1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions On Toddler Brain Development

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by AmulB, May 13, 2020.

1. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies, can you please suggest on how to make kids learn and improve brain development. My kids both are toddlers under 3.5. Since the lockdown started it’s really hard to take time to sit with them and teach as with the daily chores and looking after kids is taking away all the time. My kids both take lot of time in eating, it takes around 1-1.5hr for each meal to feed them. In a day 4-5hrs of time is gone in feeding the kids and I want to utilize that feeding time in teaching them alphabets phoenics , numbers Etc I think in India by 3.5yrs kids already know to write and say all the alphabets. In US it’s so slow and they take it easy on kids. And now that preschool is closed there’s not much learning. They are mostly opting for entertainment like iPad time or watch tv.. I play songs while exercising and they seem to be enjoying watching songs and dance and keep asking for more. When I sit down to do some activity of learning my elder one doesn’t seem to be interested at all. My little one is v sharp and picks up almost anything and answers. And I don’t want to compare and show elder one as she gets praised by my DH that she knows things that elder one doesn’t. I want to know ways to communicate w Kids and make them
    Learn pre k activities at home.
    My kid still cannot write alphabets or recognizing them correctly. we tried the white board w dry erase pens and made them write but they only like to scribble or play w pens. I also tried old school methods with slate and chalk and that didn’t seem to work as both fight and end up throwing it away. Please suggest ... tia

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

In US, parents work very hard with kids. I used to think they don't but, parents, grandparents, nannies, all are constantly working with the kid- to educate and teach about every day life. They make it look very easy. Please look for YouTube videos.

Few pointers:
    Google- what to teach 3 year old/ milestones for 3 year old/ preschool work (or worksheet) for 3 year old.
    Based on the result, list down what things they should work on (brain dump)
    Make sublist for 3 months, 6 months, 1 year etc. Keep this safe.
    You cannot rely fully on the school, unless it is Montessori. There too you have make a lot of at-home efforts.

Short Term:
    You can use Kumon books from Amazon, for tracing, cutting, coloring etc. They are in levels start with a level you think is okay and work upwards. Copy the sheets from book and work on it each day, with each child.

Using play dough and make small stuff.

Get toddler safe scissors and work to cut.

Get tracing and coloring pages for Alphabets and general stuff like birds/ animals, and color/ trace, everyday.

Get book of stickers. Lots of it.

You will have to setup a work space :), with kids size tables, chairs, and easel, markers, crayons etc

All above, in addition to taking time to talk while kids eat or bath etc. Take time to talk to them when they are doing their daily activities and include small information in there and repeat that information. Eg. Do you like hot food? hmm or cold? Fruit is sweet, curry is spicy, I love rice, do you? Wash your hands before eating, right?
    Want to go for walk? IT is cold outside- what do we wear? What is the weather like today?

Hope it helps.

AmulB likes this.
  3. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

@hermitcrab thanks for all ur suggestions. I am trying few YouTube videos but like I said my elder one doesn’t pay interest. He got used to watching kids shows and is addicted to that. I am slowly trying to get that habit off. Since he wasn’t eating I gave iPad tiMe so he was eating while watching.
    We did set up a work station for kids in my DH office room. Place is really a constraint right now in two bed apt. We have to take kids to their work station when he’s not working. And they do coloring and puzzles-Which they’re very interested in doing. And They do LEGO’s..
    the idea of amazon kumon stuff is great. I’m getting those workbooks and scissor activity pad.
    Play dough - I’m concerned if they would put in mouth.. as sometimes they do with crayons. And I watch them continuously until done. I will try it after few months maybe.
    And I saw big posters that amazon is selling for pre k activities. Like numbers, alphabets, days, weather etc it’s very good. Hoping to start daily routine of teaching....

4. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

I’m not sure which state in US you belong. I feel kids here are more aware. I know kids as young as 1.5 yrs picking up books from library to read. since lock down you can’t take them there. Library offers best for kids. I’ve seen parents bringing their kids daily. I’ve volunteered as a story teller at the library.
    I know kids under 2 saying ABCs , identifying them. Telling numbers 1-20. Actually solving zig zag puzzles. Depends on daycare/ family interest/ tv they watch.
    Youtube videos chu chu tv has phonetics. Wal-Mart has so many alphabet games to be exact spark brand. Melissa & dough have wooden blocks, lock and key helping in motor skills. Introduce them to painting. Check Montessori toys on amazon.

AmulB likes this.
  5. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

@getstrngth thanks for the suggestions. We do have Melissa n dough block puzzles and jigsaw puzzles. They do all that with fun.. abc’s they sing like a song but not individually. They do identify albhabets but still cannot write or read. When ever I put chu chu tv elder one doesn’t want... younger enjoys those rhymes but elder one got used to elder kids shows and interesting in watching those. Slowly cutting down that time now and trying to use in making them do more activities... trying to get more ideas on how to
    Set a routine for toddlers.. everything we have to get two sets as they fight for every single thing one holds. And these cat fights r getting bad day by day..

6. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

I can totally understand with toys.
    I think expecting them to write is hard. They are young. First get them interested in painting, motor skills . Then slowly into writing.
    I’m sure you must be having two sets of alphabets. Ask them who will identify first. Try writing on a chart and play a game. Good you are cutting screen time. Instead give them a cut, paste , coloring activities. Sign up for Crayola new letters, they provide lots of activities. each week choose a letter and since a rhyme + activity like coloring. Eg A for Apple. Sing apple and banana rhyme. Make an apple shape ask them to color. So they can associate and learn.

dimpleanand2002 and AmulB like this.
  7. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

Thank you. Very good suggestion... I will try to implement.

getstrngth likes this.
  8. dimpleanand2002

dimpleanand2002 Junior IL'ite

Let's not compare countries, kids are kids. Their surroundings motivate them to pick certain things. And of course, as caregivers, we also have some major roles to play.

Now, you may wonder - what different can you do, that you are not doing already?

I share the tips that I used and they worked successfully.

You may try pasting some papers on the walls or get washable paints on the walls.

Most kids who do not like to write on paper, they like to write on walls and floors. Let them do it freely. Young parents, especially first-time parents feel that it would be a long time habit and kids would spoil all the walls.

But it is not so. When kids start to learn in their natural surroundings on the sand, walls, water, pulses, with vegetable peelings, etc. they remember faster. This is how my son learned during toddlerhood and he's a sharp, intelligent teenager now.

When you come to comparison, there is no limit. In every society, there are contrasting examples. Even in India, for many years, kids were sent to school when they reached the age of 5 (and I belonged to that generation).

I have seen some of the brilliant people coming from that old school, where they were admitted and learned their first alphabet at the age of 5+.

Believe me. It doesn't matter much if they learned their alphabet at age 3 or 5; if your baby is overall healthy, active, responsive, and follows instructions.

Moreover, you can set up an activity center, tent house, or playard at home. Kids love spending their time and making the best use of their imagination in a make-belief world. I am sure it would help the baby learn things faster.

Lockdown and corona times are testing for working parents as well as for every parent. Have patience and soon enough this time will pass. Meanwhile, you may find some useful tips on this website.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020