1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Say No To Inlaws??

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Ria84, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Ria84

Ria84 Bronze IL'ite

Really doing most of the work here and some of them I dont like doing..cant even say I dont want to....Also Have been doing so much, didn't want to do what he said. Have said NO to my kids too when I felt I didn't feel like doing what they wanted. Also to my husband too. Because its so easy to say NO to kids and husband.

Many people think that DIL is there to do what others want. Someone mentioned in this forum that FIL cant enter the kitchen. Why cant he...seriously it's his house.
    Btw...my fil has been cooking from his college days. Also he got a wife who has a mental illness, she never did much of anything and her mil used to curse her always that she let's her son do everything in the house. She was alive few years after I got married...she used to always say the above about her dil to me when we both were alone.

2. sridharvijji

sridharvijji Bronze IL'ite

You can request him to consider other given options as you have a strong reason...you are overly burdened with work and tirelessly working.. obviously you are tired .
    Murukku can be done at home or bought from outside also .
    In this pandemic situation with no servants and extra workload it is not easy to load with extra works everyday .
    You can choose to say no today but can agree to do it on another day if you are willing to or order Snack stuff from outside.
    From what you have written You FIL Doing murukku for himself and all of you .. hats off to him ..
    He choose to make murukku rather then choosing to make an issue out of it .

3. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    From reading your post and replies I don't think this is just about the snacks or muruku, I guess there is something more to it that you want to vent about.

I have a few questions if you don't mind:
    Growing up did you have a different approach to prayer and puja? You seem to be very upset in the way your in-laws are expecting you to do puja.

When your FIL did the snacks on that day did they say something that hurt you?

Are you feeling that your family including husband, kids and inlaws have not appreciated or acknowledged the work you put it?

Or is it just that, with the pandemic you feel overwhelmed with everyone staying at home and you are not able to get that small break you used to take when it was the ex normal life?

4. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

Just a small reminder of your own post from long back.. remember those days and go about
    Sep 13, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Ria84Senior IL'ite
    On my Birthday...everyone wished me...she (MIL) was there itself...she never bothered to wish me... Why does she act like that??

It was sweet of my FIL to prepare some Payasam and my husband to prepare some fried stuff for me on my birthday.

5. Ria84

Ria84 Bronze IL'ite

Inlaws are not bad but decent people but in the past there are many instances where I was treated like an outsider. I just kept quiet. I do treat them with respect.

Just last week prepared sweets for nag panchami which I never wanted to prepare but did it cause Fil asked me to do. So didn't have the mood/desire to do what he wanted this week. Felt boring.

Am staying mostly at home due to this pandemic and am frustrated.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  6. Ria84

Ria84 Bronze IL'ite

Yes maam, am not complaining about him but was asking how can I say NO without offending them.

I do a lot and was in no mood of doing anything.

Also abt the birthday thing..he had done some special things for my birthday one or twice..which was nice of him. I too do special things for his birthday every year and also on MiLs, husbands and kids birthday too.

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

With outsiders the best way to say No is keep it brief, give none or minimal reason which helps in avoiding debate around the No. With people living in the same house as you, use a kinder No, accompanied by a suitable reason, and sometimes add an offer like "will make next week."

Not related to your question but still saying: The daily pooja room cleaning, washing 24 diyas, cotton wicks dipped in ghee... it is a lot of work yes, but do these if it brings peace to your mind and mostly feels good. If you have to do them and there is no choice, then, slowly work towards doing this with no resentment. Completing house work chores with some grumpiness is OK but pooja and prayer related stuff should bring some peace, joy and calm.

All that being said, I am a bit like you. If someone who can make himself/herself make murukkus asks me to make murukkus on a day when I didn't plan that myself, I would not be too pleased at having to dispense a No to the request. Something about making a request to an already busy, overworked person puts me off.

8. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Would you want him to enter? Sometimes you should not wish for things that will make your life difficult in the future. Everyone here understands your pain, but some problems have no good solution. Thanks to lockdown, people can't go out, bored in the house, feel like snacking. Yes, people take advantage sometimes. In your case, don't put too much effort into pushback. He did it, it's done. Let him enjoy his snacks. If he asks or expresses disappointment, then politely tell him the reason why you cannot do it. Don't beat yourself up for it. Your husband could have done it, but he didn't, it's his fault, not yours.

9. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

As everyone has said you might not be able to say a NO downright. So one of the way, would be to ask them for a head's up if something special is to be prepared, so you can accommodate it. If you are too tired or not interested just say sorry not today.

One thing to remember is there is no kind way to say NO, the other person will always feel bad and always saying yes will hurt you.
    So the best way is to find balance. And it is okay to prioritise yourself. And if you don't do it and they are still insistent on themselves doing it, well enjoy the snacks.

And yes it is very frustrating to always be on commands..do this do that.. and that too when you are already doing a lot. Just express you are tired or be honest and tell you are not interested to do it right now.

10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Why don't ask your MIL or FIL to do the Pooja room rituals if they are interested. In many home grand parents take care of it. You can say No, but find ways to do it diplomatically as you are living with them. Also involve everyone in househokd jobs and ask for help to everyone including your husband. Please don't overload yourself.