes unnoticed. It is called "Absence Seizures" and it typically looks like the child is day-dreaming, though what you mentioned can also occur. It often lasts only for a few seconds and can be triggered by hyperventilation (breathing rapidly) or flashing of lights.
    Ask me questions, if you have any.